6 Day Trip up the Bog River into Low's Lake and back (6/6 - 6/11/10)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
Pictures Here

Sunday afternoon was pretty wet, dark, and dreary when my friend Anna and I pulled into the parking area at the lower dam on the Bog River to begin our 6 day trip up into Low's Lake to explore the area. There were only 2 other cars in the parking lot, as most of the weekend crowd's had fled early Sunday morning due to the weekend conditions. Earlier in the day, we had driven past many of the trailheads for the High Peaks, and saw hordes of hikers returning to their cars from the woods as early as possible in the downpour.

Fortunately for us, however, the rain let up just as arrived at the put in. For a variety of reasons our destination for our lengthy trip had been chosen for us, and it would turn out to be a lucky turn of events that led us to visit this beautiful area.

Even though the rain had ceased, the clouds were still thick and dark as we loaded up the canoe and launched above the dam. The first section of the Bog River above the lower dam is a new favorite paddling spot of mine. It was fun trying to pear through the fog as we paddled up through the narrow notch past the boulders in the river, trying to see what the river would have in store for us next.

At the second campsite on the river, there was a group of two guys camped. They seemed pretty friendly, and offered us vodka. We politely declined, as we wanted to get a little bit further up the river before camping for the night.

Just past the campsite, we were greeted with the first wildlife sighting for the week. A bald eagle was perched atop a white pine on the north shore of the river. As we paddled by, it spread its wings, and then took flight, heading north over Hitchin's Bog and into the woods. I've never seen a bald eagle in the wild before, so I was pretty excited by it.

We soon reached Hitchin's Pond and began to look for a spot to camp. We selected campsite 6, a nice little spot right on the water just downstream of the dam. We set up camp in the approaching darkness, made dinner, and prepared to turn in for bed in the tent. Just as we were climbing inside, Anna remarked that the stars were out. And certainly they were- in the darkness, the sky had cleared entirely.

The morning dawned bright and sunny. After breaking down camp, it was a quick paddle to the upper dam and the remains of Low's estate. Just after launching the canoe, another (or the same perhaps?) bald eagle swooped down low over the surface of the water, carrying a fish in its talons.

The carry at the upper dam is pretty easy, only a few hundred feet in length. The takeout below the dam on the north side of the river and the take out above the dam on the south side of the river were both very obvious. It looks like some people paddle a little ways up the channel to the base of the dam before taking out, but the shoreline here is pretty impacted and eroded as a result; it's much better to take out at the old docks well below the dam where the grades out of the water are gentler.

The dam itself is quite impressive, but even more interesting were the ruins. Below the dam is the foundation and fireplace for Low's estate, and judging by the size, it was a pretty nice place to live. All that remains now is the fireplace, a stone wall, and a stone platform that looks like it was an upstairs patio with a stone staircase built into the side of the hill. Nearby is a DEC register/kiosk with some pictures of what the area used to look like back in Low's day.

After carrying the canoe and our gear above the dam, we launched and continued upstream. The river immediately above the dam is still quite narrow. We passed multiple campsites and some sandy outcrops. Before long, we reached the first floating bog mat. This mat is wedged in the channel, but it is possible to find passage along the north shore. There is a sandy gap here which might be navigable during high water, but we were forced to get out and walk for about 10 or 20 feet. We also saw a large snapping turtle sunning itself on a log near the floating mat.

Above the mat, the river gradually widens. Unfortunately, the flow is perfectly aligned with the prevailing winds, and those winds were against us. As the channel got wider and wider, those winds got stronger and stronger. We paddled up past the gap in the esker on the south side. The channel hear splits, and you have an option of continuing along the north shore, or paddling through the gap in the esker and continuing along the southern channel. Both will take you to Low's Lake proper, and we decided to paddle upstream through the north channel and paddle the south side of the esker on the return trip. Before long were struggling upwind past the beach for the scout camp on the north shore, and soon broke out into Low's Lake proper. The winds here were intense, and we saw whitecaps out on the main lake. We stuck to the north shore, and were able to slip around to the north of a chain of small islands that helped to break the wind.

