3 Short Fire Tower Hikes in Southern NH - 9/10/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We used Saturday as a travel day to NH for Flags on the 48. Along the way, we stopped at 3 Fire Towers in Southern NH.

First was Pitcher Hill. It's near Stoddard. The trail head is here. This is a very short walk (10 - 15 minutes) up a nice trail that would have had tons of blueberries a few weeks ago! :( The tower is covered with communication devices but it does not say you can't walk up, so we did. You can't get inside (at least not that day), but you get a spectacular view of the surrounding area! At about 2100', you can see a few of the Whites, Monadnock, and a little bit of the Green mountains. There is a (locked) observer's cabin just below the summit, just off the access road. There was a also a geo-cache, but it was pretty wet inside! :( We took the road back down, which passes beside a nice open field, adding to the views.

The next stop heading East was Pack Monadnock. There is a 1.4 mile trail, but we were short on time, so we drove up! :eek: I know, pretty lame! At the top, there is a nice tower, and a special look out for Boston! :rolleyes: We spent most of our time looking in other directions! :p Again, there are great views here, and several trails that lead off in various directions. You can climb the very steep steps up the tower, but the cab was not open.

We then drove off to Federal Hill. There is no real parking here, but you can squeeze off the side of the road, in a rural/residential neighborhood. There were 2 kids at the start of the road, and they told us it was a short walk. They then took off running up the trail! We lost sight of them, and came to a trail that split off the road. We guessed correctly that this was the trail to the top. Then we guessed again that the trail to the summit split off to the right, as the left fork did not seem to be gaining elevation. In a few minutes, we came to a large mowed clearing, with a flag pole, outhouse, cabin, and tower. The kids were at the base of the tower and warned us that there was a LARGE wasp nest on the tower! :eek: One of the boys had just been stung, and he headed back to his house, stating that he felt fine. Laurie is allergic to bee stings, and did NOT have her epi-pen with her, so I was glad that we had been warned of the danger, albeit by a boy being stung. I climbed slowly up the first few flights of the tower, but a wasp started to harass me, so I made a quick retreat! :eek:

Our next stop was a visit to Milly's in Manchester. I must say their beer is excellent! We tried the IPA, APA, Porter, and Stout and enjoyed them all! After all that good beer, we drove to Paradox's house. Upon arriving, he told us that he had Yuengling in the frig. I replied "That's too bad!" :eek: :D

I'll post some pics in a day or two...

Pics:

Pitcher Tower

p1.jpg

Pitcher View to the North

p2.jpg

Pack Tower

pm1.jpg

Monadnock from Pack

pm2.jpg

Federal Tower

f1.jpg