A Gunks stroll - 12/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I told Laurie I was going to the Gunks, but I really didn't know where. I deliberately did not bring any maps. I have a good sense of direction, and a basic knowledge of the preserve and the house lands. And, as I told the couple that was returning as I set out, 'I have all day!' :D I did not bring a camera, (expect my cell phone), because Laurie's was with her at her job, and I deemed mine was 'too heavy' for the day's activities. I got out my summer pack, put a few essentials in it, and that was that.

I headed up Mountain Rest Road, and turned left on Butterville Rd. When I saw the Skytop tower, it hit me! I would approach from Lenape Lane. I parked my car and started down the long dirt road, having a brief chat with a couple who told me that getting to the tower was 'torturous'! :eek: The wife explained that it was not difficult, just very twisty. She was correct!

Lenape Lane ascends about 1000' thru a series of switchbacks, passing thru at least 2 working farms. (There is an easement for hikers who are preserve or House members). It also crosses the NYC Aqueduct, and goes by a few ruins. At about 800', I turned left and headed towards the tower. I have a perception that the Gunks are a long ridge line with steep cliffs. This is true, but I also discovered several deep valleys as I went along. The roads are usually constructed to slowly ascend these valleys, so you can frequently see the path above or below you. I determined that I would stay on the roads going up, so I would not miss signs at the switchback points. This proved to be a good idea. Almost every switchback has a trail, or a road branching off, and I frequently needed to read these signs to continue towards my destination.

I passed over the hill to the ENE of Skytop and found a road that brought me under the cliffs on the east side. This was pretty cool! When I came to the Southern point of the cliffs, I headed briefly in the direction of the House and the Lake, but turned back when an idea struck me. Why not go out to Rhododendron Bridge (the bridge that crosses over Rts. 44/55 when they pass between The Traps), and make a huge loop! So, I turned around and followed the Old Minnewaska Road to the UnderCliff/Overcliff Junction. Here I was able to consult a map, and see that I was where I intended to be. I chose Undercliff, because the sunny day was supposed to cloud up soon.

The views along this stretch were great, both up to the cliffs, and out to the Hudson Valley and beyond. A vulture soared high overhead a few times, and a few chunks of ice came tumbling down from the cliffs. At the end, the frozen waterfall was quite impressive.

Falls.jpg

The road alternated between icy and just dirt. I put on and then removed my micro-spikes several times during the day.

Reaching the bridge, I turned the corner and proceeded on OverCliff. I had lunch as I started back. The views of the Catskills here were great. When I arrived at the 5 way junction, I took the road that slowly ascends Eagle Cliff. At some point, I guessed that I needed to leave the road, because I remembered Matt leading us towards Spring Farm on this road. That was not a correct assumption, but it saved me a lot of time, as I later learned when I looked at a map. I found a steep path that lead up thru the easier sections of cliffs, and actually climbed a ladder to exit back on the road!

In a few minutes, I was approaching the House. I skirted around it and found the access path for Skytop at the end of the lake. (A lot of these paths were technically closed, but with the micro-spikes on, they were easy. Also, they all had lots of old footprints. You decide...). After a few more minutes, I stopped for a view of the Lake, House, and the Catskills from a gazebo.

House.jpg

I could hear the lake groaning. Both ends were frozen but the middle was still open water. Then I pressed on to the top.

Tower.jpg

The tower was open and I climbed up and admired the views in all directions: To the South, the sheer cliffs of the Gunks, the Catskills spread out in their winter majesty to the west, the Hudson Valley and distant mountains to the East.

Gunks.jpg

I returned by heading down the carriage road, and jumping down the Fox path. It was almost completely bear. Then I picked a road that ran back to where I had started under Skytop. Soon, I was back on Lenape Road. Actually, I left it every time I could see the road straight below me, and plunged downhill, with great traction from the micro-spikes. The whole hike took about 6 hours and looks to be about 12 miles.

A very nice way to spend a day, in my own back yard! :D