AFTER Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Do You Like To Eat And Drink After a Hike?

• A hot meal and a cold alcoholic beverage

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • A hot meal and a cold non-alcoholic beverage

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • A cold meal (some sort of salad) and a hot beverage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cold meal and a cold alcoholic beverage

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • A cold meal and a cold non-alcoholic beverage

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • other (please specify with a post)

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I checked other, because I usually don'T have much at all if it's not a multi-day hike (if it is, I have my supper: Freeze dried glop if solo, fancier if with someone)

The large majority of my hikes are solo, so when I finish, I just have water, hop in my car, and drive home eating the leftover hiking food I have. (nuts, pepperoni, etc.) Sometimes I'll stop and get a baked potato at a Wendy's.

If I'm hiking with a group, and some want to go someplace, I'll just follow, and whatever is there.

Pepperoni pizza and a cold Coke at The Pizza Shed in Fryeburg, ME. :)

^MtnMike^

Neil said:
I usually just jump in the car and drive straight home. QUOTE]

I don't understand that at all. For me after the hike it's party time. Time to celebrate the peaks I've just bagged. And to chill out with new found friends and chat a bit more about the adventure. Stop for coffee, of course. Pizza what the heck. Stop at the US Walmart to pickup lithium AAA's, indeed.

-Shayne

pizza and cold beer

I love Flatbread Rest in North Conway-they have great salads and yummie pizza (all organic), followed by a cold Long Trail. The perfect ending to a perfect day!!

spaddock said:
Neil said:
I usually just jump in the car and drive straight home. QUOTE]

I don't understand that at all. For me after the hike it's party time. Time to celebrate the peaks I've just bagged. And to chill out with new found friends and chat a bit more about the adventure. Stop for coffee, of course. Pizza what the heck. Stop at the US Walmart to pickup lithium AAA's, indeed.

-Shayne
I would have thought you'd be in a hurry to get home to your wife. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more. (I lied about what I do when I get home :D )

Neil and Pete said:
... drive straight home.....

Shayne said:
I don't understand that at all. For me after the hike it's party time.

Since I've given up the drugs, my split personalities have joined, and I no longer enjoy solo parties....... especially the wild.... No, I no longer talk about that.

I usually hike solo, at the end of the day I hop in my car and start the 2-3hr drive home. I'll usually grab some junk at a fastfooderie along 93. Preferably a Wendies (sure wish there were some Popeyes in NH!) for a burger and fries, maybe a salad and chili. And a big cup of diet cola. If I've got a hiking buddy along, tendency seems to be stopping at a restaurant we've never heard of and getting a hot meal. I'm not a beer drinker, usually I drink rum, but not after a hike.

I find if I eat alot post-hike I feel more bloated than that much food would've felt like without hiking, and once got some really bad cramps. Now I'm trying to keep my meal size smaller (not saying it's working - once I sit down to eat it's hard to stop after a full day in the Whites - but I'm trying)

I have a summer car kit; tevas, clean dry cotton shirt and a tiny cooler with ice water and a bottle of beer. If Im solo I usually just head home or grab something small. But if Im with a group (not often enough lately) I like to hit a place on the way home. Woodstock Inn is my favorite and the "Brakemans Lunch" is beefy goodness along-side a Pigs Ear. Play NTN trivia; loser pays..

Oh, since some people have mentioned specific places, if I'm in the Waterbury, VT area in the autumn, the #1 post-hike stop is at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill for cold cider and hot cider doughnuts. :)

Whether it's a cold or hot meal after the hike isn't as important as an ice cold Long Trail asap. Make mine Double Bag ale please.

Artex said:
I wondered if that place was any good. I'll have to check it out. :D

Very good! They don't take credit/debit though (so have some cash on you!).

^MtnMike^

The Common Man anyone?

it all depends... after a good dayhike I like to stop at McDonald's (i'm a sucker for their Filet-O-Fish sandwich and a cold fountain Coke) but if it's a long weekend and I'm sick of eating camp food, on the way home I'll stop at The Common Man (you can find them all over New Hampshire now) Great food, wine and beer, hearty portions and decent atmosphere. A little pricey, but it sure is a hell of a way to cap off a fun-filled weekend.
Matt

mlawtone said:
it all depends... after a good dayhike I like to stop at McDonald's (i'm a sucker for their Filet-O-Fish sandwich and a cold fountain Coke) but if it's a long weekend and I'm sick of eating camp food, on the way home I'll stop at The Common Man (you can find them all over New Hampshire now) Great food, wine and beer, hearty portions and decent atmosphere. A little pricey, but it sure is a hell of a way to cap off a fun-filled weekend.
Matt

Mcdonalds Filet-O-fish? well to each is own. I think the guy in my avatar would appreciate me bringing that home. I agree with the Common Man, beautiful atmosphere and good home cooked tasting food. Yes a little pricey as well. Another favorite of mine is the William Tell, not far from Welch-Dickey. After a hike on that trail I like to stop there and have either a fondue or some schnitzel. The schnitzel is as good as I had in Germany. Ah the memories. :)

After you get home and shower....

....get a slab of salmon, dust it with lemon pepper, and stick it under the broiler. Then dice a slice of red onion, cover it with shoestring carrots and top that with soy nuts, minced garlic, and some olive oil to carmelize it, and stick the whole thing on tinfoil under the broiler next to the salmon.

Then, go to the fridge and grab a Blue Moon and pour it into a frosted mug along with a lemon wedge. Repeat when necessary.

mmmm....lemon wedge........

cheers,
denton fabrics

I think a pizza, steak, and both alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks would be good. But I'd rather go with waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, and omlettes. Lots of maple syrup on my waffles!

mlawtone said:
but if it's a long weekend and I'm sick of eating camp food, on the way home I'll stop at The Common Man

Absolutely. In the winter, it's terrific to stop at the Ashland Common Man(because, really, there is no other) and head upstairs to the lounge. A hot fire in the wood stove, big comfy couches and chairs, and a fantastic hot bowl of lobster corn chowder are a fine way to top off a subzero weekend.

I always have 1 ice cold bottle of water, and 1 ice cold Corona in a cooler in my car for afterwards at the trailhead. If it was a moderate hike, the Corona is opened first, if it was a strenuous hike, then the water goes first (followed very shortly thereafter by the beer). I usually stop at the Subway in Ashland on the way home.