A Day of Polar Opposites at Nancy/Norcross Ponds (20-Feb-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Trail conditions for the Nancy Pond Trail don't seem to be posted as frequently as the conditions for some of the more popular trails to the high peaks. Therefore, I was uncertain what would be encountered on a trek to Nancy/Norcross Ponds. It was a pleasant surprise to find the trail well broken out and in fine shape all the way from the trailhead to Norcross Pond. Even the steep section of switchbacks above Nancy Cascade was in good shape with excellent traction.

Because of the terrific trail conditions, the trek up to the ponds went smoothly and quickly. Upon arrival at the Nancy Ponds area, there were brilliant blue sky conditions when looking eastward. However, the westward view was the polar opposite with gray, dark clouds!
(Below are two photos showing the sunny eastern side of the pond.)

View of Nancy Pond's Sunny East Side
Eastward_View_Over_Nancy_Pond.JPG

Frosted Trees along Nancy Pond's Sunny Eastern Shoreline
Frosted_Trees_at_Nancy_Pond.JPG

And now for something completely different, below are photos showing the stormy western side of the pond!

Nancy Pond's Stormy Side (Looking Toward Mt Nancy)
Mt_Nancy_from_Nancy_Pond.JPG

Nancy Pond's Stormy Side (Looking Toward Mt Anderson)
Mt_Anderson_from_Nancy_Pond.JPG

By the time I arrived at the east end of Norcross Pond, the clouds were really thickening (as seen in the photo below)!
And, by the time I arrived at the west end of the pond, the cloud cover was so thick that it wasn't even worth pulling out the camera. Yeah, it would have been nice to have seen that magnificent view overlooking the Pemi with the spectacular backdrop of the Bond-Twin Range on the horizon. But, at least there was the consolation of having seen it before and having photographed it on previous trips.

Westward View Over Norcross Pond
Stormy_Sky_Over_Norcross_Pond.JPG

In addition to visiting Nancy and Norcross Ponds, I had hoped to also do a bushwhack to that little body of water named Duck Pond that resides just to the south of the Nancy/Norcross Pond area. However, I'd spent more time hanging out at Nancy/Norcross Ponds than anticipated. My available time was rapidly running out, and viewing conditions were rapidly deteriorating. So, I decided to call it a day and forego the bushwhack (this time around!;)).

Besides taking some snapshots around the ponds, I also took a photo of Nancy Cascade (shown below).
Not much "cascading" going on there!:)

Nancy Cascade
Nancy_Cascade.JPG

I also snapped a photo of the crumbling Lucy Mill structure. Probably many of you have seen those remains on the south side of the trail at a spot about 1.8 miles from the trailhead. According to Steve Smith's book entitled "Ponds & Lakes of the White Mountains", this mill was used by the Lucy family of Conway for timber salvage following the 1938 hurricane that devastated this and many other regions of the Whites. It was also interesting to read in Steve's book that the Nancy Pond Trail was first opened in 1938, but it was obliterated that very same year by the huge hurricane. Bummer!:eek: The trail wasn't re-opened until 1960!

Remains of Lucy Mill
Remains_of_Lucy_Mill.JPG

Some might consider a hike to a pond to be less interesting than a hike to a high peak. However, when conditions are right, I think certain pond hikes can provide vistas that rival those from some of the high peaks. And although I didn't get the type of views that I had hoped for on this particular trip, they were overall quite unique and satisfying!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
More great stuff John! The frosted trees on Nancy Pond make the perfect Winter Wonderland scene. The clouds rolling in across Norcross may have ruined the Pemi view but they made the westward view across the pond spectacular. This was the perfect proof that a great hike doesn't require elevation.

More great stuff John! The frosted trees on Nancy Pond make the perfect Winter Wonderland scene. The clouds rolling in across Norcross may have ruined the Pemi view but they made the westward view across the pond spectacular. This was the perfect proof that a great hike doesn't require elevation.
Mark . . . thanks for your nice words . . . much appreciated!

And, I completely agree with your statement that "a great hike doesn't require elevation” (as in hiking to a high peak).

It is interesting that for this particular pond-hike there is an elevation gain of 2,150 ft which is identical to that for Mt. Jackson (via the Webster-Jackson Trail from Rt. 302)!

I've always liked the view from the end of Norcross Pond also.

I remember one time doing it in early summer with some friends, and we watched a female moose and her calf on the other side of the pond. The calf didn't pay any attention to us as we tried to move quietly down the trail, but mama rather casually moved out into the pond a bit and ambled along, keeping herself between the calf and us.

Lucy Mill - Not a Mill

The brick and concrete structure in that location was actually the boiler support and firebox for a steam donkey engine that powered a cableway to get the logs down the mountainside. If you poke around in the duff surrounding the site you will find many feet of the thick wire cable that was used in the hauling process. Also, the chimney spark arrester and part of the flue is lying across the trail from the rest of the remains. A sawmill needs a fairly substantial amount of level ground, as well as a way to transport the sawed lumber out. Neither of which exists this far up the Lucy Brook Ravine. If they had a mill, it must have been somewhat further down the ravine.

... If they had a mill, it must have been somewhat further down the ravine.

I wonder if the old mill a few miles down the road off Sawyer Road (the name should tell us something) would have been close enough to saw the logs? That old mill is visible if you walk the road in summer - winter snows usually hide the old foundation. Several years ago a heavy rain washed the road out, for a couple of years the usual way to Carrigain & Vose Spur entailed the 2 mile road walk. You got a good opportunity to see the old foundations down in that valley.

Sorry, Happyhiker - we've managed to totally hijack your thread!

Ellen: Thank you for your kind words!

Kevin and Hillwalker: Thank both of you for your commentary about the "Lucy Mill" operations!
And Kevin, no need to apologize . . . I don't consider you and Hillwalker to be "hijacking" my thread! I consider it as providing some meaningful input!:)

Most likely there's a reference source that provides details about the various components of the lumber salvage operations that took place in the Nancy Brook area following the 1938 hurricane. But for certain, there were lumbering operations in that area following the hurricane. I just checked my 1940 copy of the White Mountain Guide, and on page 277 it states:

"In 1938 the AMC opened a trail from Notchland up Nancy Brook past the Cascades to Nancy Pond. On account of hurricane damage and subsequent lumbering, the trail will be closed in 1940."

Sawyer Pond hike

As stated by Stash ...we had a great hike on Friday and came to the same conclusion .... you don't have to summit to have a nice hike and some great pics. You pics were great. Any day out in the Whites is better than a good day at work.

thx again for the great thread.

:)

Pete and PETCH: Hey . . . thanks guys for your nice words!

And Pete, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that "Any day out in the Whites is better than a good day at work." It doesn't matter if you're going to a water-filled opening in the forest (like a pond, lake or bog), or some bare rock outcropping, or someplace in between . . . it's all GOOD!:)