"48" Movie review

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
I promised Sherpa John that I'd post a review, so here it is:

Together with a few friends, I had an outdoor-themed film festival at my home Saturday night. After watching “Without a Paddle”, we settled back into our recliners to view the surprise main feature of the evening, John Lacroix’s new documentary called “48”. I was honored to have received the first DVD copy of the movie that Sherpa John sent out to the public (at least that’s what John told me!).

The DVD arrived just the day before, very professionally packaged, just like a movie from the store. Nice. As soon as I got home from work Friday, I watched the first few seconds; just to be sure that everything was working properly. Such an....ticipation! Now at last, I could watch “48” for the first time, along with my wife and friends. At the same time, in Derry, New Hampshire, the Premiere of “48” was taking place. Very cool.

My wife, and her friends who were in attendance, had not yet experienced the thrill of hiking to the summit of a 4K peak. The photos and stories that I’ve shared with them of my own climbs, while completing New York’s Adirondack 46, are only one man’s point of view. Now, I hoped that these ladies would see that I’m not the only crazy one up there doing this. They were about to see what it’s like to hike in the Whites.

When the phrase describing peak-bagging as “almost an obsession” was spoken, I laughed out loud. What do you mean, “almost”! I enjoyed the background information on John and Sarah, as well as the interview with John’s father, Bill; who is not too much older than I am. The history of the AMC, the origins of hiking the White Mountain 48, and the other interviews were all well done.

I very much agreed with and enjoyed some of the terms describing the reasons and feelings associated with climbing a list of 4000 footers. Things like doing it for spiritual reasons, to seek solitude, and to enjoy the trees, clouds and rivers. I have also wanted to just “get away from it all”, and have wondered many times (particularly on solo climbs), “what the Hell am I doing here”!

Comments like “very inspirational”, and “well-paced” were made afterward. I wish Sarah well on her quest for the remaining peaks, if she hasn’t already finished. I admire her for overcoming her personal obstacles while continuing to climb. I hope this film does inspire the ladies in our group, as we will soon begin our own quest to climb New York’s firetower peaks. And who knows, I might get them to do a few NY 4K peaks as well. That’s my review. Congratulations John and Team Sherpa on a mighty fine climbing documentary. It’s time for me to go now, and make some PB& J sandwiches... and, oh yeah: “I have to pee”...
-ALGonquin Bob

Last edited:
Sweeping images

I wanted to add to the review how stunning the images were up on the big screen, the footage was excellent and it was well woven together with a great story. We enjoyed coming to the premiere, great job to Team Sherpa and John for your work on the film and to the great cause against diabetes.

The part where you proposed to Sarah on the summit of Madison brought back memories of my own proposal on the Zeacliffs among the mountains we love so much. I wish I could've gotten together with everyone after the show.

4-thumbs up from our group!!

Jim L

Last edited:
Sherpa John & Team:

Excellent job, both of making the movie and of presenting it. You presented the various motivations for climbing the mountains clear and understandable, and there was a good balance between the human and the view scenes.

Got there at the last minute and had to leave right away, but not before visiting the donation table and the DVD table!

Congratulations! You've made even a non bag list guy like me give it serious consideration. And thanks for making the film. I'm looking forward to showing it to my kids.

Thanks.

I did make it to the premier and I have to tell you that I was pleasantly surprised at the film. I expected it to be more of "one man's quest".....in actuality this is a true documentary detailing the history of the 38, or 46...or 48...or 100, and I found it to be very interesting.

I did purchase a copy too, but not for myself. I want my wife to see it so she can understand the disease we all have, and this film did an excellent job about the mind set of hikers in general and why we do what we do.

So we all got a little history lesson and a psychological check-up....

Panama Jack, great opening speech I'm just sorry that I didn't get a chance to say "Hi". :(

Sarah and John, I wish you all the best (everyone watch for more from these 2.....)

and I almost forgot....Siskel and Ebert give it 2 big thimbs up too.

Now go get a copy, enjoy the film and support the Diabetes Foundation. :D

SHOWING DATES!!!!
All showing dates are FREE FREE FREE (donations excepted)
All showings are open the the public

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8pm
UNH Durham - Memorial Union Building Theatre

Saturday, February 19, 2005 8pm
AMC's Highland Center - Washburn Room

Sunday, February 20, 2005 3pm
EMS Concord - Ft. Eddy Rd.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005
Bryant University R.I.

Saturday, March 5, 2005 8pm
AMC's Pinkham Notch Visitor Center

Saturday, March 19, 2005 8a-4p
Boston Seaport World Trade Center - Diabetes Expo

In the works: EMS Salem, NH; Bryant University in R.I.; Brown University in R.I; DARTMOUTH???

And of course to help us in our cause. You can purchase the DVD AND/OR Donate at:
www.48movie.com

Also.. those of you who all ready have ordered online, I shipped out the 60 or so orders I had up to 9pm tonight 1/31/05. If you have ordered after this time, your order will be shipped next week.

THANKS GUYS!
Sherpa John

Last edited:
kltilton said:
Sherpa John,

I'll see you in Durham on the 16th! I'll tell everyone I know.

YA HOOO!

Thanks alot KL! We appreciate it. make sure you tell all of your VFTT friends as well!

Sherpa John :eek:

Hey folks,

those of you who get WMUR news 9 at home, keep a look out for a 2 part NH Chronicle series near the beginning of March.

Part 1 will discuss the Four Thousand Footer Club and some of its history

Part 2 will discuss my documentary film.

Sweet

Sherpa John :eek:

younger generations

I didn't make it to the premiere and figured I probably can't make it to the other showings either so I ordered the DVD which arrived yesterday. I watched it last night with my three year old son (who, I might add, has already overnighted at Mizpah Hut twice, been to the summits of Moosilauke, Tecumseh, Cannon and many, many other smaller peaks and destinations; we've been taking him hiking and camping since he was a few months old). There was a lot of "you've been there, you've done that" as we watched it, such as the "board walk" around Lonesome Lake. To quote Sherpa John, "It is so important for us to pass the mountains on to younger generations to preserve the beauty." Amen!

I REALLY connected with and enjoyed the film; :) I agree with all of the other comments posted here. I already knew this but the documentary emphasized it - it's remarkable how much we (in this community) are all alike! I'm looking forward to watching the "NH Chronicle" series in March, great job Sherpa John, I'll help spread the word!