20 mile day hike suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChez

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a 20+ mile hike in October in Maine or New Hampshire for a group of Scouts. Generally the boys have done a walk through Portland (sidewalks, yech!) for their 20 miler. I'd like to find something in the woods. A loop trail would be preferred, though a 10 mile that we go out and back on would be fine too, and we could drop a vehicle at the trail head if necessary. We're just looking for a nice area we could make good time on.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

TheChez said:
I'm trying to find a 20+ mile hike in October in Maine or New Hampshire for a group of Scouts. Generally the boys have done a walk through Portland (sidewalks, yech!) for their 20 miler. I'd like to find something in the woods. A loop trail would be preferred, though a 10 mile that we go out and back on would be fine too, and we could drop a vehicle at the trail head if necessary. We're just looking for a nice area we could make good time on.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
The Bonds or Owl's Head (from Lincoln Woods) are in that range. Owl's head would be a little easier.

If you wanted to drop a car/van, you could do the Pemi Hike Through. Start at Zealand, and come out via Lincoln Woods. Similar to what Tom mentions, but instead of an out & back, it goes all the way through and stays low. You are following old railroad grade for about 99% of it. It's real easy walking, and you get pretty remote in the middle (I think you are about eight miles in either direction from a road. Mind you, this is all along river(s), no peaks here.

If the boys are in hiking shape I'd second any of the above posts, and add the Grafton Loop Trail (east section) as a possibility. If hiking fitness is an issue, maybe the carrage roads in Acadia might be ideal.

Onestep

I'd vote for a Bonds/Zealand traverse, starting at Lincoln Woods since t-storms could still be an issue in October. By doing the Bonds (exposed) early in the day, you lessen the chance of being above treeline in the PM if it is stormy. Some prefer going N->S arguing it's slightly less elevation gain that way (true) but in the warm months S->N is a bit safer.

Have had to hunker down just north of Mt Bond on a couple of occasions to let a storm pass, so am from the 'have been there, done that' school.

Kevin

TheChez said:
Generally the boys have done a walk through Portland (sidewalks, yech!) for their 20 miler. I'd like to find something in the woods.
If sidewalks are the usual, perhaps you want something relatively level. Several thoughts come to mind:
* Lincoln Woods to Camp 13 Falls and back. Perhaps going around Owl's Head.
* LW, Wilderness Tr, Threau Pond Tr, Ethan Pond Tr, Shoal Pond Tr, WT, East Side Rd. (25 mi as described, several variations possible.) TPT right near the falls is a bit steep (but short), everything else is gentle.
* Zealand Tr to the EPT, TPT, SPT, and WT system.
* Carrigan Notch TR into the same system.

None of the above require a car spot.

Doug

Might I suggest hiking the rail bed from Lincoln Woods to Galehead and over to the Bonds and back. If that may be too much for one day, consider what Kevin Rooney suggested as alternative.

Something a little less aggressive that would still include mountain peaks is the Wapack Trail in Southern NH. It is 21 miles long and includes some very nice views from different sections. I did this with a VFTT group in 2004 and had a great time(despite a sore knee). It does have approx. 5,000 elevation gain, but most is mild grades.

Here is a link Wapack Trail

Took a while to post this, I also like DougPaul's suggestions.

Are they used to a lot of elevation gain? If not the Lincoln Woods to Zealand trip along the old rail grades makes more sense than trying to get up the Bonds or Owl's Head. Going around Owl's Head would work too but a few brook crossings in October might be chilly for any who fall in, a couple are tricky for the inexperienced trail hikers.

The Bonds are really great if they are up to it.

October, IMO is one of the two trickiest months for weather, greater potential for nice at the trailhead & winter like on the summit (as opposed to winter at both, November you should have a good idea it will be cold up top & many have some snow) It is not uncommon to have snow above 3500 feet after 10/20.

While potentially boring, are there any rail trails that might work?

if you are looking for an easier 20 miler, Camden Hills State Park has 30 miles of trails, according to the website: Camden Hills SP, and it's really close to Brunswick. It has nice views and possibly nice foliage, depending on when in October you go.

The risk factor for snow/cold for this hike is also a lot lower than doing high summits, if that is a factor in your decision.

Best regards,
Marty

If they are used to flat walking, perhaps you should stick to that for their first 20 miler. The wild river trail is fairly flat but interesting with some views, passes a pond, etc. This goes 11 miles from carter notch road in jackson to the wild river campground. over and back would be 22. The routes Dougpaul mentioned are good too.

