A Trip to Mohonk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Sunday, Laurie and I drove over to the Mohonk Mountain House property, near New Paltz. After paying the modest $16.00 per person entry fee ( :eek: ), we parked and started our hike. For our entrance fee, we recieved a very detailed and accurate map of the grounds, (no joke). The trails and dirt roads that we walked on were very well maintained and clearly marked. Some of the trails were 'closed', but since we only encountered the 'closed' sign at the end of the trail, we took them anyway. There was a dusting to an inch of snow on the trails.

Mohonk has 3 grades of trails: Easy, Moderate, and Difficult. The Difficult never rose to the level of Moderate as far as we were concerned, even with a covering of ice in places. Most of the visitors to Mohonk are wealthy tourists (at least they'd better be to stay at the hotel! :eek: ) , who are most likely not accustomed to strenuous hiking.

For the most part, the trails and hiking roads are secluded from the 'dangerous auto road' (seen on a sign) and buildings on the grounds. We felt like we were out in the woods most of the time. Every few minutes, we would see other walkers, who were for the most part very friendly. A few even had backpacks! :)

There are numerous gazebos on the Mohonk property, most of which offer fine views of the surrounding area. Some look West off towards the Catskills, some look East towards the Hudson Valley, and some look South towards the Gunks, etc.

Near the summit is the sprawling Mohonk Mountain House itself. It sort of reminds you of a European chalet, that just kept growing and growing. You are allowed to look at it, but the map warned us to stay away! :eek: I didn't bother to inquire how much it would cost to peek in! :eek: :D (Actually, I was inside once, many years ago. It's very opulent, and I remember they have fantastic spring water).

At the last gazebo before the summit, you can look almost straight down 200-300' feet to the lake below. The water was very dark and calm. Most of the other bodies of water we saw were already starting to be frozen over, but the lake was free of ice.

Continuing to the very top of the mountain, you finally see the Mohonk Tower, or Skytop, as it is called. It was actually a firetower in the past, and so it had some pull on us. The tower is made of huge blocks of stone, and is about 70 feet high. It will most likely survive all the other fire towers for many, many years. From the tower, it is asserted that you can see 5 other states (NJ, PA, CT, MA, VT). VT was questionable at best, but we could see the other 4, including High Point Monument in NJ. Not bad for a peak only 1600' high! It was a little hazy in most directions, but the Southern Catskills stood out quite nicely. Using binoculars, we looked for but could not see any other firetowers, although Overlook, Hunter, and Beacon were clearly visible.

Amazingly, we had Skytop to ourself for about 10 minutes before a few other people showed up. We chatted with them about the area, the towers, etc. It was a little windy at the top, but bearable. After some hot tea, and a light lunch, we made our way back down the network of trails, (about a 4.5 mile round trip, with around 500' of elevation gain), back to the car, and off to a warm pub in New Paltz! :D

One of my favorite hiking areas... first time I saw the Mtn House I had skiied up from where the carriage road crosses Rt 44/55(?) at the iron bridge. Needless to say, it was jaw-dropping!

Took my 20 year old daughter hiking there late one winter, with some snow still on the ground. We manage to weasel our way into the hotel by telling them we were interested in having her wedding reception there. That sure opened a few doors!

AMF said:
One of my favorite hiking areas... first time I saw the Mtn House I had skiied up from where the carriage road crosses Rt 44/55(?) at the iron bridge. Needless to say, it was jaw-dropping!

We call it the 'Steel Bridge', but I know what you're talking about! :D And yes, it's 44/55.

[removed incorrect info]

Last edited:
How to do the Shawangunks on less $$$

I love the Gunks, but agree that paying to hike is a drag.
A few FYIs- the bridge is known as Trapps Bridge, being near the Trapps, which are the cliffs on which the rock climbers do their thing. More importantly, the Mohonk Preserve and the Mohonk Mountain House and Minnewaska State Park have reciprocal agreements. So, for instance, you can buy a Mohonk Preserve day pass ($8 per person) or membership ($50 per year) and then walk onto Mountain House lands or Minnewaska lands. Minnewaska is potentially cheaper still since you pay by the carload instead of by the person. I think it's currently $6 or $7.

I agree that $16 per person is just ridiculous-I think $8 per person is even pretty steep. I'm a member of the Preserve and it's worth every penny for me because I live 10 minutes away. I go up there quite a bit, and basically consider it an incredibly important community resource. I start all my hikes on the Preserve but frequently walk into Minnewaska or the Mountain House lands. Anyone who wants to hit the Gunks more than say 4 or 5 times in a year, I'd strongly recommend becoming a member. You also get a 10% discount on maps and books at their Visitor Center store.

