Logging on the Carlo Col Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don L

Reaction score
Anyone planning to hike in the Mahoosucs should not plan to use the Carlo Col Trail. Logging operations have obliterated about a half mile of the lower section of the trail. The logging is ongoing and more of the trail will be lost. There is a considerable amount of slash and a tangled mess of downed trees to negotiate to get to the upper end of the trail. Right now the trail is difficult to impossible to follow, and these guys won't be watching for hikers.
Happy Hiking,
Don L

Do you mean the section that's a grassy road near the bottom?

How about the Goose Eye Trail? That converges in there somewhere, doesn't it?

I hesitated on whether to post this, as the timing may be a bit premature... Those of you who have been enjoying the trails in the central Mahoosucs around the NH/ME state line should know about the recent changes in land ownership that affect hikers on the Notch Trail, Carlo Col and Goose Eye Trails, and Success Trail, as well as outdoor enthusiasts enjoying the rest of Success Twp (or at least the part of it north of the AT corridor). This area is owned by the TR Dillon company. Some of what I've heard is going on in the area (from reputable sources) makes me very upset. Can't post particulars but it seems to confirm his rep as a lumber liquidator. I found out about Dillon's ownership shortly after the sale and it's been real frustrating not being able to do much of anything about it.

If you care about this area, please contact anyone who you feel has leverage in the land conservation community, and express your concern and ask what can be done.

The following is an excerpt of a letter I wrote recently to some prominent state officials & heads of conservation organizations.

==============

I am writing because I am very concerned about the unincorporated township of Success, just east of the city of Berlin.

In case you were not aware, the bulk of this township was put up for sale by John Hancock Natural Resources in 2003 and was purchased on February 18, 2004 by T R Dillon Logging of Anson, Maine (cf. Coos County Registry of Deeds book 1071 p 0274). Logging operations have since proceeded on this property. While I am not qualified to judge Dillon’s forestry practices, Mr. Dillon has a reputation of being a “lumber liquidator” i.e. one who harvests timber as heavily as possible, in an unsustainable manner, and then sells off the property into smaller portions for real estate developers to subdivide into camps and second homes. That such a fate should come to this property would be tragic, and particularly ironic given the name “Success”.

I have enclosed some maps of the area. I am most concerned about the foothills of the Mahoosuc Range, between Success Pond Road and the narrow Appalachian Trail corridor. There are four trails (Success Trail, Carlo Col Trail, Goose Eye Trail, and Notch Trail) which cross the T R Dillon property and lead to summits with superb views and fewer crowds than the more heavily-traveled sections of the White Mountains. These are among my favorite hikes in New Hampshire; I have hiked all of the trails from Gentian Pond to the main (west) peak of Goose Eye and am planning to hike the rest of the Mahoosuc Range trails. I usually come here a few times a year. I’ve visited Mt Success five times and plan to go back again in September.

Road access to these trails, parking at the trailheads, and use of the trails by the general public are now subject to the whims of T R Dillon Logging. A large section of open alpine ledge known as “The Outlook”, which affords great views of the North Country and is a popular stopover for hikers on the way up to Mt Success, is owned by T R Dillon Logging. Should these trails be blocked off, it would make day hikes to Mt Success and Mt Carlo, though still possible from the southeast, very long and arduous.

The Mahoosuc Range has areas of great ecological significance, including rare subalpine bogs and heath balds. While the major ponds of the Mahoosuc Range and the summit of Mt Success are within US government ownership of the AT corridor, several miles of ridgeline in New Hampshire, and the surrounding alpine and subalpine environment, are owned by T R Dillon Logging. On the other side of the border, the State of Maine took the wise course of protecting 27,000 acres of the Mahoosuc Range as a Public Reserve Land, and has designated the boggy summits and nearby areas of that land as an 8,400 acre ecological reserve. I am saddened and frustrated that our state has not taken similar steps, and has let the ownership of Success Township pass to someone with a reputation of a lumber liquidator.

