ADK XC Ski option Sat 11/26?? Whiteface? Other areas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
I'd like to get in some early season skiing tomorrow and am trying to confirm where I might be able to go. Normally the best early options with limited depth include the toll rd on Whiteface, the Ausable Club road, the Santanoni Preserve rd from Newcomb or perhaps the S. Meadow rd in the high peaks. I see that Lapland Lake is open and assume Van Ho will be too but I really prefer less formal trails.

Anyone been out with current info on an acceptable place to ski? I'll use the old boards with plenty of character (dings).

The High Falls "Truck trail" in Wanakena N.Y. is a great seldom used trail that is very good for X-Country and is over 9 miles one way. Wanakena is about half way between Star Lake and Cranberry lake and is home to the SUNY Ranger school. The trail itself is a old logging railbed from the early 1900's (I have a photo of my Grandfather working with a log loader on this spur) which was turned into a truck trail used by Rangers until the early 1970's when it was closed to vehicular traffic to conform with the "Forever Wild" regulations. If you want peace and quiet with solitude, this is your trail. There are other options in this area also, and it is State land. More information can be found at the Wanakena General Store.

Did the Whiteface trip Sat 11-16

Plenty of snow on the toll road (except for windblown spots) so there was good skiing. See Trail Condition report. Probably 15 cars when I got back to the gate.

The Ausable Club area didn't seen to have near as much snow when I drove by. I'm guessing skiing would be marginal unless they got a few inches today.