Adams and Madison, 9/7/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAmeche

Reaction score
After a long morning drive up I-93, I finally arrived at the Appalachia parking lot at 7:30 AM with the intention of hiking the two northern Presidential peaks, Adams and Madison. I stretched and got my pack together before I hit the trail at 7:40. There were quite a few cars in the small parking lot, but since most of the windows were wet with moisture, I guessed that they had been there overnight. The weather was clear and sunny with few clouds, and about 65 degrees, with the tiniest bit of humidity.

I started on the Air Line and crossed the clearing from the old railroad, then entered the woods. The trail slowly began getting steeper as it ascended the ridge, and sure enough, my heels began burning from my boots just after the Randolph Path intersection. In what was becoming a standard routine by now, I took a few minutes to bandage and tape up my feet, then resumed my pace. Would these boots ever get broken in? Otherwise, I felt pretty good physically, and was making good time going up the trail.

After passing a cutoff for water, the Air Line became incredibly steep and rocky, and I began taking more rests. My desire to be above treeline pushed me forward, and eventually the trail leveled out a bit for some relief. At last I reached the “stop, people have died above treeline” sign, and within seconds the sun hit my face and I could see the open ridge above me. I worked my way up the knife-edge section of Durand Ridge, and the views into King Ravine to my right were spectacular. The way the wind blew through the ravine almost sounded like a waterfall was crashing somewhere down below. Madison and Adams loomed quietly above me. I saw my first hikers of the day coming down here, and they asked if I could take their picture, which I gladly obliged.

When I reached the intersection with the Gulfside Trail, the path now consisted of large, jagged rocks. I was thoroughly exhausted by now; the Air Line was no joke. Yet Adams was only a few hundred feet above me, and somehow I pushed myself to the top at 10:20. The views were outstanding, and I had never been this high in the Whites on such a clear day. (A previous trip to Washington in June was met with clouds and fog.) There was an odd haze to the north that I couldn’t quite seem to figure out; it looked more like a forest fire or smog rather than humidity. The other odd thing was the swarms of flies at the top, which I thought would be gone by this time of year. The only other hiker at the summit was VFTT’s SP1936, and we chatted for twenty minutes or so about charities and reputation points. ;)

I was still considering hiking northeast over to Madison, something I wanted to do but my legs were arguing against it. I had just hiked 4500 vertical feet in a little over two and a half hours, and I was certainly feeling it. Just before leaving I met another hiker from Ohio, and I quickly took a picture for him. At 11:00 I left the summit of Adams and made my way back down the Air Line, eating my lunch along the way. When I reached the Gulfside Trail again it was decision time, and I passed the Air Line on my left, heading toward Madison. Here I applied sunscreen, albeit rather belatedly, since it had slipped my mind earlier this morning.

The Madison Hut seemed completely vacant from the outside, although I heard some noise coming from inside. I went around the hut and started up the Osgood Trail to Madison. I hiked through a few yards of scrub, then immediately the trail steepened drastically. I made my way up the rocks, but after a minute I started to reconsider this decision. I could barely feel my legs, and although the summit looked close, I knew I had another 500 feet of vertical hiking to do. I pushed on through my exhaustion, taking frequent rests after every ten steps or so. I managed to slip between two rocks and scraped my shin pretty badly, but it wasn’t too serious and I figured I would tend to it when I got to my car.

Finally, after a grueling uphill slog I reached the summit of Madison at 12:05 PM. I hung out for a few minutes, finished the rest of my Gatorade and the roll of film in my camera, and started back down toward the Hut. I debated taking the Valley Way down the mountain, but since I knew what to expect of the Air Line, I opted for the way I came up. I took the short Air Line Cutoff from the Hut, met the Air Line, and proceeded down the ridge. Just after leaving the treeline I met four ladies coming up, and I took my third picture of the day, which I was happy to do. I wished them well and continued down the trail, eventually zoning out as I am wont to do on my downhill treks. Given how tired my legs were I was prepared for a slip, yet I was careful enough to make it to my car safely. I reached the parking lot at 2:05, filled up on gas at the Lowe’s store, and began the three hour drive back to Boston.

I second anyone's assertion to finish their 48's on either Adams or Madison. It was absolutely amazing up there.

To summit both Adams and Madison in one trip is much tougher than it sounds. 3 years ago we went up Valley Way to Madison Hut. Took Osgood up to peak Madison and Adams looked too damn close not to attempt. So we went back down to the hut and proceeded along Gulfside to Airline to peak Adams. Tough, tough, tough on a 98 degree humid day too. Coming off Adams, I had the not-so-bright idea of going down around the other side down Star Lake Tr which was real tough going down all those huge boulders. My knees felt it by the time we reached the hut again and after a break, my knees tightened right up on me with 4 more miles to descend Valley Way. I remember hurting so much, I jumped into one of the lower pools with about a mile left. That dayhike was a killer and the toughest I've done so far. Of course the weather didn't help, nor was I in the best physical conidtion at the time (much more fit nowadays), but it was still a good time and a good hike. We enjoyed tremendous views all day!

You did a great job summing up the test of Adams and Madison in such a way that others can relate to it.

I too think it is amazing up there. We had the good fortune of a brilliant blue sky with stunning white clouds stretched high over Washington, Jefferson and some of the other Presidentials making for a picture perfect postcard day. Not only was the sky beautiful but also the views above tree line, but nothing beats the breathtaking view down into the Great Gulf.

Like yourself, we did both Adams and Madison, and in that order. It was our next to the last hike in finishing the 48, and definitely a test. I can remember being amazed at watching a fellow come up Adams with only Tevas on, then pass the summit and head towards Jefferson.

I wasn't the only one tested on this hike. While it was the most challenging for me, it was Atticus' most difficult. The previous week he had a hard time going up Jefferson, but made it nevertheless. But for Adams and Madison we came better prepared and he wore his hiking "boots". The rocks didn't bother his pads because of it, but some were just too high or too sharp-edged for a dog who only weighs 20 lbs to get over. There were times we resorted to me picking him up and charging forward, as if I were Corey Dillon and he the football.

Atticus is mostly independent so he didn't take well to having to be lifted over and over again up on top of some of the higher rocks. Needless to say, in spite of the great views we were both happy to get back on the earthen paths below treeline.

Tom & Atticus

Nice trip report and well done. That was a very full day. It was good to meet you and talk for a while on the summit of Adams.

Steve

valley way

For your future information, the valley way is real nice, easy to follow, and well protected from the elements. It's a good way to go if the weather turns bad. Otherwise the air line is the spectacular way. Nice report. When I don't know what to do with myself, I love driving up there, and hiking to Madison col. There are a lot of nice options up there.

My Favorite

MrAmeche said:
After a long morning drive up I-93, I finally arrived at the Appalachia parking lot at 7:30 AM with the intention of hiking the two northern Presidential peaks, Adams and Madison. I stretched and got my pack together before I hit the trail at 7:40. There were quite a few cars in the small parking lot, but since most of the windows were wet with moisture, I guessed that they had been there overnight. The weather was clear and sunny with few clouds, and about 65 degrees, with the tiniest bit of humidity.

I started on the Air Line and crossed the clearing from the old railroad, then entered the woods. The trail slowly began getting steeper as it ascended the ridge, and sure enough, my heels began burning from my boots just after the Randolph Path intersection. In what was becoming a standard routine by now, I took a few minutes to bandage and tape up my feet, then resumed my pace. Would these boots ever get broken in? Otherwise, I felt pretty good physically, and was making good time going up the trail.

After passing a cutoff for water, the Air Line became incredibly steep and rocky, and I began taking more rests. My desire to be above treeline pushed me forward, and eventually the trail leveled out a bit for some relief. At last I reached the “stop, people have died above treeline” sign, and within seconds the sun hit my face and I could see the open ridge above me. I worked my way up the knife-edge section of Durand Ridge, and the views into King Ravine to my right were spectacular. The way the wind blew through the ravine almost sounded like a waterfall was crashing somewhere down below. Madison and Adams loomed quietly above me. I saw my first hikers of the day coming down here, and they asked if I could take their picture, which I gladly obliged.

When I reached the intersection with the Gulfside Trail, the path now consisted of large, jagged rocks. I was thoroughly exhausted by now; the Air Line was no joke. Yet Adams was only a few hundred feet above me, and somehow I pushed myself to the top at 10:20. The views were outstanding, and I had never been this high in the Whites on such a clear day. (A previous trip to Washington in June was met with clouds and fog.) There was an odd haze to the north that I couldn’t quite seem to figure out; it looked more like a forest fire or smog rather than humidity. The other odd thing was the swarms of flies at the top, which I thought would be gone by this time of year. The only other hiker at the summit was VFTT’s SP1936, and we chatted for twenty minutes or so about charities and reputation points. ;)

I was still considering hiking northeast over to Madison, something I wanted to do but my legs were arguing against it. I had just hiked 4500 vertical feet in a little over two and a half hours, and I was certainly feeling it. Just before leaving I met another hiker from Ohio, and I quickly took a picture for him. At 11:00 I left the summit of Adams and made my way back down the Air Line, eating my lunch along the way. When I reached the Gulfside Trail again it was decision time, and I passed the Air Line on my left, heading toward Madison. Here I applied sunscreen, albeit rather belatedly, since it had slipped my mind earlier this morning.

The Madison Hut seemed completely vacant from the outside, although I heard some noise coming from inside. I went around the hut and started up the Osgood Trail to Madison. I hiked through a few yards of scrub, then immediately the trail steepened drastically. I made my way up the rocks, but after a minute I started to reconsider this decision. I could barely feel my legs, and although the summit looked close, I knew I had another 500 feet of vertical hiking to do. I pushed on through my exhaustion, taking frequent rests after every ten steps or so. I managed to slip between two rocks and scraped my shin pretty badly, but it wasn’t too serious and I figured I would tend to it when I got to my car.

Finally, after a grueling uphill slog I reached the summit of Madison at 12:05 PM. I hung out for a few minutes, finished the rest of my Gatorade and the roll of film in my camera, and started back down toward the Hut. I debated taking the Valley Way down the mountain, but since I knew what to expect of the Air Line, I opted for the way I came up. I took the short Air Line Cutoff from the Hut, met the Air Line, and proceeded down the ridge. Just after leaving the treeline I met four ladies coming up, and I took my third picture of the day, which I was happy to do. I wished them well and continued down the trail, eventually zoning out as I am wont to do on my downhill treks. Given how tired my legs were I was prepared for a slip, yet I was careful enough to make it to my car safely. I reached the parking lot at 2:05, filled up on gas at the Lowe’s store, and began the three hour drive back to Boston.

I second anyone's assertion to finish their 48's on either Adams or Madison. It was absolutely amazing up there.

I've gotta say that this is my favorite hiking trip. I don't think my out of shape body would agree now, but I've done that hike 7 times and hope to do it again. The routes I've taken are various, but all awsome!