It was already late afternoon by the time we reached campsite 20, and we decided to make it our home for the second night. This was a nice site surrounded by a fern glade with a pretty beach along the shore. The site itself was pretty impacted, but not an un-enjoyable place to spend the night. The clouds that evening presented us with a spectacular display of blues, reds, yellows, and oranges as the sun set behind us.

Tuesday morning had us up and continuing our journey west along the north shore. We paddled up into a couple of bays to explore for a bit. There are 2 short carries linking 3 of these bays; these carries allow parties heading west to stay out of the prevailing winds working against them for the most part. Those trying to reach the carry to Big Deer Pond and the Oswegatchie River would be well advised to make use of these carries. We, however, had ample time and wished to explore the full shoreline, and so we continued to work our way upwind on the main lake.

After lunch, we made our way past the last of the campsites on the main north shore of Low's Lake, and headed north into Grass Pond. At the head of the main channel into Grass Pond is the private inholding on Low's Lake, a small rustic cabin right on the shore. Once into Grass Pond, the wind died down significantly. We crossed the pond to the north shore to check out the campsites, and selected campsite 33 as our destination for the evening. It is located in a little rocky bay on the northwest shore of the pond, right next to a bubbling little brook that cascades down into the lake.

Campsite 33 turned out to be located in an interesting area. An old logging road runs right past the backside of the site, and I found an old pen collapsed in the woods. My best guess is that someone constructed the pen years ago to house hunting dogs during the open season in the fall. The campsite looked like it hadn't received much recent use.

Across Grass Pond from the campsite, we had a nice view of the cliffs on the western edge of Grass Pond Mountain. Where we were situated the sun set early, but it's light was still visible on the cliffs and the mountain well into the evening.

Just as darkness was falling and we got the fire going, we started to hear a loud splashing in the stream. We grabbed our headlamps, and walked over to check it out. Just before the last cascade into the lake, the stream flows through a very deep pool. In that pool was a large beaver, swimming around and occasionally coming up for air. It was pretty interesting to watch, and I've never seen a beaver that close before. We continued to observe him for a few minutes, and then returned to the fire to let him continue with whatever he had planned for the evening.

Wednesday morning dawned sunny, but as we packed up camp, the clouds started to roll in. We launched the canoe and continued around the north and east shores of Grass Pond. The carry north to Cranberry Lake was well marked and not hard to find. I had hoped to have enough time to explore this trail, hopefully all the way to Chairrock Flow, but unfortunately time was against us as we wanted to continue down to the south shore of Low's Lake.

After stopping to check out some of other sites on Grass Pond, we paddled back down through the channel and out into the main lake. We continued west along the north shore. The paddling map shows a large island on the west shore of Low's Lake, with passage possible between the island in the mainland. We figured that our best bet would be to take this passage on our way to check out the carry to Big Deer Pond. As we approached the narrow gap, the vegetation kept playing tricks with us, and we couldn't decide if passage would be possible or not... we kept thinking we saw a way through, then decided it was blocked, then thought we saw a way through again... It was only when we had actually paddled up the narrow gap that we were able to determine the situation. The island is actually connected to the shore via a small sandy spit. This spit, however is easily carried over... but what lies beyond is not worth paddling through. Just south of the island was an immense graveyard of submerged stumps and trunks. Trying to find a way through this maze, and pushing our way over the multiple underwater logs that were difficult to see and blocked out way, was time consuming and tiring. In retrospect, it would've been easier (and faster) to stay east of the island.

Continued....

Continued from above:

Eventually, however, we made it to the carry at the west end of the lake. We beached the canoe and got out to explore. There is a campsite at the start of this carry that is not marked on the paddling map, and it looks like it hasn't been used much in recent years. The blowdown from the microburst was still incredibly obvious here, with multiple large trunks thrown down in the woods like toothpicks. In the trail register, a DEC trail crew had signed in to do trail maintenance to "Cowhorn Pond"- perhaps this means that the DEC is maintaining the Big Deer-Cowhorn Pond trail again?

We followed the trail all the way to Big Deer Pond. About half way to the pond, I noticed that the trail started following an old road. Does anyone know the history of this road? I assume it was an old logging road.

