# 40 - Hike to Mount Whiteface 10/13/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the goals of our fall vacation was to add several 4000 footers to our list of the NH 48.
We drove 45 minutes from Bristol to the trailhead for Mount Whiteface along Ferncroft Road.
This area is so different from most trailheads in that it has a real “country” feel.

The lot was filling up quickly when we arrived at 8 am.

It was a cool, crisp 27 degrees as we began the hike and it seemed that we were in store for an incredible day.

After reaching the ledges, we came upon our first view.

It was a steady climb gaining elevation quickly when we reached the intersection with the Tom Wiggins Trail where we took our first break of the day.

Onward we went scrambling up the ledges where we met a father and son team who took our photo.

Before we reached the actual summit there is an area with outstanding views towards Mount Washington; which was displaying it’s first snow covered summit of the season.

Heading along the Rollins Trail we ran into Bob and Geri and Dusty. It was nice to finally meet you both as we have followed their hikes and enjoyed their photos for many years. Bob took are summit photo.

There was a slight dusting of snow along the Rollins Trail.

It feels so good to see a sign that “welcomes hikers” on private land.

A beautiful country scene with Mount Whiteface in the background.

We made good time heading down the Dicey’s Mill Trail finishing up before dinner time allowing us a stop at the Sandwich Creamery which we had heard about from the forum. A unique shop.

This day was a sign of good things to come. #40 was in the bag.

Here’s the slideshow to the rest of the photos: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/26096638_4rCcSG#!i=2167924161&k=WghqpK4

Donna and Mike

Nice read and pics. Only 8 to go. Good luck to both of you. I have got to stop by that creamery on my next visit to Whiteface!