Group size

What is your proposed group size? Just as a reminder, groups over 10 are discouraged in designated Wilderness. That is size, not age ;)

Was talking to a friend who leads outdoor trips for a school--he was required to get a permit for the WMNF--there was also a fee required. Don't know if this applies to the Boy Scouts.

The limit of 10 still applied to his trips and most likely applies here too.

A hint can be found at http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/ (Recreation Permit Info, Group Activities). No specifics, though.

Doug

Last edited:
TheChez said:
Generally the boys have done a walk through Portland (sidewalks, yech!) for their 20 miler.
Oh, that hurts just thinking about it; whatever merit badge that requirement is for, it should have to be not on a car-navigable road.

Nobody's mentioned the Mahoosucs here; starting at the Success Trail and ending at the Notch Trail might do it (not sure of mileage), though I would classify that as rather strenuous.

I would highly recommend the book Exploring the Appalachian Trail: Northern New England by Kodas et al. It talks about the various sections of the AT in NH and Maine. There are lots of options there e.g. Mt Wolf & the Kinsmans, stuff like that.

Or the ridge over the Baldfaces / Eagle Crag / Meader / Royces.

Or a section of the Cohos Trail.

Or along Quietman's suggestion, the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway.

The presidential range trail from Gorham to Whitefield would fit the bill. Its very flat as its an abandoned RR right of way. There are some sections that go through nice areas plus there is good road access in case of problems. The trail skirts the Northern Presidentials so the views are good.
There is an unofficial section that runs from Berlin to Gorham along the east side of the Androscoggin River that is real nice but the access is a bit confusing.

I would not do this trip on a hot day as there isnt a lot of tree cover. Plenty of stream crossings and potential places to swim might balance that out.

DougPaul said:
Was talking to a friend who leads outdoor trips for a school--he was required to get a permit for the WMNF--there was also a fee required. Don't know if this applies to the Boy Scouts.

The limit of 10 still applied to his trips and most likely applies here too.

A hint can be found at http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/ (Recreation Permit Info, Group Activities). No specifics, though.

Doug

A tour permit is needed. Should you have a large group, you'll probably break up and each adult leading should have a guide's permit. As DougPaul mentioned the ten people per group applies here as well.

Thanks everyone for lots of suggestions. I'll do up some maps and profiles from Delorme's Topo program and put it to the guys.

The group size would likely be under ten, but we're familiar with having to do the tour permits. I'm quite interested in knowing more about the Guide Permit as our troop is growing and it's getting tough to keep some of our trips limited in size.

Most of the crew is fairly seasoned and did a strenuous 2 week trek in New Mexico at the Philmont Scout Ranch in July, so there really isn't any trip suggested so far that's beyond their ability. Most of our trips are overnighters and the boys tend to gear up pretty heavy for that (be prepared!). Daypacking 20miles should be a cinch for them.

A few of them did Osseo-Franconia-Garfield Ridge to Galehead and out Lincoln Woods last year on a 2 night trek, so the Bond trip might be a nice way to finish up business for them (they skipped the Bonds and came out a day early because of a fatigued guest on the trip). A couple of our crew like the idea of getting Owls Head out of the way early in their peak bagging career.

I'm cataloguing these suggestions too, as other troops in the area are trying to get out more and need the 20 miler for one of the merit badges. Some of the flatter trails (like the Presidential Range trail) might be good for less seasoned crews.

TheChez said:
The group size would likely be under ten, but we're familiar with having to do the tour permits. I'm quite interested in knowing more about the Guide Permit as our troop is growing and it's getting tough to keep some of our trips limited in size.

Most of the crew is fairly seasoned and did a strenuous 2 week trek in New Mexico at the Philmont Scout Ranch in July, so there really isn't any trip suggested so far that's beyond their ability. Most of our trips are overnighters and the boys tend to gear up pretty heavy for that (be prepared!). Daypacking 20miles should be a cinch for them.

TheChez- Here's a website from the Forest Service on guide permits: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/passes
While preparing for Philmont two summers ago we did hikes around the Pemi and the wilderness proper. We may both have much in common with the ranch.
As I may recall the guide permits were good for a year and you had to fill out paperwork (I may be wrong) and explain what your plans are. This documents were probably good for a year.