ADK: Dogs in the High Peaks - Great Range, etc...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
Posting this question for a friend that is looking for information on hiking with his dog in the Adirondacks. He is working on getting access to post on VFTT, but for now can only read the responses.

I'm hoping for some information from folks who've done much of the 46
with their dog.

I've day hiked 9 of the 46ers with my 60 pound dog who is a strong
hiker. (She's climbed all the New England Hundred Highest with the
exception of the six peaks in Baxter State Park. She has made it up
trails that I probably should not have done with her such as King
Ravine in the Presidentials.) We'll be in the Adirondacks again at
the end of this week. I'm trying to learn which peaks or trails are
too difficult for dogs.

For instance, what about a Great Range traverse, which has some
ladder sections? Are they wooden steps, iron rungs? Can they be
bypassed by a dog? How about the steep west side of the west peak of
Gothics? Or Mt. Colden trail from Lake Colden, which has a ladder
section? Or the ladder section of trail 121 (Mt. Marcy and Mt. Colden
via Calamity Brook trail) at the intersection of 69 (Lake Colden
Northwest Shore trail)?

I'm familiar with the leash law and am aware of the restrictions at
Ausable Mountain Reserve. It's the difficulty of terrain specific to
a dog that I'm wondering about. Any information could help me a lot
in planning hikes/backpacks this month and in coming years. Thanks!

One or both of my dogs have done most of the trails you asked about. My Rottweiler, when younger, did most of the 46. He found ways around most of the ladders. Needed a boost on occasion like climbing the ladder next to the dam on Lake Colden. All of this was before the leash law so he was usually off the leash. Never went between Saddleback and Basin with him but that section would make me nervous with a dog. He was able to climb Saddleback from the other side and hiked the rest of the range from Gothics to the Wolfjaws. He climbed the trail from Lake Colden to Colden. I can't imagine having a dog on a leash through those areas. Would take a lot of the fun out of the hike for me. He weighed between 100 and 115 lbs. those days (135 now that he can't do those hikes!) My 40 lbs dog has done about half but mostly the ones outside of the leash law area. I think she could handle any trail in the adirondacks.
All of the "exterior" high peaks ( Seward, Sants, Allen, Whiteface, Giant,...) were no problem with either dog. Hope this helps.

I've climbed most of the High Peaks with a couple different dogs, from my recollection the only trouble spots were on Armstrong and Avalanche Pass. Both dogs I've hiked with are lab mixes, one approximately 45 lbs and the other about 55 lbs. There were several others areas that took some coaxing but nothing that was impassable.

I remember carrying my soaking wet dog up the ladder on Armstrong, that is not something I'd choose to do again.

cantdog said:
I think dogs aren't allowed in AMR land.
Yup, am quite sure Cantdog's right.

Sorta like climbing the NE67 with your dog. Since dogs aren't allowed in Baxter, the 4K Committe isn't going to going to recognize peaks beyond the NH4's for your 4 legged companion.

cantdog and kevin are correct. No dogs on AMR land, which means doing the Great Range with a dog can't use any of the eastern trails from (or to) the AMR.

The 46ers used to admit dogs to the ranks, but when the AMR outlawed dogs from their trails, the 46ers opted to end admitting dogs to the group in the spirit of cooperation. Dogs can, and some still do, climb them all (basically Dial,Nip,Colvin,Blake,and Sawteeth) via various longer routes, or bushwhacks. The 46ers felt that it would be a temptation for people to sneak across AMR lands and the best way to temper that would be no dog 46ers.

Rik's Rotty was an exceptional climber and the exception to the big dog rule. I think labs however can handle most sections of the Great Range, the ladders on Basin and Armstrong being the biggest question marks, and the Saddleback cliffs being sketchy too. My friend's Karelian did the cliffs no sweat, though. Actually she did Basin that day too, without a problem.

Rik, how can Dali only have done half by now? You've done at least a complete round since she's been around?

Doc McPeak said:
cantdog and kevin are correct. No dogs on AMR land, which means doing the Great Range with a dog can't use any of the eastern trails from (or to) the AMR.

The 46ers used to admit dogs to the ranks, but when the AMR outlawed dogs from their trails, the 46ers opted to end admitting dogs to the group in the spirit of cooperation. Dogs can, and some still do, climb them all (basically Dial,Nip,Colvin,Blake,and Sawteeth) via various longer routes, or bushwhacks. The 46ers felt that it would be a temptation for people to sneak across AMR lands and the best way to temper that would be no dog 46ers.

