8/11/2006 - Panther Peak, Couchsachraga, Santanoni Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elhefe007a

Reaction score
Full trip report at: http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/adk/santanoni/santanoni.html

Couple notes:

Zero bugs, amazing weather. Mud is in great shape on the herd paths, Panther brook is just a drizzle, so rock hopping was easy. However, the trail to Bradley Pond - The upper part of this trail is an absolute mess. A ton of mud, and a million "herd" paths popping up to get around it all.

This range gets a bad wrap - granted, I had great conditions, but the views are fantastic. Santanoni was amazing. The view of the Sewards on the way to Couch was great. From the way the weather is looking, Saturday or Sunday would be great days to be in this range!

These were #22, 23 and 24 on the ADK 46, and #81-83 on the NE115.

Total triptime - 11.5 Hours.

Met one other couple hiking the range. Ran into 3 guys setting up camp below Panther Brook on my way out. Other than that, pretty quiet day!

On to the moron who blazed the Tree's, here is what I saw:

The start of the Herd Path to Times Square are where the problems are. I would estimate about 75-100 blazes that I picked out (including the return). Some sections have 2-3 blazes in a 15-20 foot area...ouch. They are all over on the return trip - apparently these guys thought they would get lost up here...regardless - not a pretty site.

From Times Square to Couch, I noticed much less, maybe 15 total(From what I saw).

Here are some PICTURES of a couple samples. These are about the average look of the blazes, with some being smaller, and most being about the same, or larger.

Last edited:
Agree...

I agree that the Santas get a bad rap. After my first trip up there (completely shredding my pants, arms and face) I doubted I would be returning. Been back three other times. Had one unsuccessful trip to Cooch this past winter in a blizzard, and a successful trip to Cooch this winter as well. I mention all of these visits because part of the glory or success is finding your way. Navigating the maze, trusting your instincts, and trusting your climbing partners. I remeber last July when Bubba, Teejay and I set out for Cooch and the rest. I remeber backtracking in the deep mud. It's all part of the trip, good, bad or indifferent. Now, I see those blazes on the trees, and I think much of the "mystery" (or skill) has been taken out of the climb. Hopefully, the attention that has been brought to this subject of blazing will remind everyone of how fragile our environment is, and how everyone must work together to help preserve it. I certainly commend those that have been "our stewards" in making sure this information is handled by the appropriate authorities. Lance

I can see how in certain weather conditions, that trip to Couch would have been tough - and really, in the winter wow, that had to be one of the toughest winter 46er peaks to get too on the whole.

and a successful trip to Cooch this winter as well.

I would love to see that view of the Sewards about halfway between Panther and Couch in the winter. IMO, that view made the trip all the more worthwile.

Sounds like a terrific hike. Myself and two others also had brilliant weather when we were in that range last August, and I agree that they are a great time. I also agree that the worst part as far as conditions is the actual state trail to Bradley Pond.

As to the blazes, I appreciate your getting the pictures. Neil and another fellow over at ADK Forum did their best to describe the blazes, but you know what they say about pictures vs. words. It is indeed disturbing to see these things w/ ones own eyes and then to imagine dozens of them. Even to someone not well versed in LNT, who perhaps thinks blazing of this sort is okay, it seems that cutting that many is pretty excessive, particularly since that trail needed approximately, oh lets say, none. I mean, putting that many DEC trail discs on a legit state trail would be excessive.

Matt

elhefe007a said:
I would love to see that view of the Sewards about halfway between Panther and Couch in the winter.

A lot of years the winter path is broken right over the top of the ridge instead of dipping down near the little slide where that view is. But, fantastic and different views get opened up as a result.