3-4 day alternatives to Pemi Loop for early August (LWT Closure)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiffae

Reaction score
Hi All -

I got some great trip planning advice from VFTT members on my first ever post here advising me to do a Pemi loop with some new-backpacker friends rather than attempt a non-hut Presi traverse. We're all set to go so of course Murphy and his law weigh in, and the Lincoln Woods trail seems like it may be closed. I'm hoping for some alternative options to consider.

We're planning on going Thursday-Sunday August 8-11th. If that falls before the LWT closure, then we'll be on the half Pemi, coming out via 13 falls. Our plan was to camp at Hancock, take off early morning, camp at Liberty Springs, follow the ridge to Garfield ridge tentsite, then a short day to 13 falls (need to get to our campsite early Sat to beat the crowds) then out via Franconia/LWT.

If the closure happens before the 11th, then we'll have to plan another trip. We're really hoping to backpack rather than day hike, but we could do 3 rather than 4 days. We've never been to the whites before and we're really excited.

The group is 4 people, two experienced with backpacking and two relatively new to it, but in good shape.

Any suggestions? I've been researching the Pemi so much that I'm feeling kind of heartbroken but am determined to make the most of our first visit to the whites!

Thanks.

Well a slow night shift is allowing me some time to do some research!

I mapped out this route based on recommendations from VFTT, the maps, and what looks good to me from reading the topos.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=3139

any thoughts? My concern would be snagging a tent platform at Osgood on Saturday afternoon. If Osgood were full, what would our options be? I know the first day is very short but it might be nice for first-time backpackers to try out their gear, set up camp, and then do some day hikes around Tuckerman Ravine.

For reference, this was the old plan.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=7L4M

The woods are fairly open in the lower Great Gulf, I wouldnt worry about not finding a spot to set up a couple of tents after going the requisite distance off the trail.

The woods are fairly open in the lower Great Gulf, I wouldnt worry about not finding a spot to set up a couple of tents after going the requisite distance off the trail.

Thanks for that info - I've had terrible experiences backpacking in the Adirondacks looking for dispersed camping and just passing mile after mile of dense undergrowth and swamp.

How would you rate the north Presis vs. the west Pemi loop?

A couple suggestions for loops, although not in NH but not too far is Grafton Loop Trail in ME. It's 39 miles with minimal use away from the AT section with plenty of views and numerous campsites with little or no traffic. A second option in NH for a loop is Carter-Moriah- Wild River area. I did this hike starting with the Baldfaces to make a 42 mile loop. You can start Wild River Campsite area head up to Moriah and see beautiful Shelburne Moriah on the way and see few people. From Moriah follow Carter Range to Carter Notch, then descend to Wild River area. You can head straight out Wild River or climb up to Eagle Crag/Mt Meader Area then descend to start.

That would have been my first choice. Good for you that your plans have changed. One comment: On day three, don't follow the Randolph Path back to Edmands col. Instead, take the Israel Ridge trail to the summit of Mt. Adams. You'll be impressed by the effort it took to build that section of trail. If Osgood tentsite is full, continue on the AT to the river and camp down the trail to the left or cross the river and camp at Clam Rock further up the Great Gulf trail.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the Lincoln Woods trail closure is for work between the highway and the Osseo trailhead. If access to the Osseo trailhead from the north is still allowed (check with the FS to confirm), then you can still do the loop--just use one of the access points from the west or north.

Doug

That would have been my first choice. Good for you that your plans have changed. One comment: On day three, don't follow the Randolph Path back to Edmands col. Instead, take the Israel Ridge trail to the summit of Mt. Adams. You'll be impressed by the effort it took to build that section of trail. If Osgood tentsite is full, continue on the AT to the river and camp down the trail to the left or cross the river and camp at Clam Rock further up the Great Gulf trail.

Cool! Have actually been getting excited about this new route, which beats the depression about the closure of the LWT!

Interestingly I see the Israel ridge path on the AMC map, but not on the US Topo, but it IS on the USFS Topos that CalTopo has - is it a new trail? After doing some reading on the RMC shelters, I thought we might actually push beyond The Perch to Crag Camp but that is TBD. I think I traced what you mean on the map, let me know if I've got it right.

Doug, what do you mean by use a different entrance?

Thanks for the great advice guys.

I found some info that shows the Israel Ridge trail was built in 1892. Your updated map looks good. I see you'll be going over Boott Spur, there's a good view from there.

I don't know if Crag Camp fills up before the Perch. I'd camp at the first available spot, especially in summer.

However, I'd bypass the Osgood site and camp at Clam Rock, which is slightly upriver from the suspension bridge where the AT crosses the river.

Also, be sure to read the AMC website regarding camping at Hermit Lake.

Last edited:
If you have 2 cars you could modify you Pemi Trip. Head up Liberty Springs Tr, north on Franconia Ridge/Garfield Ridge then exit via Twinway and Zealand Tr. Then you could visit South Twin, Guyot, and Zeacliff. All destinations worthy of a visit.

Doug, what do you mean by use a different entrance
Any other trail that leads from a road to a point on the loop. ie:
* Liberty Spring Tr
* Falling Waters Tr
* Old Bridle Path
* Greenleaf Tr
* Skookumchuck Tr
* Garfileld Tr
* Gale River Tr
* N Twin Tr + N Twin Spur
* Zealand Tr + Twinway

Doug

I found some info that shows the Israel Ridge trail was built in 1892. Your updated map looks good. I see you'll be going over Boott Spur, there's a good view from there.

I don't know if Crag Camp fills up before the Perch. I'd camp at the first available spot, especially in summer.

However, I'd bypass the Osgood site and camp at Clam Rock, which is slightly upriver from the suspension bridge where the AT crosses the river.

Also, be sure to read the AMC website regarding camping at Hermit Lake.

Thanks for being so helpful jfb!

I guess we'll keep our options open for camping - hopefully an early start Friday will get us to the RMC sites before everything fills up.

Seeing as the Osgood/Clam Rock camping will be Saturday night, I'm inclined to camp at the first open site we find, but maybe we'll put down our gear and send out scouting parties. How many people do the bluffs/clam rock accomodate?

Thanks also to everyone else, sounds like we still could have a nice time on the Pemi loop, but I'm actually feeling better about the low mileage of the northern presis for our more inexperienced hikers.

Ill tell you what a great backpacking trip is " The Mahoosic Range, I did it 2 nights, but 3 is standard I believe.