adks hiking suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurcam

Reaction score
3 days - wed, thurs and fri of this week just opened up for me and i am looking into a 3 day adk trip. i usually do more homework, but this is spur of the moment and would appreciate any suggestions.

i will be spending one day at heart lake and hiking colden to do some recon of the slides for a winter descent. other than that, i'm looking for any thoughts.

my previous experience in the adks has been in winter mainly to snowboard the slides, al, wright, marcy and colden mainly skinning up to snowboard down.

i feel pretty comfortable out for a few days in terms of geography and getting around. but a few questions:

o i don't have too much experience with bears - will this be a concern now?

o if so, is there someplace locally that rents cannisters? mountaineer or high peaks cycle?

o i have cramps and having read some other threads it looks like they may be a good idea...but are they necessary?

o what would anyone consider as the current conditions...a late fall hike or more of an early winter hike? this will help me to gear up properly.

thanks for any comments and ideas.

1. I would assume bears to be still active. I believe that both Mountaineer and EMS in Lake Placid rent canisters.
2. Crampons are probably not a necessity, especially if you're willing to turn around if conditions get hairy. I'd probably bring them, but I generally overpack. Depending on the weather forecast, you might consider snowshoes also.
3. Check the weather forecast, then be prepared for anything. This time of year is very unpredictable - might be warm and sunny, might snow like crazy, might do both within a very short time.
Have fun - I'm jealous! :cool:

I have conflicting advise.

I would bring the crampons. One of the threads on this site mentioned of ice on colden.

As for bears. I think they are pretty much done for the year. We were up at lake colden (where they are the worst) a few weeks ago, and saw no signs. I would definately hang a bear bag, but canisters offer an easy way to avoid bears, if you dont mind the weight. As many know on this site, I am an advocate of the bear container, having my food stolen in the past... I just think it might be overkill at this time of year.

-percious

What about hiking into the Feldspar lean to? You can hike Colden as well as Marcy, Skylight, Gray, Redfield, and Cliff from this point. You can also hike Marshall if you hike in from Upper Works.

thanks for the input oldsmores and percious...note bene.

carol:

where is the feldspar leanto? is this approached from the adk loj parking area or somewhere else in keene along the way?

also, i think i noticed some time back you had a pic of goodman stadium...am i to assume you're a lehigh grad? if so when? i graduated in '95 and played a few soccer games in goodman when the football team wasn't looking...nice field, a bit tight for soccer though.

thanks again for the suggestions all,

rob

Feldspar is on the eastern side of Colden. It puts you right within barking distance of the formentioned peaks. If you wanted a bit more solitude, you could also stay at uphill brook, and hike Redfield and Cliff.

Our fav. place to stay is Lake Colden. Easy access to Marshall (one of my favs.) and the MacIntyre range. If you never have hiked through Avalanche pass, this is a must.

Feldspar and Uphill brook Leantos will get you another 600ft or so of climbing with a full pack. They do put you right in the action however.

-percious

Kurkam - Class of June 1980. A few years before you. When I was at Lehigh the games were still played at Taylor Stadium. I still go to most of the Lehigh home games. Its not too far of a drive from where I am at in South Jersey.

Prob the quickest way to Feldspar and Uphill lean tos is via Upper Works parking lot. This is in the Newcomb area. You can get there from the Loj but this entails hiking with a full pack thru avalanche pass which I always thought of some of a bother. I don't have a map or guide in front of me to give you more details. If you go to the adirondack journeys website they have alot of detail.

percious said:
Does anyone know if avalanche lake will be frozen over by mid-november? This would make avalanche pass more appealing.

i can't give you a definitive answer about that, but i doubt it. though there was some ice ringing the lake from fairly cold temps overnight on weds. i can't imagine based on recent temps that there would be adequate cold to freeze the lake solid.

carol:

taylor was a parking lot while i was there for the rauch business center...since turned into a performing arts center and parking structure. i'm sure you know that if you've driven around campus after games.

thanks all for the advice on feldspar...i think i ended up in that region, staying in cedar point (i think?) leanto on lake colden. i managed colden, skylight and some other area recon in the two days i was there, along with a beautiful lunar eclipse from avalanche pass/lake on weds. night. the skies were brilliantly clear and the eclipse was impressive.