1/1/07 - 1/3/07 Mini Vacation - Going Hiking - Looking for partner...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
I'm planning on a 3 day, 2 night trip on the north side of the Carter Range.

Day 1 - Getting a late start on New Year's Day (for obvious reasons) 1/1/07 hiking into Rattle River Shelter via south on the Rattle River Trail. It's only a 1 hour hike in/ 1.7 miles of no big hills.

Day 2 - Wake up and get a lot early start than the day before. Hike south on the Rattle River Trail, Kenduskeag Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail, summit Mt. Moriah, continue south on Carter -Moriah Trail to Imp Shelter.

Day 3 - A slow start morning to hike out to Rt. 16 via Stoney Brook Trail or even Imp Trail (north) after summiting North Carter Mt. (if up to it). If I do get a partner than we can spot a car. If no partner I will be hitching back to Rt. 2 Rattle River Trail Head.

If anyone is interested in joining me or if they have another similarly length trip they are going on those days please email me or reply.

[email protected]

I've also never gone from Rattle River Shelter to summit Mt. Moriah to Imp shelter. Does anyone have experiance going this route and how was it. I've gone south from Stoney Brook to Carter Notch Hut before and very much liked the trail and it's views of the Presis.

Brent,
Rattle River shelter is a very nice spot. You will get there a lot faster than you expect. From Rattle River shelter, once you start the climb it is moderately steep up to Kenduskeag trail. Good footing on many steps from what I recall. A side trip to the gem of this range, Shelburne Moriah, is well worth it (I'm guessing it's ~3.5 mile RT - drop pack in good weather). Rolling terrain skirting Middle Moriah and then a short steeper climb to Carter Moriah Trail (this col holds a lot of snow if that becomes a factor). From Moriah summit to Imp Shelter is a fantastic open section over ledgy terrain with many views of the Presis, Carters, and Wild River Valley. If water levels/ice are an issue down low on Stoney Brook Trail, you can go straight on an old jeep road at the sharp right on the Stoney Brook trail to avoid all the crossings (about .4 miles from Rt 16). These Pictures should give you a bit of an idea what to expect. This is the climb to Middle Moriah should you decide to do the side trip

Last edited: