19 miles in the Sandwich range - 10-20-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alspal

Reaction score
Peaks: Passaconaway, Whiteface, the Sleepers, the Tripyramids, the Fool Killer, and Scaur Peak
Time: 9:15:16

Splits: Passaconaway – 1:52:42
Whiteface – 1:15:45 (3:08:27) Break – 5:51
E. Sleeper – 51:12 (4:05:31)
W. Sleeper – 21:43 (4:27:15)
S. Tri – 42:54 Break – 9:42
N. Tri – 18:32 (5:38:24)
Fool Killer – 51:31 (6:29:56) Break – 23:06
Scaur – 1:15:05 (8:08:08)
Pine Bend Brook Trailhead – 1:07:07 (9:15:16)

Pictures: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s209/davedunham/2007 Oct weekend of hikes/

I pulled up to the Pine Bend Brook trailhead just before dawn. The rains from Friday night had passed and it looked like the clouds might burn off. Albee and Cory pulled up moments later and Sherpa John rolled up and did a quick 3-point turn on the Kanc to get his car in position. Everyone piled into my car and we took off for the Oliverian Brook trailhead.

What a fashionable bunch they were, jumping out of the car in a wide variety of gear. I felt totally under dressed as everyone went with jackets and pants (SJ went with tights). I was comfortable in shorts and a long sleeve. We headed off at a quick jog which was something of a surprise to me. I had put in 5 miles at 5 AM and was expecting to need to do another run after we finished. I didn’t know we were going to run as much as possible.

I held us up at the first stream crossing. Albee and SJ scooted across with no problem. Cory and I went further upstream and he made it across pretty easily. I’m not very flexible and also don’t have great balance. I searched a little further up stream and after fashioning a “hikening rod” I was across and back to running. We had a good time chatting about running, hiking, sports, women, etc. as we chewed up the miles. We also offered up congrats to SJ on his 26th birthday. He kept changing plans on how to celebrate and settled on a run with us in the mountains. It was definitely an honor that he’d share his special day with us. I had to backtrack at one point having dropped the map out of my back pocket. Fortunately I’m a bit obsessive compulsive and kept tapping the pocket to make sure the map was there. I only had to go about 200m to find the map and catch back up to the group. It was sort of important (at least to me) to have the map as I was the only one who brought one. The others had been over these trails before and really didn’t need a map.

I really thought the other guys overdressed as I took off the long sleeve very early into the run. We topped out on Passaconaway and took some pictures and were quickly headed to Whiteface. On Whiteface we dropped our packs at the trail junction and headed over to the ledges. Albee and SJ checked out the plaque on one of the ledges and I got a pic of Albee next to initials in the rock that looked a lot like “Al”.

We continued on mixing of running and hiking across the Sleepers. As always, I seemed to be in the back. I was making sure to pay out my energy for a full day of hiking and was also keeping in mind that we’d be hiking on Sunday. I’m also probably the worst descender in the NE. We went to East Sleeper and SJ caught a tree limb which cut a hole in his shirt. He seemed pretty unhappy about it; it must’ve been a favorite shirt. We then hit West Sleeper where Albee checked around to ensure that we hit the highest spot. We headed down the Sleeper trail and stopped at the slide for a quick break. I took the opportunity to change into dry socks. My feet we holding up well but the screw that holds my Navicular bone together was pissed at me for some reason and refused to be quiet. The climb up the slide was not something I enjoyed as I really don’t like exposed areas. SJ gave me a boost at one point, boy his hands were nice and warm :D

We bumped into our first hiker soon after South Tri and he got into a weird back n’ forth with SJ and Albee and we all came out not understanding what had been discussed. We bumped into a group of girls near N. Tri and they made a comment about our “great hustle”. We were pretty sure that the smell of Marijuana may have had something to do with how giggly the girls were, not our obviously charming selves.

On N. Tri we bid Sherpa John a found farewell. He was heading out for a birthday party and we were headed for our bushwhacks. The woods were excellent; this was the easiest whacking I’d done (outside of Vermont). We had little trouble with Albee and Cory each pretty sure about where they wanted to go, mostly I just hung out in the back and followed them.

We hit the trail and made short work of the run down Pine Bend brook. I was “off the back” a couple of times when it got rocky or steep. Albee showed his college steeplechase form hurdling trees that I had to climb over. We were back at the car with plenty of sunlight left. We drove back to my car (at Oliverian) and I was approached by a guy wondering “are there any trails back there”. I tried to explain that there were plenty of trails. He wanted to know “where can I go from here?” I told him it is 1.9 miles to the first trail junction and you can go ANYWHERE from there. :)

Last edited:
That guy on Middle TriPyramid was weird! We weren't being noisy or blocking the trail or anything, and when we stopped to offer some friendly greetings, he just scowled and grunted a few answers. It didn't seem like he was enjoying his hike very much. Maybe his life is so pleasant that he needed a miserable walk in the mountains to remind him of how much more enjoyable it is to work 40 hours per week!

Him: "Same Jones Group?"
Us: "Huh?"
Him: "Sam Joan's group?"
Us: "Um, yeah?"
Him: "How many?"
Us: "There are 4 of us..."

Us: "Where did you come up, Pine Bend Brook?"
Him: "Nope."
Us: "North Slide?"
Us: "Well, Scaur Ridge trail?"
Him: "Yep."
Us: "Have you seen anyone else out here?"
Us: "Well, okay then. Have a nice day. Alligator eggs!"
Him: "(grunts, then silence)"

Anyway, our split between West Sleeper and South TriPyramid would have been much faster if I didn't take that pee break. I forgot to get a split on that - I bet it was at least 2 minutes. Bet I coulda held it. :D