ADK South Lyon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
Hi there !

Going to Lyon/Averill Mtn tomorrow and was wondering if the trail to South Lyon existed or not. I've seen only one thread about it in here and it seems it doesn't exist anymore.

Map

Looks like good weather tomorrow ! :D

Thanks

Well, I couldn't find it...unless it now starts from Averill tower. This is the only place I didn't look carefully. It sure doesn't start from the true summit nor where most maps shows a trail. Heck, I even drove all the way around to look at all possible entrance roads or trailhead and only found private roads. :eek:

I sure did, what an awesome summit :D
Can I ask you what approach you took ?

With car spotting, John, Sue and I did Lyon, bushwhacked over to Averill, then South Lyon, bypassed Averill (on the west side) and approached NW Averill from the south. We then took the Averill trail down by the Separator Brook to a vehicle we left in the village (Lyon Mountain). I remember NW Averill as fairly open with limited views. How is it now?

Still really open, limited but good views, especially when you don't expect any :D What I liked the most was waist high vegetation...

Last edited: