Water crossings 101

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Over the weekend I had to make a river crossing in the mountains. I was with a lady I started hiking with almost a year ago, she is experienced, but has much to learn. I told her to pack water shoes for the crossing, then at the trailhead, I decided they most likely wouldn't be needed. The crossing proved tougher to rock hop than I thought, so I decided to take off my boots and wade it barefoot. Keep in mind, my dog is tied to my pack with a 11 ft lead at all times. About halfway across my feet hurt so bad from jamming into the rocks, I basically fell into the river. I had undid my pack straps, so I was good there and my dog stayed right with me. I managed to basically crawl across and get to the other side, but it was ugly. The lady I was with was standing on the other side looking like, I committed a crime she wanted no part of. I shouted to her to wade with her boots on and she made it across safely boots on. I must be getting old, in the old days, I waded many rivers barefoot, but this was my last. My crocs will be tied to my pack hence forth. Just when you thought you knew it all. :rolleyes:

I wear trail runners that dry out quick so I just wade on through. If I am in the mood I take seat after the crossing and wring out my socks.

Over the weekend I had to make a river crossing in the mountains. I was with a lady I started hiking with almost a year ago, she is experienced, but has much to learn. I told her to pack water shoes for the crossing, then at the trailhead, I decided they most likely wouldn't be needed. . :rolleyes:
I think the same principal that governs snowshoe carrying applies to water shoes too. At least Crocs are not as heavy!

I wear trail runners that dry out quick so I just wade on through. If I am in the mood I take seat after the crossing and wring out my socks.
Interesting to know. I've just started a switch to trail runners after following an AT thru-hiker on YouTube who wore Hokas. I was surprised to see him just walk through any streams, but I guess it makes sense if they dry out fast enough.

Lots of claims made about Goretex liners for boots and when new they sort of work but in my experience, boots eventually get wet inside and take forever to dry and on heavy boots, they get even heavier. Most trail runners are mesh construction with inserts made out of materials that do not absorb water. Add in Merino wool socks that also do not absorb a lot of water and the combination dries out fast.

Lots of claims made about Goretex liners for boots and when new they sort of work but in my experience, boots eventually get wet inside and take forever to dry and on heavy boots, they get even heavier. Most trail runners are mesh construction with inserts made out of materials that do not absorb water. Add in Merino wool socks that also do not absorb a lot of water and the combination dries out fast.
I do enjoy the looks I get as I splash across the water crossings, without pause, from those sitting on a log putting on water shoes. It may be one of the primary reasons I quit wearing hiking boots for three season use.

Couple weeks ago I chatted with a thru hiker in the Hundred Mile of Maine, she said she removes her socks and liners from her trail runner shoes before crossings, doing them with bare foot in liner-less shoe. Haven't tried it yet.