At Big Deer Pond there was a group of four camped in the designated site there. They were doing the Low's-Oswegatchie Traverse. I'd love to come back and do this traverse myself... another thing to add to my to do list! This was the first group of people we'd encountered since Sunday afternoon, three days previous.

We returned to the start of the carry and continued along the shoreline. We had now reached the farthest distance west we would travel, and everything form here on out was back towards the car. We stopped to check out Virgin Timber Landing... I didn't see much virgin timber here, but it was a nice spot. A sign here indicated that a permit was needed to camp here during the months of June, July, and August (all three of the "landings" on Low's Lake have similar regulations). This regulation hasn't done much to protect the landing, however, as the impact was pretty obvious.

As we continued east along the south shore, we decided to camp for the night at site 35. The clouds had thickened all day, and a slight drizzle was turning into a steady rain, and we were ready to make camp for the night. When we approached the site, however, we saw and started to smell smoke, and expected to arrive there to find it taken. As we got closer though, we couldn't see any tents or sign of human occupation. We beached the canoe, and walked up to the site. I had figured that someone had just left a fire going in the fire pit, but what we saw was worse- a ground fire, about 10 feet in diameter, was slowly burning through the campsite.

Upon seeing the ground fire, we took the most sensible actions we could- Anna started to warm her hands by the fire, while I collected some coals and put them into the fire pit (which, ironically, had no fire in it) to start our campfire with (I wasn't worried about starting a new ground fire due to all the recent rain). We then spent probably the better part of an hour walking down to the water, filling our water bottles up with water, and returning to dump the water on the ground fire and stir it up with sticks. It took a while, but I think we were able to finally get it out. At the very least, there were no signs of further hot spots the next morning when we awoke and packed up camp. So please, be careful with fire in the Adirondacks, and remember that in many areas, the surface layer of duff is quite flammable.

On Thursday, in the continuing rain, we took a side trip down into Moose Bay before continuing back. Moose Bay is an interesting part of Low's Lake that doesn't seem to get much use. Moose Bay Landing was pretty overgrown and had a significant amount of blowdown on it. There are two campsites down in Moose Bay which also don't seem to get much use. This is probably because getting to them is tricky- one must navigate through another graveyard of submerged stumps and logs (although not as difficult as the one on the western end of the main lake). I found the area around campsite 37 to be especially interesting. The campsite is located in a sandy clearing with lots of blueberry bushes and indian paintbrush around. There is an old logging road that crosses the bay on a causeway (part of the causeway has been dredged out, making passage across the bay on the road impossible) before continuing west. Old maps indicate that this is the same road we encountered the day before on the carry to Big Deer Pond. We followed the road for a little bit, up to where it entered a plantation of red pines. Again, if anyone knows anything about the history of this area, especially who planted the pines and why (I'm guessing CCC and for reforestation) I'd love to hear it.

We returned to the canoes, and headed north back out into the main lake. Just north of Moose Bay is an immense floating bog mat. At first, we thought we were going to have to paddle all the way around the mat, taking us well out into the middle of the lake. As we were starting to paddle along the edge of the mat, however, I noticed a yellow disc on the shore. Thinking that there might be a canoe carry along the shore, we turned around to take a closer look. What we found was even better, a narrow channel between the bog and the shoreline, giving us passage that allowed us to avoid the longer route into the middle of the lake.

As we continued east, we stopped to check out Boones Landing. This was another hugely impacted campsite. In the middle of the site was an immense white pine, one of the largest white pines I've ever seen. I later noticed that this white pine was pretty visible even from across the lake.

Further east of Boone's Landing, we stopped and made camp for our fifth and final evening at campsite 18, the western most of the cluster of sites near the Esker. As we set up camp, the afternoon alternated between sunny skies and downpours, but we were able to get a fire going. This was a nice site that had a great view of the main lake, as well as a nice breeze to keep the bugs at bay.

Continued...

Last edited:
Continued from above:

Friday morning, we spent some time exploring the channels on the south side of the esker before heading back. There are some nice sites back in here, although one of them was trashed... multiple empty cans in the fire pit (and even in the trees), and aluminum foil and rotten vegetables tossed about. Gross. :( As we paddled up and down through the channels between the islands, we met the first group headed in for the weekend, two gentlemen from Rochester setting up camp at site 14.