A few years back, International Paper had put up much of the town of Pittsburg for sale. I can remember reading it on front-page news and hearing it on the radio, and being very worried about what was going to happen. To those of you who helped protect that property as a long-term recreational, ecological, and timber resource, thank you so much. The IP deal is an example of what can happen when things get worked out for the best. I would like to see something similar happen to the township of Success. So far it hasn’t; this area seems to be one of the forgotten stepchildren of the North Country, and there’s been little news coverage in the Concord Monitor and the Union Leader. Success Township is unfortunately outside the White Mountain National Forest’s “proclamation boundary” and cannot be made part of the WMNF despite similar recreational and ecological characteristics as the Carter/Moriah range south of Rt 2, and despite the fact that intensive short-term logging, such as T R Dillon seems to be pursuing, was one of the major reasons the Weeks Act was passed and WMNF was created nearly a hundred years ago.

The narrow grassy road has been widened to a road capable of carrying large logging trucks. From where the trail entered the woods at the end of the grassy road and for at least 1/4 mile (maybe further today) there is no longer a trail. It's a tangled mess of slash and downed trees that is not passable.
I believe most of the Carlo Col Trail followed old woods or logging roads and the trail corridor is the path of least resistance to Carlo Col. It appears the cutting operation will follow this route as far up as they intend to go.
What is really frustrating to me is that I am the adopter of the Carlo Col Trail. When I got the trail five years ago it had lots of overgrown sections and drainages in poor condition. I just about got the maintenance situation under control and in a few more weeks a considerable portion of the trail could be gone.
When I was coming out yesterday I encountered one of the largest bull mooses I'd ever seen. He had a difficult time getting around the mess also.
Happy Hiking,
Don L

I'd always wondered who maintained the Carlo Col trail, it's always been one of the finest maintained trails in the Whites, in my opinion. Thanks, Don.
The logging has also affected Speck Pond trail. I was up doing a loop this Spring and found a huge amount of clearing towards the bottom. The trail was still there at that time, but hard to follow. Very sad that this area of incredible beauty and solitude should meet a fate like this. Very true, this is why the Weeks Act was initiated, and I hope that something can be done. Can we write State Senators and Representatives?

I hear that the sign is missing from the Success trailhead and I fear heavy logging is affecting the whole lower slope of that side of the Mahoosucs. Carlo and Goose Eye trails leave together, so I'm sure that the same problem plagueing Carlo will affect Goose Eye.
Maybe give it a try anyway. Count your mileage on odometer from the start of the road to the Success trailhead and end up at Carlo, that way, even if you lose the trail, a short bushwhack downhill through slash and you should find the road.
Good luck. If you do go, let us know what you find.

Greg said:
I'd always wondered who maintained the Carlo Col trail, it's always been one of the finest maintained trails in the Whites, in my opinion. Thanks, Don.
Ditto. It is (was? :( ) in nice shape. Thanks. Hope AMC is supporting you & is quickly starting a conversation w/ the landowner to get the trail back under control... (if not, let us know who to squawk to)

the root of the problem is a landowner, who, unlike previous timber / paper companies, seems interested in being neither a good neighbor nor a good steward. Until he does something illegal for logging practices, or applies for subdivision or something, the ball is in his court & he can do what he wants w/ the place.

Greg said:
I hear that the sign is missing from the Success trailhead
Not from the trailhead (which is at a log landing 0.5mi in on the right fork of a spur road from Success Pond Rd), but from the spur road. The spur road has a signpost and a wooden square, just not the sign which attaches to it.

Greg said:
and I fear heavy logging is affecting the whole lower slope of that side of the Mahoosucs.
I agree there.

Last edited:
arghman said:
Ditto. It is (was? :( ) in nice shape. Thanks. Hope AMC is supporting you & is quickly starting a conversation w/ the landowner to get the trail back under control... (if not, let us know who to squawk to)
the root of the problem is a landowner, who, unlike previous timber / paper companies, seems interested in being neither a good neighbor nor a good steward. Until he does something illegal for logging practices, or applies for subdivision or something, the ball is in his court & he can do what he wants w/ the place.

Before becoming confrontational, it may be worthwhile to appraoch the landowner with an olive branch! At some point in the future, he will need public support! Hopefully he can be persuaded to appear wise enough to realize that!

Fred

I have been told that the Carlo Col Trail is now passable. There is a new road (over the old logging road and part of the trail) that may be driveable for most vehicles. But it may still be prudent to park at the parking area at Success Pond Rd as there is still cutting in the vicinity of the trail (but not on the trail). I understand the slash has been cleared enough so the trail is no longer blocked.
Should also note that the logging does extend over to and along the Goose Eye Trail.
The AMC is keeping a watchful eye on the area and they have been in contact with the logging company's forester. Evidently the company is trying to minimize damage or disruption to the trails in the area.
I'll be back up in the area in the next couple of weeks and will post notice of any problems.
Happy Hiking,
Don L

Great news, Don! It's good to hear that the AMC's on the case and that Dillon is making an effort.

Speck Pond trail?

What's the condition of the Speck Pond trailhead from Success Pond Road? Has the recent logging impacted this area?

thanks,
Teej

TJ aka Teej said:
What's the condition of the Speck Pond trailhead from Success Pond Road? Has the recent logging impacted this area?
Can't vouch for personal observations, but I am told the Dillon property in question is entirely within NH. Those parcel(s) of private property in Maine southeast of Success Pond Rd and outside the state-owned Public Reserve Land are not owned by Dillon. Not sure who owns them, though, or what the owners' timber plans are.

(edit: the Dillon property includes most of the Success Trail [all of it up to the AT corridor], significant portions of the Carlo Col and Goose Eye Trails [until they reach the Maine border], and a small portion of the Notch Trail or at least the spur road to the trailhead. The Speck Pond Trail is entirely with in Maine as far as I know.)

Last edited:
I was last on the Speck Pond Trail on Sept 21. The trail head had not impacted by the logging; the trail head sign was there, the parking area was fine. The trail adopter had put a sign on the trail to warn of logging operations. The only disruption I found was about 1 1/2 to 2 miles in there had been cutting near the trail. In numerous places a skidder had crossed perpendicular to the trail and created gaps. But they left clumps of trees that the trail passed through. It was necessary to pay attention, but the trail wasn't too difficult to follow. There are some good views to the north in the open areas.
I was on the Success Trail on Sept 24. Except for the missing trail sign on Success Pond Rd this trail was in good shape. The trail sign where the trail enters the woods at the old log yard is still there.
Hope this helps.
Happy Hiking,
Don L

arghman said:
Can't vouch for personal observations, but I am told the Dillon property in question is entirely within NH. Those parcel(s) of private property in Maine southeast of Success Pond Rd and outside the state-owned Public Reserve Land are not owned by Dillon. Not sure who owns them, though, or what the owners' timber plans are.

(edit: the Dillon property includes most of the Success Trail [all of it up to the AT corridor], significant portions of the Carlo Col and Goose Eye Trails [until they reach the Maine border], and a small portion of the Notch Trail or at least the spur road to the trailhead. The Speck Pond Trail is entirely with in Maine as far as I know.)

The logging laws differ greatly fom NH and ME In NH you can do anything you want. In Me as in VT you are much more regulated clearcuts (5 acres ) are limited in size and also there is more watershed protection . I doubt that the land in ME will be affected I might know who owns it but will not post it publicly. Also There is a very good reason why our favorite non profit is so quite. hint Huts (Mahoosac Center? in Carlo Col Hmm the logging operetion is lets say not the usual logging set up I have seen or worked why build a road to support heavy trucks when a Skidder is much more effcient and cheaper. ? ) in the Mahousacs ,a long time ambition / dream resort of the Non Profit . Look for a Save the Mahoosacs fund raiser soon . I have this from a very relaible source and I am a logger in both states

Last edited: