20 mile day hike suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Southern NH Suggestion

If you're not looking for total wilderness and something pretty level, I like the rail-trail that runs from Lake Massabesic (near Manchester) to Newmarket. It runs through a lot of nice woods and there are numerous road crossings that could serve as bailouts, resupply points etc. I did my 20-miler all on roads - I would have much preferred something like this. Twenty miles (of peaks) in the Whites would have been a bit much for some of the guys.
You'd also have fewer worries about weather and depending on how late in October, the foliage might actually be better down here.

Ridgewalker said:
TheChez- Here's a website from the Forest Service on guide permits: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/passes
While preparing for Philmont two summers ago we did hikes around the Pemi and the wilderness proper. We may both have much in common with the ranch.
As I may recall the guide permits were good for a year and you had to fill out paperwork (I may be wrong) and explain what your plans are. This documents were probably good for a year.

I couldn't find any information on a guide permit on that site.

USFS group permits.

Permits are theoretically required anytime a group uses the National Forest.

Contact Jennifer Batt in the Gorham Office (603) 466-2713 x 213.

No charge for non-profits like Boy Scouts.

I also used the White Mountains as conditioning backpacking trips for our Philmont crews.