Altimeter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Highgear Altitech 2 (clip-on) and I'm happy with it. More than accurate enough for my needs when properly calibrated. Changing weather will throw the unit off but recalibrating from a known point is simple enough if you're not looking for pinpoint accuracy all the time. Serves as my watch also. I never use the digital compass.

The thermometers on these suffer a good bit from being attached to your body, so be realistic about that.

But, hey, you'll always know the temperature of your wrist.

I like my Timex. Before every hike I check the White Mountain Guide and make a list of the altitudes of each of the trail junctions. If I recalibrate at each junction, it will be pretty close when I reach the summit. If I don't recalibrate, it can be off 200' or so.

Of course it's a little disconcerting to finish a hike and find that someone has raised the parking lot 50' while I was gone.

But, hey, you'll always know the temperature of your wrist.

Don't laugh, having done more than my share of winter hiking, I noticed a corollation between my altimeter's temperature and my core temp. When I wear my altimeter under a wind shell and over a layer or polypro, if the temp reads near or less than 45F then I'm at risk of hypothermia. We all have heard it is easy to not know you are going hypothermic. Now, if you find yourself bashing thru knarly spruce covered with snow in windy 28-30F conditions (say a NHHH peak), alone, then it is quite usefull to have this means of monitoring your core temp like this.

I prefer a Taylor, aluminum clad, alcohol filled, thermometer for air temps.

You may be able to pick up some additional information here concerning analog versus digital devices.

The Altimeter Store

You might even find the deal you're after.

Good luck! ;)

By the way, I use a Thommen and love it.

:)