1 pole, 2 poles, or no poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find i'm using them a bit less this year. Usually their on my pack when climbing and scrambling. If it's wet and slippery, stream crossings, or the decent is a steady "rock walk down" i'll break them out.

I find i use them a bit more when packing with a full pack both climbing and decending.

IN winter they are in use most of the time.

Two, when babypacking or carrying photo gear in summer, and always in winter.

Very useful when you have 27 lbs. of squirming cargo on your back.

<<<< Isaac is still mastering the single pole technique.

I also started out using them only when skiing or snowshoeing.

I forgot them in the garage last hike and came to realize how much they actually help on descents!!!

So now I always hike with 2 poles ( 3 if I'm with Szablewski)

KZ

i like 2 poles...makes me feel like a bear!
they also help me slow down on descents which saves me from sore thigh syndrome.

good info for the unaware...

I was having some serious knee issues last year...really scared me....thought my days of hiking were over...so I looked into it...sounded like poles might help my problem...did some research and came across this site:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

I found it to be an incredible resource, as I really feel one with my poles when I'm out there now...they've just become an extension of my body and I feel much more suited for trail walking...I honestly can't hike without them...I actually went on a short hike up Tom and Field one VERY cold and wet day...my girlfriend forgot to pack gloves so I gave her mine...as a result I had to descend with my hands in my pockets...I know I know....believe me I was quite nervous about it, and I was going quite slow and carefully...and still by the end of the descent my knee was screaming...and this was only with a daypack...since I've started using the poles, full 35 lb packs for 20-30 mile loops haven't bothered my knee abit...for anyone with knee pain when they hike, it's foolish not to try out the poles...just make sure you visit the page above and learn how to use them properly...such as putting your weight on the strap, and using the alternate pole before you step down...seems like common sense, but I see people all the time practicing the death grip, and planting the same pole next to the same foot...