A Mystery Slide trip report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Reaction score
This past Thursday (8/25) Dugan and I drove to a trailhead in the WMNF to bag a 4,000 footer. While this trail isn't generally used to hike 4,000 footers, it is frequently used by people working on their NEHH lists.

We headed out on the nearly level trail and reached a brook crossing 8/10ths of a mile later. From here we left the trail and followed an obvious herd path up the left bank about .1 mile to a campsite. Beyond here the herd path became more difficult to follow so we jumped into the brook and rock hopped about a mile upstream passing several other campsites to a wall of debris acoss the brook.

We bushwhacked around the right side of the wall and discovered a confluence just beyond it. We took the right branch upstream and quickly realized we were on the slide we were looking for.

The lower portion of the slide is little more than a dried up brook, but a little further up it widens and becomes a talus field. The middle portion of the slide is very ledgy with some wet and tricky areas. Some of the rock on the ledges is loose and crumbly. We skirted the edge next to the trees to get through some of the more difficult areas. The upper portion of the slide is mostly loose rock and gravel.

From the top of the slide we bushwhacked about 2-3 hundred yards to the trail along the ridge. The bushwhack through the 10-20 foot tall evergreens was difficult in places, but far from impassable. There was no evidence of herdpaths in this area.

After reaching the trail we continued East past the site of the old fire tower to the summit where we had lunch while enjoying the views. We then ventured on down the trail to bag another nearby 4,000 footer.

To return to the car from the top of the second peak we decided to bushwhack it. We descended the thickly wooded west slope losing about 1400' elevation in about 3/4 of a mile. Then we followed the brook in the bottom of the ravine back the confluence where the wall of debris was. From here we bushwhacked and rock hopped back to the brook/trail junction, then out the easy trail to the car.

While this slide isn't nearly as steep as some of other slides in the area, it rises about 400 feet more than the North Tripyramid Slide and is nearly three times it's length. Even more interesting is the fact that while the slide looks quite impressive from the road that the trailhead is on, only about the upper 2/3rds of the slide is visible from the road.

It took us 5 1/2 hours from trailhead to the first summit. Three hours of which was spent on the slide. In comparison, it took us 55 minutes to climb the Arrow Slide on North Hancock.

Note: The steep ledgy sections with the crumbly rock were very hazardous.

High Res. pics.

So....can you guess which slide this is? and the names of the two 4,000 footers, the name of the trail we started on, the name of the brook, the NEHH peak/s near this trail? :D

If you'd like more info...or clues, post or PM me.

Bushwack to Osceola?
I haven't hiked the Osceola's yet, but I think I can bairly see the Arrow slide distant in one of your pics. When I was on North Hancock, I noticed that the north face of Osceola was heavily scarred by slides... Could one of the slides in this pic from the top of North Hancock be the one?
Sounds like an awesome hike!

Haystacker said:
Bushwack to Osceola?
I haven't hiked the Osceola's yet, but I think I can bairly see the Arrow slide distant in one of your pics. When I was on North Hancock, I noticed that the north face of Osceola was heavily scarred by slides... Could one of the slides in this pic from the top of North Hancock be the one?
Sounds like an awesome hike!

That's it. It's the left slide in your pic. The one with the 45 deg. left turn part way up.

That was too easy. I figured the pic with Arrow Slide in it would give it away.

:D

Wow, that looks like a fun hike! I wish I'd have had clear weather when I did the Osceolas :( Congrats also on completing the traverse you two. Boy, I've got a lot of hiking to do...

Until Thursday, I didn't think there was a hard way to hike the Osceolas... This was *definitely* a "fun" and challenging hike - NOT one for novices or those who have issues with heights...

I had a great time as this was my first time researching and leading (under NH's guidance) a bushwhack in the Whites. Though I'm comfortable with my compass skills here in home territory, I'm not confident about going off trail in the Whites. NH has nicely agreed to mentor me in my efforts to become comfortable with 'whacking elsewhere besides home turf. This will help the NEHH list - not that I keep track - to become a realistic goal for me.

NH_Mtn_Hiker neglected to mention the A-10 jets we saw playing in the skies above the slide, leaving flares... He also neglected to mention the capture in the "mud" (i.e. sucking deep muck pile) of my right trail runner (does this re-open the boots vs trail runner debate??) in the on the bushwhack descent off East Osceola. As I was collapsed, laughing, at the sight of my shoe buried deep - indeed, sucked off my foot <still laughing>, NH graciously circled around, brought it to the surface, and even rinsed it (somewhat) free of muck... <still laughing> It may even now (three days later!!!) be almost dry! <even still laughing>

In the following days, we had just as much fun hiking other places (trailed and otherwise), and even a Presi Traverse on Saturday. Wahoo!!!!

With that said, I regret not completing the 100 mile wilderness with Cracker over the past two two weeks as originally planned. However, Dugan four-legs is glad to have me home. He's still hoping to meet & greet with Jade's Carmen. Someday (hopefully later this fall) we'll all get back to the Weenie Section of the M-M trail.... stay posted to the Events forum for dates... the only thing required is a good sense of humor... especially an appreciation for Monty Python!!!

mentioned presi traverse

Bob, are you going to post about your presi traverse from last weekend? did you do it

Nice Trip and great Pics.Did you guys start out on the East Pond Trail?
Points for creative bushwacking!

Great trip! That looks like my kind of slide - I might have to head out there someday ... :)

Hikerfast,
Jessbee, Dugan, and I bailed out at Edmands Col on our Presi Traverse attempt on the 20th. This past Saturday Dugan and I spotted my car in Crawford Notch, then drove to Appalachia. We bagged the basic 9 peaks and finished the Traverse in just under 13 hours. No trip report...It was a great day to spend in...and all over the Presi's though. :)

Skiguy,
Yes, East Pond Trail .8 miles to the brook crossing. Then follow Pine Brook upstream for about a mile (avoiding smaller brooks flowing into it) to the base of the slide.

MichaelJ,
If you like long slides with a little bit of eveverthing this is it. Scree, ledges, a few scrambles, and an easy climb up a huge gravely slope. There were several campsites along the way to the slide but no facilities though. :D :D

skiing slide on north side of osceola

What about skiing this bad boy? Anybody done it? Anybody interested in going in this winter?

Have you scouted the route bare? It's steeper than I'd want to ski (but then, I'm not very experienced), and has a couple of sizeable ledges also.

NH_Mtn_Hiker posted a winter TR for this route last winter. If memory serves, he'd said there was some ice, which would make a skiing route that much more challenging.

Last edited:
prana78 said:
What about skiing this bad boy? Anybody done it? Anybody interested in going in this winter?

As they say...If we told you we would have to kill you. All kidding aside scout the route. Under the right conditions this is very doable on Skis. A banner year which last year would NOT be an example of and when things have stabilized...usually Marchish is the time to go.Know how to evaluate Avalanche Hazards. There are other Gems to be had in this neck of the Woods.

prana78 said:
This is a fairly new slide. I hiked it again this summer (3 times now) and it had changed considerably since the previous summer....definately a more difficult hike.

I'm not a skier, but I think given ample snow, this badd boy is one of the most skiable slides in the whites...and with several 4-12 foot ledges, it you want air, you got it. :D

Because of the ledges, you should probably climb this before you try to ski it. ;)