A Night at Times Square 3/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamFarmer

Reaction score
I lugged my gear up to Times Square on Friday afternoon, camped, and had sunrise on Santanoni. What a nice remote feeling. It was worth the extra work.
I Returned to my camp, consolidated my “junk” and left it in Times Square as I headed for Couchsachraga. Around 11 AM as I was “drying out” on Couchies’ summit I began to hear other hikers coming ! Quickly I made myself “decent”.
There were lots of hikers out and about ! TurkeyBob and son Joe, Prino, Snickers, El Loco (c’mon Keith do it ! ) , Paul & Jennster, Annie and Yvon, steved, Crazymama….and some new folks too ! I hope I didn’t forget anyone.
I was back to Times Square around 2 and packed up and headed down to Bradley Pond L/T to get my sled. What an energy saver. I even rode it a few times on the way out.
Stuff I learned:
Get a level site- Once the snow turned to ice beneath my plastic “ground cloth” I was dealing with sliding issues. Luckily I tied my corners to the trees which kept me from sliding downhill and out from under my cover. I had a plastic tarp on the ground, with a plastic tarp over me. I had two foam pads which were fine for insulating from the ground, and an air mattress that I didn’t even use because I thought it might add to my sliding problems.
Get a better pot—I was melting snow for drinking water and I wasted a lot of time because the pot was small-maybe a 5” diameter. Something with a larger diameter and less deep would’ve been much better. I did not take the time to melt enough snow and ended up not drinking as much as I should have. My usual stupid mistake.
Cheese is great— “steved” was munching cheese when we assaulted the Sewards and it got me thinking. I kept a block in my “inner pants” pocket where it stayed warm and enjoyable all day long.
MSR’s do actually break---the metal foot plate just broke apart near one of the hinges. I’m not surprised by the beatings I given these things. I have no complaints. I bought new Denali Ascents at “ Mountainman” in Old Forge on the way home ($179 less 30 %).

Sleeping under a tarp in the winter on the side of a Mt. :cool: The only thing cooler is the sunrise on Santanoni. :cool:

Great solo winter climb/campout.

Great trip report.

Last edited: