Advantages to Winter.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advantage: Longer nights--when else do I get 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep!

Disadvantage: Listening to my grumpy colleagues and neighbors complain about the cold and snow.

winter fun..

winter plus:I would add...being able to look around at the scenery while your'e walking, without stumbling on rocks and roots and stuff...

Louis, as in the trail to Av Pass? I hiked it for the first time in summer this year and honestly I didn't know it was so rocky. Smooth sailing in winter! Aye. Love the picture.

Last edited:
winter...

one major disadvantage i forgot to mention: having to goooooo! i know it gets "chilly" for you guys too but nothing like us girlies.

mark = gloves

you do have the option of keeping gloves or at least liners on - i'm still thinking it's worse for us -- i mean THINK about it, we have to drop our drawers! Come on! Ever tried that in minus zero????
:rolleyes:

I guess I'll put this one out there and everyone can decide whether it is an advantage or disadvantage:
Snow instead of toilet paper.

When I finally convinced my girlfriend to come winter camping in NW Ontario the mercury hit -40 and she had her period. We got off the train in nowheresville at midnight and followed the compass to a lake where we crashed on a tent fly under the stars. She had 2 3-season bags , one in the other and slept warm (luckily enough for her then and for me for the rest of my life). She says that its easier for guys to deal with their biology out there.

Disadvantage - Montezuma's revenge at -20F

Double Disadvantage - Packing it out :D :D :D

AlpineSummit-- nice avatar, what time of year did you take that picture? :D

...of course if I'm wrong and summer is the answer, well then I really just put my foot in my mouth...

Ahh Winter;

These are a few of my favorite things

Climbing a frozen waterfall and enjoying a cup of hot cider before rapelling back down.

Skiing out the AMR road under a full moon and seeing snow covered Giant appear in the moonlight.

Snowshoe descents

Sliding down the Lobster Claw into Tuckerman's Ravine.

Shortcuts across frozen bodies of water

Lunch on a bright, sunny, windless day.

Making yellow holes in the snowbanks

Schoeller dryskin

Plastic Mountaineering Boots

Goggles

Draining your hydration tube after each drink to keep it from freezing

It just doesn't get any better for me!!!

:D

Adavantages: no bugs, less people, water anywhere.

Disadvantages: easier to die, short days, gear is expensive, trickier to stay dry on the outside and hydrated on the inside.

Main advantage: Oh that magic feeling...

A major advantage for me personally is that in all other seasons I find myself going a little crazy trying to figure out what gear to bring and what gear to leave behind. In winter the decision making becomes much simpler...I just bring everything. This includes stove, headlamp, flashlight, tent(megamid) ,sleepingbag, sleeping pad; two of just about every garment ie: hats, socks, gloves, shirts, extra food etc... All the stuff your supposed to bring on most hikes but never do go into my winter pack...even if it's a day hike. In winter due to the low temps it gets driven home just how important my gear is to my comfort and survival. Another advantage is the beauty of snow, not just in how it looks but in its physical properties and what that means to a winter hiker, ie... the ability to just brush it off your head and shoulders when rain would have soaked you; the ability to form structures out of the stuff like shelters and wind breaks; the wonderful way it fills in all the nooks and crannys on a trail making them so much easier to travel on the knees and hips; the ability to look and see the presense of animals from the prints they've left behind. Disadvantage...an injury out on the trail takes on a whole different perspective when it's really freezing out.

Last edited:
All the advatage responses I agree with, also I am the most peaceful because their is such quiet solitude on a nice clear winter day. I am truly by myself with my own thoughts.
Al

In the winter I have experienced a silence that I've never experinced any other time in my life. It happens when I'm high on a mountain when the snow is falling and there is no wind.

Words to live by from our winter camping mentor,Dave April from EMS,who gave us an unintended crash course in winter hiking,as in "Look Dave...now it's snowing!...is this supposed to be happening?"

"Winter Camping is all about moisture control"

"You can't put it on if you didn't bring it"

Thanks Dave....wer're still out there!!