3 Moose at 30 Feet for 30 minutes: Cannon and Lonesome Lake 9/11/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
moose%2520family%2520close.JPG

Sometimes the best hikes are the ones you expect to be routine. I guess it goes to show, if you look a little closer at the routine you find greatness sometimes.

Last week, I was able to get in a rare mid-week late afternoon hike, so I chose what was supposed to be a routine jaunt up Cannon, a peak I’ve climbed many times before. The events of that day eleven years ago were on my mind as I set off up the Hi Cannon Trail. Though the footbed was horribly eroded, I couldn’t help but feel lucky to be out mid-week, with my health strong and family spared from life’s tragedies.

I laughed a bit when I got to the much ballyhooed “ladder.” It was only 15-20 feet high and only at an angle of 50 degrees. It shaded towards being a staircase in my opinion. Above the ladder, there are several cliff-top viewpoints just off trail that you should be careful on when wet, and avoid when icy.

franconia%2520ridge%2520unobstructed.JPG

Crisp views of Franconia Ridge

After 20 minutes atop my 165th 4k chatting with tourists, a few of which were concerned with how I was going to get down “so late” (4 pm), I quickly descended the bouldery steep section of the Kinsman Ridge Trail, then down to Lonesome Lake. I paused and debated if it would be worth it to go around the lake since I had told my wife I’d be home to cook dinner.

Trusting in my wife’s patience with my adventuring, I took a few steps towards the hut and spotted a huge brown figure in the water. No two. Wait, there’s three moose out there! Yes, I was going around the lake. No honey, I won’t be home for dinner.

They were too far away for close ups, I only had my stock lens on my DSLR which way less zoom than cheap point and shoots, but I got some nicely moose framed shots of Cannon, Liberty, and Franconia Ridge.

lafayette%2520and%25203%2520moose%2520close.JPG

When I got to the muddy viewpoint at the turnoff to head down, I watched the cow and two yearling moose eat for 10 minutes. Suddenly the peace was disturbed by a huge bull moose with the biggest rack I’ve ever seen. He came charging into the lake and the three fled to shore.

bull%2520moose%2520chase.JPG

Bull moose enters

I went back up the trail to find where they had been scared off to. Two tenths of a mile later, I was shocked to see three moose heads looking at me, just thirty feet away. I found a place to watch. They were completely at ease with my presence and the couple of thru hikers who had raced down spotting the action from the hut.

moose%2520close%2520side%2520profile.JPG

moose%2520eating.JPG

I took so many pictures I had to force myself to put down the camera and just enjoy being in the presence of such magnificent animals for a few minutes.
Thirty minutes later, the two yearlings began to mate (didn’t know that was possible, really hope they weren’t siblings, have a picture but won’t post for fear of being arrested for publishing indecent ungulate images). That’s when the three finally showed some displeasure at my presence. I backed away and gratefully bounded down the trail in waning daylight.

franconia%2520ridge%25209%252011%2520alpenglow.JPG

When I got to the parking lot I looked up and saw alpenglow over Franconia Ridge framed by flags at half mast, reminding me once again what today was. Reminding me to be even more grateful for what I got to experience and all the blessings I have.
Reminding me of the middle age couple I chatted with on the summit of Cannon just hours before. They had brought their grown up son with down’s syndrome with them. They were attentive to him in the cold wind and engaging him in their surroundings. Such a routine thing, looking after your son, yet in such an extraordinary setting. It made me think of all the minutes of all the days and years they had to look after his needs. And they were still lovingly caring for him, putting in the extra effort, visiting from Florida, to make him smile.

Reminding me that sometimes in the routine you find greatness.

**After nine years of hiking, collecting stories and photographs, I finally have decided to give the blog thing a go. You can find this piece with some extra pictures and weekly Wednesday posts at http://beyondpeakbagging.blogspot.com

John, what an incredible experience and very nice write up.

Good luck with the blog - looks great, and like the idea of writing about the adventures later on.

Nice pics, John.

The moose seem to look healthier than those I've seen in recent years. Were their coats really as nice as they appear in the photos? Doubt the ticks have gone away but these moose don't seem to have the scabs and scrapes I'd been seeing.

Fantastic. That's totally amazing and what a wonderful surprise to see the moose family. I'm hoping your wife wasn't too upset, especially once she got to see the photos. Checking out your blog in a few!

Thanks everyone. It was a great experience, the only other time moose on trail haven't run on me was at Sandy Pond in Baxter SP. Maybe they feel safe in the water? I've got a bunch of good roadside moose photos before, but thats just not the same thing to me.

Stan: The moose seem to look healthier than those I've seen in recent years. Were their coats really as nice as they appear in the photos? Doubt the ticks have gone away but these moose don't seem to have the scabs and scrapes I'd been seeing. .

Yes, they were. I noticed how nice the coats looked myself, as I had seen a few moose on RT. 16 heading out of rangeley, me this summer that had messed up coats. From some angle, the cow moose's ribs were evident, don't know if that means she's too skinny though.

DMOutdoors: Good luck with the blog - looks great, and like the idea of writing about the adventures later on.

Thanks. I've been meaning to say yours is great. I've been reading since the winter Tuckerman's ascent you made, which scared the crap out of me, but was amazing! Writing mine the way I intend will allow for time and perspective to hopefully add something to the posts, as well giving me flexibility on what to write about.

Summerset: I'm hoping your wife wasn't too upset, especially once she got to see the photos.

Haha! No way was she upset. In fact, the first thing she said was that she would have hit me if I left the scene. And the photos did make her jealous. Saw on your blog that you finished the second round of the 48, congrats!

Last edited:
John - LOL - Good for your wife! Yes, since you finished your second round, I figured I'd better get my act together and get mine done, too. :D Thanks for the inspiration and congrats!

Hi John, I'm Chris. I'm new to VFFT, but not to the outdoors or to outdoor blogs, books, etc., and this is the neatest moose encounter story I've heard. Thanks so much for sharing it and your pics. I looped Lincoln and Lafayette two days before your hike and was blessed to see alpenglow on the crowing cliffs off Lafayette, and Lafayette only, while heading home on the highway between Franconia and Sugar Hill. Was a lovely bow wrapping up a fine present of a day, the prettiest hike I've yet enjoyed. Your alpenglow pic is a warm reminder of that for me, and I took and posted a couple myself.

Speaking of which, I will probably follow you by not that far in starting my own blog. I have a page at Blogger, but so far have been posting my pics at my Facebook page and on Panoramio, and just started using Picasa. Still figuring it all out. I'll look at your blog, along with very nice ones like DMOutdoors, Mark Truman and Trish Herr, in learning more about the process. But I ramble. ...

Thanks for your lovely pics and story! :)