Anemometer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KauaiGuy

Reaction score
Gusty winds on Lion's Head started me thinking about carrying an inexpensive, handheld, pocketsized anemometer. I was surprised the outdoor stores like EMS didn't carry them. Amazon has several, but the reviews are mixed. Has anyone used one?

Yes, chime in. I have always wondered how close my guess of wind speed is. I too would like to find an inexpensive, but good, way of gauging wind speed.

I'm one of those people that Greg Yeah! knows with one. Fits in the gel pocket on my shoulder strap. Measured our wind speed on Adams and Madison accurately (based on other sites winds speeds).

Thanks...they are in use, then. Appreciate the links to various brands. As far as practical application, if you're already "there", might just as well hang on and stay safe. I'm also a sailor and can think of uses such as sail selection. Gon'na add one to my pack...

I have a Leki wind meter. It works like this:

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 349
Gusty winds on Lion's Head started me thinking about carrying an inexpensive, handheld, pocketsized anemometer. I was surprised the outdoor stores like EMS didn't carry them. Amazon has several, but the reviews are mixed. Has anyone used one?

I carry a Kestrel meter for temp/wind speed. I actually bought it for golf many years back (I believe through Amazon if I remember right - it was 2008). I use certified temperature equipment for work and my Kestrel is generally +/- 0.2-0.4 degrees from the certified units. From what I recall Kestrel was known for quality measuring devices. Not sure if that is still the case. I find the unit to be quite accurate. You should keep in mind though that temperature readings vary quite noticeably depending on where they are taken (sun vs shade, held in your hand, etc). I usually hang the unit on a tree branch or rock to eliminate body heat and sun from the equation and let it "settle" for several minutes. The units are very sensitive.

The only issue I have with it is that my model is only officially rated to 14 deg F. At the time I couldn't find one rated lower than that but I presume they must exist. (Of course I wouldn't golf when it was that cold but I liked to take it on occasion downhill skiing when the conditions at Wildcat seemed nasty). From my personal experience the unit will still measure well below zero deg F but if you leave it somewhere that it gets too cold the battery doesn't retain enough charge to power the unit and take readings. (the coldest reading I have measured is -12 deg F on Cannon, which correlated with the weather reports for the day and my truck in-dash thermometer). Despite all that I've been using the same battery since 2008. (It is also worth pointing out that as the battery loses its charge the temperature readings will get affected).

Lastly, the units are pretty expensive. (I think mine was $85 or $88). Very durable, accurate and dependable unit though. If you have the cash and like gadgets like I do I'd say go ahead and get one.