But even if you're just buying day passes, I'd recommend starting hikes in the Preserve or Minnewaska-it's cheaper and a lot of the coolest hikes are on those parcels anyhow. There are also some great destinations on the Mountain House lands of course-case in point Sky Top, and Rock Rift and Eagle Cliff also come to mind. But you can easily hike to anywhere within the Mountain House parcel from either the Preserve's Warwarsing or Spring Farm parking lots. Hope some of this info is of use to anyone who might consider hiking in the Gunks but is put off by the fees.

Matt

P.S. Historical Gunx fun fact: Guy and Laura Waterman were married at the Mountain House and then proceeded to climb a cliff and spend their wedding night bivying on a ledge!

Last edited:
mcorsar said:
I love the Gunks, but agree that paying to hike is a drag.
A few FYIs- the bridge is known as Trapps Bridge, being near the Trapps, which are the cliffs on which the rock climbers do their thing. More importantly, the Mohonk Preserve and the Mohonk Mountain House and Minnewaska State Park have reciprocal agreements. So, for instance, you can buy a Mohonk Preserve day pass ($8 per person) or membership ($50 per year) and then walk onto Mountain House lands or Minnewaska lands. Minnewaska is potentially cheaper still since you pay by the carload instead of by the person. I think it's currently $6 or $7.

P.S. Historical Gunx fun fact: Guy and Laura Waterman were married at the Mountain House and then proceeded to climb a cliff and spend their wedding night bivying on a ledge!

Hmmm, the woman at the gate house told me that I could NOT use my Mohonk Mountain House pass for other adjoining properties! :confused: I'll take your word for it, as I've heard that asserted before.

BTW, Pete Fish was also married up on the tower!

Tom Rankin said:
Hmmm, the woman at the gate house told me that I could NOT use my Mohonk Mountain House pass for other adjoining properties! :confused: I'll take your word for it, as I've heard that asserted before.

BTW, Pete Fish was also married up on the tower!

That is weird what the woman told you Tom. Perhaps the policy is different when someone is starting on the Mountain House land rather than the Preserve. All the more reason to start out from the Preserve. On this page: http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/index.php?member it mentions that members can walk onto neighboring land, although it doesn't mention day pass holders in that context. This is from the little trail map you get at the Preserve Visitors Center:

"The Mohonk Mountain House is a separate property and resort hotel. A reciprocal agreement allows Preserve members and day visitors to visit the 2,200-acre grounds (excluding the beach, interior and porches of the Mountain House) when they are open to day visitors. There is no extra cost if you enter on foot from Preserve lands. Pets are not permitted on the resort grounds. Bicycles and horses are restricted to certain areas; please respect signage."

"When entering Minnewaska on foot, bicycle or horseback there is no entry fee; however Minnewaska is under separate jurisdiction from the Mohonk Preserve and has it's own trail and carriage road rules and guidelines."

I didn't know that about Pete. I believe he grew up here in New Paltz or at least hereabouts and I know he started his ranger career in the Catskills before being transferred to the ADKs. Sky Top would be a nice to place to get married. The only problem is you can't fit too many guests up on top of the tower!

Matt

Mohonk is pricey, but a fun place to hike. Back in the 1970s I redlined the resort and preserve trails. Ever since I have gotten in the habit of buying a Preserve membership each year. In the late 1970s preserve members could park free at the resort gatehouse, but that is sadly no longer the case. I have now become accustomed to the hike in from Spring Farm. It is always a good excuse to stop at the Bonticou Crag or Rock Rift Crevices on the way in or out. Spring Farm also is a good trailhead for XC skiing.

In late October I did notice those chain link "trail closed for the season" signs on the rough trails around Skytop. They were not across the trails then, just hanging waiting for the first snow or ice to hit. The resort has gotten super sensitive about potential liability problems, even permanently closing the Staircliff and Pinnacle Paths after a fatality several years ago. It is a shame as those trails are no more dangerous than most hiking trails elsewhere in the Gunks. Just a proximity thing to the hotel I suppose.

I have been inside the hotel several times for a variety of events, and it is impressive. A popular way to visit the hotel is to make meal reservations in the main dining room (there is a dress code). It is also pricey but cheaper than staying the night. With meal reservations you can drive in to the hotel and wander around the hotel parlors and halls. In the summer there is plenty of time for some hiking after lunch.