2 burner Stoves for road trips.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the stove works great. Tested it in the yard yesterday.

I understand that the stove needs priming (hence the generator tube running across the main burner) but what is the point of the lighting lever? I'm trying to equate these parts to the whisperlite so I can understand better how the coleman stove works but the whisperlite has only 1 valve where the coleman has 2 - the lighting lever (I'm assuming is a type of valve) and the main valve (and then there's the auxiliary burner valve but we can leave that out of the equation for now). Why do both lighting lever (only for about a minute) and main valve need to be open for priming?

Thanks.

For all the years I’ve used Coleman gasoline stoves I have followed the lighting directions by rote, and never had any problems with either getting the thing going or with flare-ups.

I’m not sure exactly what the lighting lever on my old Coleman two-burner gas stove does, or how. I do know the main valve regulates the flow of fuel from tank to (through) generator; the lighting lever operates some kind of choke mechanism, I suspect.

If you really are curious, you might take the tank and generator alone out into a wide open place, open the main valve to the lighting position, and observe what happens to the fuel stream when you move the lighting lever to different positions.

After the stove is running you will want to check the tank pressure (by how much resistance there is against the pump). It may need some pumping. When you start the second burner (only after the main burner is running well) you will notice the main burner flame dies down a bit. Open the main valve to compensate.

One reason I’ve always liked my Coleman gas stove is the simplicity of its operation. Even I can do it without running into problems.

G.

Good idea to test it out, though it would be fun to light it when you do that experiment. I always thought the lever was a little magic placebo switch. It never seems to do anything except make operation seem slightly more complicated, and give you something else to keep track of . "Honey, can you go set up the tent?" "Nah, I need to watch the lever on the stove so I can turn it down at just the right time. " :)