A December Finish on Moriah, 12/30/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moderator Note
It looks like things have resolved themselves here, but just a reminder that it's very difficult to understand tone of voice or intent from the printed word on a screen, especially with strangers. If you have a problem with another poster consider taking a step away from the computer for a bit, or at minimum using PMs or a note to a moderator to inquire further.

In the meantime, the issue of snowshoes vs crampons is probably better suited for another thread in an appropriate forum. Feel free to start a new thread to continue the discussion.

-dave-

Congrats for finishing your December grid, folks! 3 MORE MONTHS to go! Wishing you both good weather. Thanks for posting. Informational as always and I love following your quest for the grid.

Congrats on another month in the books Earl and Sue! Best of luck counting down your grid peaks over the next couple of months! Looking forward to following the rest of the journey. I'm certain that no kittens will be injured along the way :rolleyes:

Hey Chris & Mark,

Thanks for your positive comments.

We're getting there.

;)

Hi Earl,

Sounds like it was a great day to be in the North country. I am planning on a solo hike from the Carter-Moriah Trail on Saturday. Have you heard anything about the conditions on this trail?

Thank you for your time and congratulations on an active December!

Z

Hi Earl,

Sounds like it was a great day to be in the North country. I am planning on a solo hike from the Carter-Moriah Trail on Saturday. Have you heard anything about the conditions on this trail?

Thank you for your time and congratulations on an active December!

Z
When we were there on Sunday the Carter-Moriah Trail from Bangor Street wasn't broken out; there was no sign of traffic at all. We left the summit area around 1:30 pm and there certainly could have been traffic there since that time.

I hope you enjoy the hike.

Last edited:
Hi Earl,

I am most appreciative of the Carter-Moriah intel. I will check it out early tomorrow and see if it is a ghost town. If it isn't broken I will literally be following your footsteps.

Thank you again and I look forward to more chats,

Z

Summit Seeker, unless you just want to red line the CM trail from Bangor Street,the Stony Brook trail approach is far better to grab Moriah. The CM trail has several steep slabs that are fun to slide down at a high rate of speed but a "bear" to ascend. The trail also tends to disappear in spots in the last mile or so which can be tiring after breaking trail for several hours. Obviously its weather and snow dependent. There are also some open slabs where figuring out where the trail goes back in the woods is a bit of challenge, the trade off is the view north is good in these spots:)

To most folks, the CM approach is far better appreciated in the summer and fall then winter but HYOH.