6-point crampons - recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Goodearl

Reaction score
I need a pair and would like to know if Grivel's Gripper Crampon, described as "a six-point security crampon that will attach successfully to almost any type of boot. Very lightweight and ideal for early spring walkers and alpine rock climbers" is the most popular / most recommended? There are a number of different versions but they all look the same on-line. Any advice? Thanks!

Can't comment on the Grivel 6 pt., but I'd stay away from the C. Moser Crab 6. Grabbed a pair on-line and they're so narrow they won't fit ordinary width hiking boots! But they do fit my sneaks... :confused: :rolleyes: :( :eek:

Bottom line - as with any cramps, try em on befo buying!

Size 12!

Gris said:
C. Moser Crab 6 're so narrow they won't fit ordinary width hiking boots!

I wear a size 12 so that's a very valuable bit of advice, thanks! Anyone else out there with big feet that's happy with their 6-pointers?

Gris said:
Can't comment on the Grivel 6 pt., but I'd stay away from the C. Moser Crab 6. Grabbed a pair on-line and they're so narrow they won't fit ordinary width hiking boots! But they do fit my sneaks... :confused: :rolleyes: :( :eek:
Bottom line - as with any cramps, try em on befo buying!

I wasn't going to comment, as there are probably better 6 points available, but I have the Crab 6's, EEE width boots, and they fit. (they are adjusted all the way out and are tight, but they fit). These boots are med-weight leather Danners, not double wall plastics, or anything.

Gris
Can't comment on the Grivel 6 pt., but I'd stay away from the C. Moser Crab 6. Grabbed a pair on-line and they're so narrow they won't fit ordinary width hiking boots! But they do fit my sneaks

I agree, I bought the CM crab-6 wearing my boots. They're a tight fit on my 9-1/2's. I do love them though especially this time of year.

Judging by this picture:
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product.asp?pf_id=30073

They appear to be instep crampons. I've had a few different instep crampons over the years and find them worse than useless.

For me, the problem is that they're in the instep. Since the usual walking gait is to land on the heel and rock forward and push off the toes, that means the crampon is not engaged when I'm first putting my foot down or pushing off. Leaves me sliding and falling all the time. One of these years I will give up buying and attempting to use instep crampons.

Posted by Dugan
For me, the problem is that they're in the instep. Since the usual walking gait is to land on the heel and rock forward and push off the toes, that means the crampon is not engaged when I'm first putting my foot down or pushing off. Leaves me sliding and falling all the time. One of these years I will give up buying and attempting to use instep crampons.

Hi, nice picture!

My CM's and Grivel are six pointers and they have aggressive points that do engage fully in the heel to just above the instep. They don't perform well when going up a steep icy slope unless you "crab walk." I used them mostly for going downhill and they work great. :)

Based on Kevin's recommendation, I bought the Astri Alpins. I picked them up at EMS for less than $40. They're not a substitute for 10 points on the steeper sections but they're much more compact and easier to carry in my pack. I wear a size 11 1/2 and they fit me fine. I'll buy another pair when these wear out.

Hey Mark, how do you like my avatar?

Mark I do not know what kind of boots you want to use them on . but Grivel Makes a decent 10 point stap on crampon that is very easy to use I think They go for about $100 give or take $10 or $15 and can be used on a boot such as the Vasque Sundowners or something similar. I have never liked insteps . for reasons similar to Dugans. the just do not feel right to me.

Scarpa Zero Gravity 65 XCR boots

RGF1 said:
I do not know what kind of boots you want to use them on.

My current boot is Scarpa's Zero Gravity 65 XCR, I'm quite happy with them:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0627/Scarpa-ZG-65-GTX-Hiking-Boot-Mens.html

I've already got the Grivel 10pts that I am very pleased with (purchased on Kevin's recommendation - thanks!) but thought they might be overkill for this time of year. I came down Mizpah Spur on Sunday and wished I had something extra for traction. I'm hiking the Hancocks this Saturday and will bring the 10-pointers to err on the side of caution.

Thanks for all the great information!

Glenn, nice avatar, I've seen that picture before... :rolleyes: