Adirondack recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobonanda

Reaction score
This is probably a typical question, but being new to this forum, I couldn't seem to find an existing thread on it. Please point if it's already been covered.

In the middle of September, I'm dropping my wife off in Kingston, NY for a seminar. That means I have about five days for a solo trip to the Adirondacks; it's been years since I've been out solo, although I used to go a *lot* in NY and NH.

I'm looking for suggestions on a two-day/one-night, or three-day/two-night trip. Climbing to peaks is not necessary, although certainly a benefit. Water features (lakes, ponds & streams) are nice. Nice, rolling walks would be welcome as well. I travel ultralight, staying in a hammock, and tend to fade off the trail rather than staying in overused shelters and deforested campsites.

Mostly I'm looking for quietude and solitude. That rules out Colden/Mt. Marcy, as I recall it. :rolleyes: I once enjoyed the Five Ponds Wilderness, but I heard that the trail to Sand Lake caught some serious blowdown.

I have latest guides & topos to ADK Northern, Central and Southern regions.

Anyone have any favorites in these areas, or "must-do's?" Looking at the guidebooks, I just can't seem to make the best decision.

Much appreciated,
Rob

Bobonanda,
Check out the West Canada Lakes Area near Pillsbury mountain. You can go in by Sled harbor (Just north of Speculator and South of Indan Lake) and make a loop of it. If you head counter clockwise long the Miami River (I can't recall the actual trail name) to Cedar Lakes and hook up with the Northville Placid Trail Heading South to West Lake, Mud Lake and South Lake and then head east along Whitney Lake back to the Miami River Trail and back out to your vehicle.

I think this is about 22-23 miles, and offers solitude, a sandy beach, plenty of lakes, lean-to's and loon calls. Every year, I plan to go back but then life interrupts my plans - It really is peaceful, serenic and secluded.

If you want to add some miles, you can head S on the NLP to beautiful and secluded Spruce Lake and then just backtrack on the NLP back to the Whitney Lake Trail.

I think it is written up in the ADK West Central or Central Regions guidebook (I can look it up for you) if interested.
Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the recommendation! Sounds really nice, and has the advantage of being more southern, cutting down on driving to and from Kingston.

Wouldn't ya know? I have three new guidebooks, but the hike you described is in the West-Central region... gotta order a new book. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have any other favorites? So many trails, so little time.

Rob

Northville/Placid Trail

offers alot of the things you are looking for. You could access the southern end- I remember passing lovely lakes and not seeing anyone other then the people in my group.

Also- hikes in the Watson Triangle area are great- but that is a long haul and I'd rather be hiking then driving an extra day or two.

Pharoh Lake Wilderness is beautiful- but you will probably see more people.

Have a great one- please let us know where you went and how you enjoyed it- we love feedback on our recommendations and I see that feed back so infreguently.

I just did the loop recommended by Rick and have pics right here Click on West Canada Lakes.
I have a TR here.

If you're looking for a peaceful, easy feeling, lakes to camp by (the loons!) and unstrenuous strolling along a fairy-tale trail then go there.

AntlerPeak can e-mail you the pertinant sections of the guide book.
Allthough totally unnecessary on this very well marked loop I had my gps on all the time and can send you a jpeg of the maps.

Last edited: