Adams, Jefferson 9/23-24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenC

Reaction score
Avitar: Sunset from Perch : Home:Western Mass
With a couple of days free i decided to take a solo journey to the Perch and visit Mt Adams and Jefferson. An early rise put me at Lowes Path around 10:00am. My goal was to head up to The Perch and grab a platform, then see what the weather was like and possibly do Adams.

The day began with the cool front moving in. Low level clouds, showers, were scheduled in the am with clearing in the pm. The trip up Lowes was quiet, peaceful. I bumped into a couple that had been up the week and were headed down and passed a pair headed up. These were the only people i saw on my way to the perch.

The skies began clearing down low but there was still the cieling above around 3500 feet. As i approached 3500 the ceiling seemed to lift to 4000, but pretty much in and out of the clouds to the Perch. I took some pictures on the way up and enjoyed the solitude, stopping occasionally to just listen! You know the feeling right?

Arrived at the perch and proceeded to set up camp. There was gear in the shelter but no one o any of the platforms. After i'd set up the tent and filtered water i decided to head on out the Perch Path to Israel Ridge Trail and maybe do Adams. Things looked like they were continuing to clear. Ip Israel ridge which merges with randolph and skirts along Castle Ravine. Spectacular views of The Castles from the trail and down into Castle Ravine. Turning towards storm lake and gulfside thiungs were pretty well socked in and the wind was up. At that point i decided to wait untill Saturday to do Both Adams and Jefferson as the weather was going to be great! Headed back to camp. peaple started arriving and by 4 the platforms were full. Great group of people.. mass, toronto, montreal, ny. Had dinner, and chatted and watched a great sunset over the Daks, the visibility was great!!

Saturday brought a sunny clear day that was worth waiting for. Hit the taril early and headed to Adams, via Israel Ridge. Only saw 2 people from the time I left camp until the summit of adams. A brisk, clear day with a pretty good breeze at the summit of Adams! A couple of summit pics and decended to T-Storm J. then the usual route to Jefferson, just plain enjoying the fantastic day in the mountains. It was picture perfect! The walk along the ridge looking into Jeff Ravine, The Great Gulf, Washington, Across to the Carters and Moriah is special for sure! Visited the “Pile of Rocks known as Jefferson Summit pretty crowded by now so just a quick stop there. Decended Jeff and took the Edmunds Cutoff across Castle Ravine again taking in the varying views and perspectives of Castle Ridge and the Castles. Reconnected with Israel Ridge and wandered back to the perch.

I broke camp and decided to take the Randolph Path down to the Log Cabin. Great path with a more wilderness feel than lowes. Certainly not used a lot but i really enjoyed it. I saw no one at all from the perch to the log cabin. From the log cabin out there were those small groups headed up for the evening which was good excuse for a quick chat and rest for the knees on this long day of downclimbing.

Any day in the mountains is great but the weather made this day a real treat!