vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckrueger

Reaction score
My hiking buddy Doug and his 14 yr son Gavin finally finished on Colden on 10/12/08. Our final quest started on Friday 10/10 with me catching up with them by doing Basin. Doug volunteered to make the trip with me and his son was coming up later to do Colden with us. It was a perfect day/weekend. I had put out the question about going over Saddleback on the way to Basin last week. After reading the responses we decided to give it a shot. It turned out to be pretty straight forward and a lot of fun. We left the Garden at 7 AM and were on Basin by 11 AM +/-. We went back via Shorey Cut.

On Sunday we headed out for Colden at 7:30 AM and went up via Lake Arnold. Other than a little wet and sloppy in places it was a great trip up and we arrived at 11:38 AM. We toasted a little champagne and enjoyed the fantastic day for a hour or so. The feeling of completing the 46 is hard to put into words. We headed down the backside to come back through Avalanche Pass. In all our previous hikes we had never been in this area. It was well worth the trip down that way!! The views were fantastic.

Thanks to everyone who post on the board. I don't post often, but read everyones reports and have used this info in my hikes.

First of all CONGRATS!! Also know about finally finishing the 46, but that always begs the question of "What next!"

So Chuck - how did the info that was provided on the Q&A do compared to your actual hike?? I'm hoping my post about there not being any cliffs to fall off helped make your decision easy!! :D I call Basin the "I Love NY" peak... great stuff.

Bubba - Your post certainly helped. Found the ususal "grippy" rock and as long as you kept your feet flat you could walk down 90%. We had daypacks and the wind was blowing pretty hard through the Col, but all that just made it a little more fun.

Next summer we are going to go up Colden via the Trap Dike, so I'll be throwing that out for some input.:D

Bubba - Your post certainly helped. Found the ususal "grippy" rock and as long as you kept your feet flat you could walk down 90%. We had daypacks and the wind was blowing pretty hard through the Col, but all that just made it a little more fun.

Next summer we are going to go up Colden via the Trap Dike, so I'll be throwing that out for some input.:D

Count me in :D