Rik's Rotty was an exceptional climber and the exception to the big dog rule. I think labs however can handle most sections of the Great Range, the ladders on Basin and Armstrong being the biggest question marks, and the Saddleback cliffs being sketchy too. My friend's Karelian did the cliffs no sweat, though. Actually she did Basin that day too, without a problem.

Rik, how can Dali only have done half by now? You've done at least a complete round since she's been around?

There are ways around the AMR if you are motivated enough to do the hikes from the public sides. Dali has done Dial via Gravestone Brook.
Doc, Dali has basically done the ones outside of the leash requirement area since neither she or I have interest in her spending the day on leash. She has done Allen, Sewards, Sants, Dixes, Giant/RPR, Whiteface/Esther, and a few others but if I hike "interior" peaks one day I'll usually hike outside of there the next so she can get a hike in. I think she has actually done more of the Whites and Catskills than she has the 46.

Kevin Rooney said:
Yup, am quite sure Cantdog's right.

Sorta like climbing the NE67 with your dog. Since dogs aren't allowed in Baxter, the 4K Committe isn't going to going to recognize peaks beyond the NH4's for your 4 legged companion.

Seriously...I think they should have special recognition, an award just for dogs, who have climbed all the peaks except those that humans banned them from.

I’ve done a lot hiking with my cousin and his dog, Tahawus (AKA The Goat), which included a Great Range traverse from the Roostercomb trailhead to Marcy. She some kind of terrier mix and weighs around 45 pounds. On the traverse, she had no problem climbing the wood rung ladder at Armstrong, she was a little shaky coming down Gothics, but was able to make it down better than the two of us. The only really difficult spots for her was coming down the Saddleback cliff, where we had to pass her down in a couple of spots, and coming down the wood ladder on the southeast side of Basin.

The dog variable.

Not only is there the question of the trail, but ask yourself about the abilities of the dog -- only you and your friend can answer this for sure. What breed of dog is it (or mixed breed)? How athletic is it? How old is it? Is it comfortable on ladders? Rock faces? It has been years since I have through hiked the Great Range, and the trails have eroded greatly over the years, but the terrain / trail is only half of the variable.

I have hiked with numerous dogs over the years, and you need to know the likes and abilities of your dogs -- Most dogs I have had have an aversion to the typical suspension bridges (obviously not found on the Range Trail itself). This summer I did a traverse of the Blake - Colvin and Nippletop - Dial ranges from Elk Lake to the Ausable Club bushwhacking out via Gravestone Brook to avoid AMR land where dogs are not allowed. Three of us hikers had 3 dogs -- 2 German Shorthaireod Pointers (GSP -- my currently preferred breed) and a Yellow Lab. Great trip, where we only met one other group. The 7 year old GSP climbed right up the rock face on the SW side of Colvin, the 7 month old GSP and the 3 y. o. Yellow Lab needed rope and harness assistance. All 3 were what I would consider athletic breeds.

In the past, I have had a Springer Spaniel that would go up ladders as easily as a human, and another GSP that would do rock faces and 6-10' rock steps that I had to take time with (ie. the standard route up Gray Peak) -- I had to guard him against impact injuries.

I climbed Algonquin with Winston (my first GSP) where I have seen other hikers carry their small dogs, or coaxing their Golden Retrievers out of the woods. I still remember the words of the summit steward and an older 46r -- "that is the only dog that belongs here."

I find hiking with dogs to be the best trips, but you have to know your dog as well as the terrain, and know your limitations with both.

Good luck, and let us know your results.

Bob Brainard said:
I climbed Algonquin with Winston (my first GSP) where I have seen other hikers carry their small dogs, or coaxing their Golden Retrievers out of the woods. I still remember the words of the summit steward and an older 46r -- "that is the only dog that belongs here."

I find hiking with dogs to be the best trips, but you have to know your dog as well as the terrain, and know your limitations with both.

Good luck, and let us know your results.

I think knowing your dog is MORE than half the equation.

My Rotti climbed Algonquin in both summer and winter. I'd say he belonged. :D

My only point is that knowing the individual dog is more important then the particular breed.

Last edited:
Rik, Agreed on all counts.

Dogs of the same breed can vary individually and also each dog will vary at different ages.

The quote I mentioned I took as in reference to the dogs seen on that particular day. :)

Dogs are a great addition to mountains. There's not a peak I wouldn't take my dog on. I would have taken her up Rainier this year, if I wasn't worried about the elevation and the fact they probobly aren't aloud. She's that good and that strong.

That just goes back to having to know your dog.

There's not a 46er peak that you should worry about. What spots are tough, you can assist. Rock pitch on Saddleback, Ladders in Avalnche path, and so on.

Have fun.