altimeter - Moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dms said:
Doug, I have used my Thomenem while do the 3ks, it is always accurate within 10-20 feet. When looking for a register on a scrubby flatish peak, the accuracy is essential.
Ayup! Similar results here for many years. I could resolve the altitude change of one flight of stairs (8-9 ft) with it.

For the past few years, I'll admit that I have been using the (auto-calibrating) altimeter on my GPS. But if it were really vital, I might still bring the Thommen as a backup.

Bill:
BTW, the Thommen is temp compensated, including winter temps. (Strictly speaking, you have to know the temp and humidity profile of the entire air column for the most accurate results.)

Doug

GPS feature

I use the altimeter in my Garmin etrex vista unit. I got this model specifically because it also had the altimeter capability. It does have to be calibrated but I find it to be with in 50 feet even if I don't calibrate it.

Woody

Woody48 said:
I use the altimeter in my Garmin etrex vista unit. I got this model specifically because it also had the altimeter capability. It does have to be calibrated but I find it to be with in 50 feet even if I don't calibrate it
The eTrex Vista has an auto-calibration mode which uses the GPS to calibrate the barometric altimeter. Perhaps it is turned on.

Doug

I use the altimeter reading on my Garmin Rino GPSr. I find it to be fairly accurate and reliable.

I use a HighGear AltiTech 2 I got new on eBay for about half the list price. It's pretty decent as a watch, compass, thermometer, altimeter, barometric pressure guage and chronograph. And appears to be extremely rugged as I've kept it on the outside of my pack for about three years for all four seasons including backcountry skiing. That reminds me though, I do need to get a new battery for it.