A Quest for Blueberries - 6/29/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Started the hike southbound on the Appalachian Trail as it crosses Millbrook Road. Since it was a Monday, I wasn’t too surprised to find no other cars in the parking area. Although the weather and temps were near perfect, the big, white, puffy clouds dominated much of the blue sky, with the occasional dark clouds thrown in for drama.

After about 1/3 mile into the hike, the Rattlesnake Swamp Trail turns right off of the AT. The trail is well maintained, and though there are a few rocky sections, most of the trail is very soft underfoot. Mosses are abundant, and a multitude of vernal pools offer glimpses of frogs, turtles, and snakes. Despite trying to be quiet enough to photograph some of these creatures, they always seemed to slip into the water to hide whenever I reached for my camera.

I tried to photograph as many wildflowers as I could, but I am embarrassed to admit that I can only identify the Daisy.

Discovered a foundation of some sort not far off the trail. There was a cut-off pipe sticking up near one end, and a spherical opening (for lack of a better way to describe it) on the other end. I took several photos of this. Anyone know what this might be?

Despite the many days of rain in June, the trail was dry, even through the wet sections. The stepping-stones and wooden bog bridges, while nicely constructed, were not necessary as the ground underneath was surprisingly dry.

Passed Catfish Pond and the AMC Mohican Outdoor Center. Saw a few families getting ready to try some kayaking. Continued on down the dirt road stopping only to photograph more wildflowers. Or were they weeds?!? I found some poison ivy (I think) and took a photo of that too.

Back on the Appalachian Trail, I now hiked north toward the Catfish Firetower. This part of the AT is very scenic as the trail meanders over several ledges with good views across the NJ Highlands. Not what most people think of when they think of NJ.

Came across the burn area from a forest fire a few years ago. Finally found some blueberries, but they were not ripe. Continued north across more ledges with more good views. While looking down, I suddenly came upon another area of blueberries, …… this time they were mostly ripe. Sat down and ate about a pint! That’s what I’m talking about!

Arrived at the firetower a short time later, still wiping blueberry juice off my face. Climbed the tower to enjoy the views, the breeze, and to take more photos. Nice to have the whole place to myself ….. a rare treat.

From the firetower, it is only about a mile or so back to the car. When I arrived there, another car was next to mine, but I hadn’t seen another hiker all day. Perhaps they were doing the same loop as I had done. A great day to be out. My objective of scarfing down some blueberries was met, so I’d call the hike a success! :)

(This hike was over 2 weeks ago, and I usually don't post reports for short, local hikes like this one ..... but was hoping for some help identifying some of the wildflowers, ..... or maybe weeds ...... that I photographed, ..... and maybe some insight into the foundation.)

PICS

in order:

mountain laurel, daisy, common buttercup (probably), aster (I stink at asters), rose (possibly dog rose), daylily

7 and 8 are Kalmia (Mountain Laurel)
27 is a daisy (Chrysanthemum Leucanthemum)
31 -32 looks like a buttercup
33 is Fleabane (Erigeron Philadelphicus)
34 - 37 looks like Virginia Rose
38 is Virginia Creeper..I think... they should have leaves in groups of 5, but the growing tips might start with only 3.
67 - 68 are tiger lillies (non native)

Last edited: