1/1/07 - 1/2/07 Hermit Lake/Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
Nice little trip...

Monday started out with a long drive North. Started hiking at about 1pm. Got up to Hermit Lake around 3pm. Hung out, ate some food, and walked around. It got dark just after 4:30pm quickly. Around 9pm the clouds blew away and the moon was almost full. The view up to the Ridge and into Tuck's was Heavenly!

Tuesday started out waking up warm actually sweating in my sleeping bag. It was only 23 in the morning, but it was about 32-33 most of the night. Ate some quick breakfast and set out with day pack for the summit via Lion's Head Trail. Everything was going great on the hike up. Most of the Ridge and the summit where in the clouds and blowing snow, but it was a pleasant hike. The Lion's Head Trail climbed out of the trees and into the WIND. Avg. summit wind was around 70mph with gusts a lot faster. I think I know when the gust of 115mph hit because I hit the ground near Lion's Head which was scary knowing of the hiker that feel off. The higher I went the higher the wind speeds got and the colder the temps got. At the junction of Alpine Garden and Lion's Head I met a couple of guys that where turing back. I continued on and got somewhere around where the Tuck's Trail connects back with Lion's Head Trail, but the only issue was I couldn't see very far and could not find where the trail lead after a set of 3 closely aligned cairns. I turned back due to loosing sight of the trail, foggy googles, and near white out conditions with temps dropping quickly. Only .5 miles to a winter summit of Mt. Washington. I was disappointed, but safe. Back at Hermit Lake the weather report for Wednesday looked cold and not much better than today. I packed up and drove home.

It feels strange to think I was up near the summit early this afternoon and now I'm sitting at home on the couch typing about my adventure.

Does anyone know if there was an avalanche in Tuck's today (Monday). While I was hiking up I heard a huge rumble that sounded like a frieght train falling down a mountain.

Go figure when I returned to Hermit Lake it looked like the Ridge was clearing and by the time I got down to PNVC the clouds where gone and visibilty looked great. New England wait 5 minutes and things change!

It was super windy in CT that day, I think I read the winds was over 100 on the summit that very day, you were smart to turn around. :)
kmac