A new approach to Mt Greylock... 6/24/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Car problems had me stranded in the berkshires this weekend. So to make lemonade out of nettles, I checked off another item from the bucket list and rode my Salsa touring bike from my house to the Roaring Brook trailhead in Williamstown and climbed greylock via Roaring Brook, the Hopper Trail and the A.T. on a really nice bluesky day. Not too hot, not too cold. It's about a 17.75 mile trip for me to ride around Onata and Pontoosuc Lakes to Rt 7 and then up Rt 7 through Lanesborough, New Ashford, and Williamstown to the trailhead where I locked my bike on a tree that happened to be surrounded by nettles. I figure what makes a better natural alarm system than stinging nettles. Sure enough, the bike was there when I got back..

I basically carried some trail runners and a golite Dawn daypack in my panniers since I use bike shoes. And I carried my helmat and my bike shoes with me...

The hike itself is beautiful as always, I really like the RB approach, it is I think my favorite approach since it is always shady and the stream is nice. The third bridge is still collapsed but there is a reroute and the third bridge is actually still crossable as well as the stream.

Really nice day today too, the summit was a beautiful blue sky, various parties were around, some backpackers were there (not thru hikers) and some volunteers were planting or dealing with the plants around the Bascom Lodge. Great view of the catskills and a nice day to lounge.

Hike back down was back down the hopper to Sperry Campground and then I walked out to Stony Ledges and took that trail down. Reversed the process, put my trail runners in my panniers and put my helmet back on and the hiking stuff in the bags and biked home..

Just in time for a meeting..

https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20120624GreylockViaRoaringBrookBike

Jay