21 out of 31 who reached the observatory over the weekend needed assistance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my first few climbs I had no idea what I was in for but I was overprepared. If I were doing Washington as a first climb knowing there was a building and two possible ways to get a ride down I might have pushed on with the Scouts in tow. I also would have half as many adults as Scouts.

They simply did not know what they were in for and thought they had an exit plan, they did and it worked.

I'm not trying to justify the bad decissions they made nor the risks they took with young people. I'm sure they will never forget this day and may remember it as an adventure.

When we talk about this among ourselves we are singing to the choir.

I had an interesting conversation with 2 highschool friends a number of years ago. One of them and I had been up Mt Washington, the third hadn't and was interested. "Is that a hike I really need to prepare for ?" he asked. Simultaneously we both answered emphatically: Me with a "YES !", the other friend with a "NO !". The no-prep required friend was a strong, healthy guy who had done the conga line up Washington a couple times with his daughter and son on blue bird summer days and had no problems either time. I had been up in winter conditions once after a failed attempt after a snow storm. So my friend was 2 for 2 with no prep and I was 1 for 2 with all the gear and exercise. Tough to tell him he was dead wrong at that point.

Interesting to know that the individuals who got a ride down were left with 5 miles to hike and were charged for the ride. That is acceptable, and seems adequate to help them learn the reality of the mountain, while ensuring they are safely off of the summit.

I'm sorry for my part in a misunderstanding here, as they did not have to hike all of 5 miles down, they had to hike 1 mile, from the 6 mile post to just below the 5 mile post. In Auto Road parlance, that gravel stretch is called " the 5 mile". Right now it is bearing the dubious nick-name " quagmire".

Breeze