After hike shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pucknuts61

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions here.
I have an 8 day backpacking trip coming up this summer. I usually would wear my boots the entire time (ok, not when I'm sleeping), but now I'm thinking of bringing a pair of "comfy shoes" to wear around the campsite.
I'd need them to be light, compact, and cheap (30 bucks +-)....any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
Bill

Pucknuts61 said:
Looking for some suggestions here.
I have an 8 day backpacking trip coming up this summer. I usually would wear my boots the entire time (ok, not when I'm sleeping), but now I'm thinking of bringing a pair of "comfy shoes" to wear around the campsite.
I'd need them to be light, compact, and cheap (30 bucks +-)....any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
Bill
Some kind of sandals. I bring my sandals backpacking. I bring my sandals even in -20F temps to wear in the car on the way home. Mine were more expensive then $30 but then, I don't really own any other shoes besides those, my hiking boots and one pair of "regular" shoes. It's easy to clip them to your pack with a 'biner too.

-Dr. Wu

Personally I love my tevas after a long day of hiking, if its a little cool I throw on some clean socks too.

Yeah, i second or third, the sandals. They also can serve double duty for stream crossings. Try to get some that will grip wet rock if you can. I've got some of those strange lightweight rubber clog thingies too ("Waldies"), but they're not much good for anything other than tip-toeing around the garden and they don't feel as good as sandals to me. :D

I currently use a pair of kayak shoes, which are light but lack ventilation. So I wouldn't recommend them. Tevas ventilate well, but are heavy. The way to go in my opinion is a pair of closed cell foam clogs: light, comfortable, durable, well-ventilated and cheap. Here's a review of one variety:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...Ventilated_Clogs/Owner Review - Andrew Claus/

and the link to the clogs at the website:

http://store.yahoo.com/allheart/ahiv.html

I've seen other brands at some outdoor stores, but these look even better and cheaper.

Chucks. :D

I also like my Keen H2 sandals, but they're way out of the price range you specified.

Steve

I put on some leather slippers and don a lambs wool cardigan and sing about the beautifull day in the neighborhood.
Seriously Tevas

I love my allhearts, they aren't that great for stream crossings, but they are easy to slip on around camp...I love my tevas, and they are great for stream crossings, nice for camp...I love my water shoes, and they are the best for stream crossing, but not as cool as I'd like around camp.

Depends on weight

I think the key things for camp shoes (not in the car on the way home shoes)
1.) hard enough soles so when you walk around you don't feel every pebble
2.) the weight (luxuries are a matter of preference I think when backpacking). I thought most sandals were pretty heavy.
3.) Durability-

I splurged with my REI dividend and 20% off coupon and bought solomon tech-amphibians. I also wanted to have something in case I blew a boot I could walk out with. I think they are 1# 6 oz. These are pretty nice but over the $30 mark.

However- This summer, I backpacked with my son and I went to Wal-mart and found him a light weight pair of water shoes (weighed the different pairs on the produce scales) and he was great with them.

I think this is like most items- how much do you want to carry.

Omegaman

I have always found Tevas to be too heavy to carry for a camp shoe. I recently picked up a pair of Crocs (or is it Waldies?). I think they are around 8 oz for the pair (I know, still a luxury). I am hoping they will find double duty for fording in Maine (mine have the heel strap), but this may be overly optimistic.

Personally I think that 1 lb 6 oz is acceptable for a camp , stream crossing and a shoe that you can hike with in an emergency. They are my terra-fi's and they can be found at the REI website. ( I would make a link but I am having a hard time creating it. :( )

Last edited:
I've used slippers that have a hard bottom/rubber sole. Easy to slip on during the night also and light......

sapblatt said:
tevas...and they are pretty good for stream crossings too!

ditto

... plus extra wool socks for those cool or damp evenings.

Tevas take forever to dry and are heavy. My allhearts weigh 1/3 of my tevas, dry in minutes, are more comfortable, easier to climb into for middle of the night trips, and so far I've had no problem with 3 mild river crossings... without the back straps. But mine are snug, which probably helps. I had always lugged Tevas along. NEVER again. Ever!

no one has said flip-flops yet. these are my favorite (they weigh what, a couple ounces?) are decent for fording, and are definitely comfortable after a long day of hiking. some of the chaco sandals, i think they're called the dipthong or something, look comfortable and really stable, even though they lack a heel strap. i have a regular pair of chacos that i love, but they're too heavy to carry along.

luke

Aqua socks. Those thin soled water shoes made of mesh or open weave fabric. You can get them in increasing amounts of straps and beefyness (and expense) until they become kayak shoes. I got my last pair at campmor for $15, the pair before at kmart for $5. Lighter than a teva and very compact.

Sandals are great. All of mine come from discount stores. Never pay more than $15.

TCD said:
Sandals are great. All of mine come from discount stores. Never pay more than $15.

Indeed. I have some old heavy rubber sandals that I bought for $10. They have seen a lot of wear.

Just a couple weeks ago I was lured into EMS with a 'Winter Clearance' banner and came out a new pair of sports sandals. $4.98!!

Where is the 'cheapskate' emoticon? ;]