The final passage south of the Esker before returning to the main channel was a bit dicey, but as long as we kept our eyes open for submerged logs it wasn't too bad. We made our way back east, slipped by floating bog lodged in the channel, and soon reached the upper dam. As we carried to the lower side of the dam, we noticed that the wild strawberries along the dirt road crossing the dam were ripe, and so filled our stomachs. There were two gentlemen fishing below the dam, and they seemed to be a part of a large group camped nearby. We had also passed an occupied campsite, as well as two girls in a canoe, just above the upper dam. Further downstream in Hitchin's Pond, another site was occupied. It was far more people than we had seen all week!

We alternated between floating lazily and paddling steadily as we made our way back to the lower dam. I think we were both ready to return to civilization, but at the same time sad to be leaving such a beautiful area. As we continued down stream, the fish were jumping, and a loon even paddled past us within 5 feet, without diving to escape like they normally do when facing a close encounter with a human.

When we returned to the put in at he lower dam in the afternoon, we encountered a group of 6 college-aged guys getting ready to head out for the weekend. I think that they may have been getting in a little over their heads on this trip... all of their canoes, life jackets, paddles, and dry bags were rented gear. The canoes were nearly overloaded with coolers and bags, and we watched some of them nearly tip as they tried to launch. One guy even asked me if I knew which end of their canoe was the front and which end was the back. They also left quite a bit of rented gear on the shore, including a boat, paddles, and life jackets. I can only hope that the extra gear was for an additional part of their party arriving later, and that they weren't planning on leaving it there all weekend. When I indicated that it had taken us 4 hours time to travel from the site they wished to stay at back to the put in, and that our trip was downstream and with the wind at our backs, they balked in surprise. They're still out there now, hopefully enduring the wetness of this weekend and, I hope, having fun.

After loading up the car, we drove back out to where the Bog River empties into Tupper Lake. Everyone should stop and checkout this roadside attraction when they get the chance; it is rare to see a river cascade over a waterfall right into a lake like the Bog River does. Afterward, we finished out our trip with ice cream in Long Lake, a perfect end to an amazing 6 day trip!

Some notes: This was my first extensive backcountry canoe trip. I've only ever been out for a single night on a canoe before, and single night trips leave a lot of room for error, so this was a learning experience for me. Some things I learned:

Dry bags are your friend. I was able to keep all my gear dry with the two that I had, but I'll definitely be investing in more of these in the future. I also think it might be worthwhile to get transparent ones that let you see where everything is. Also, it's worth it to get more durable dry bags, as they endure a lot of use and abuse.

Ziplock bags are also your friend. The inside of my food bag was pretty moist by the end of the week, especially with all the mist and rain. My food, however, stayed nice and dry in the ziplock bags.

It's probably a good idea to bring an extra paddle, just in case. We had two paddles total, and I kept having visions of one of us snapping a paddle on a submerged log and being forced to paddle all the way back with only a single paddle.

It's not very easy to take well framed and level pictures when you're in a canoe bouncing about on the water.

Even during the height of bug season, they bugs don't bother you once you're in a canoe in the middle of a large lake with a decent breeze. We saw very few black flies. The north shore, with it's hardwood forests, seemed to be inhabited mostly by mosquitoes, while the south shore, which was much more boggy, was the domain the no-see-ums. We were assailed by horeseflies on our way out on the last day between the upper and lower dams.

Concerning the float plane controversy: The jury is still out on this one for me. The lake looks like wilderness, but it doesn't feel like wilderness. Simply the knowledge that there is a road nearby, as well as a scout camp and a private camp, detracts greatly from the feeling of remoteness. The dams as well, with all of their cement and metal (and even flashing lights!), are much different in character than the wooden dams at Marcy Dam or Duck Hole. We also had the entire lake to ourselves, so I'm not sure what it would feel like to be back there, enjoying the serenity when a plane interrupts it to land.

All in all, a very enjoyable trip into a new area for me that I'd never visited before. I'll definitely be back.