Another boot question...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
I did a search and, surprisingly, couldn't find much info on boots other than winter boots. Others questions along the lines of my question were largely unanswered. So here's my question - what boots do you folk like or dislike? I'm looking to replace my Beans mountain tread boots and am looking for a mid-height, vibram-soled, mid-weight boot. I have three pairs of the mtn treads and they have all developed an annoying and painful crease on the outside of the ankle; other than that they have been a wonder shoe, sticking to granite like glue, keeping water out, and tough enough for trailwork. So, what is your favorite boot for three season hiking?

Salomon trail runners. I used 2-3 styles (Exclaim? and ?)

I prefer full leather boots. I like the way they will conform to my feet over time, and as long as I keep 'em slathered up with some kind of waterproofing (Nikwax), they are bone dry. The downside is, if they do get soaked (and I mean SOAKED, like submerged in a stream), they double in weight- after all, wet leather holds ALOT of water!

I have owned the OneSport (now known as Montrail) Moraines for about 8 years now, and I have never even gotten a hot spot, nevermind a blister. I love 'em! They are more of a heavy-duty boot, better for HEAVY packs, or winter hiking.

The Vasque Sundowners are proven winners for mid-weight boots (although they don't have a Vibram sole).

Whatever you do, try the boots on before you buy...I stay away fom mail-orders just for this reason! Nothing can ruin a hike quicker than ill-fitting boots. :(

most shops have an experienced boot fitter who can take some time to help you find the right boot for your feet. sometimes you need to make an appointment. i have found this really helpfull especially since i am getting older and my feet are changing a bit.
peace

Like walker, I have had good luck with Raichle. Right now I have two pair of Asolo's (one lightweight, on 535GTX) and love them both.

Add another vote for Raichles. Have a pair of their SA and a pair of Badilles - they're nearly identical.

Salomons also fit me well - have a mid-weight pair of those which seem to work better in the Sierra's than a heavy-weight, full-grain leather boot like the Raichles.

Standard message: The best boots are the ones that fit you.

Try on lots of different boots and spend a lot of time in the store to find something that works well for you. All the brands mentioned make excellent boots, but they all fit slightly differently. For example, I can't wear Salomons, they just don't fit my feet. Try before you buy, spend a lot of time in the store walking around it several pairs. Bring the socks you usually hike in for the try-on. Try to do it later in the day when your feet are larger.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Try to do it later in the day when your feet are larger.
BTW, this is the opposite of the Limmers' recommendation. They prefer to fit you early in the day before swelling has occurred.

For anybody who might be considering a pair of custom Limmers, the wait is up to 42 months as of last Wednesday.

Last edited:
David Metsky said:
Standard message: The best boots are the ones that fit you.

Yeah. What he said. :D

After a lot of trial, error, and pain, I finally gave up and went to a professional boot fitter (Feet First in Plymouth, NH). Well worth the money, IMHO. I've had four years of happy feet in boots that fit like gloves. Comfy -- to the point that I hiked all day in them today and haven't bothered to take them off yet.

Now, if only the manufacturer had not discontinued them.... :mad:

Last edited:
Gregg, I don't want to walk over your question but I have a boot question of my own. I was at Limmer last Wednesday to get fit and buy a pair of limmer lightweight boots. After about 15 minutes peter said he just could not sell me their boots. Apparently my feet have what is called a long arch and a bit of a thin heel, basically my feet are very thin; he described them as a stove pipe, flat until it hits my leg then turns up. He was afraid that the crease over the toes was going to be very painful and would likely not go away. This was due to the excess space above the foot / toes. He recommended custom boots but it will be a few years so won't do me much good.

2 Questions

Does anyone know of a brand that may be better than others for this type of fit?

Is there a good place in the Boston area to buy boots? EMS and REI seem to have no employees that have a clue when it comes to boots or fitting knowledge. (or hiking gear in general)

I was at Limmer last Wednesday to get fit and buy a pair of limmer lightweight boots. After about 15 minutes peter said he just could not sell me their boots.
Please tell me you did not wait three and a half years for him to tell you this!!! :eek:

Thanks for all the replies. I know well about the best one is the one that fits, but wanted to get some ideas of where to start my search. I may try the feet first place in Plymouth; any other good boot people out there? I'll check out the boots, and site, mentioned and go from there. Thanks again.

Greg - the Garmont Flash is a worthy replacement for the Mtn. Treads. They are best for medium volume feet and high volume if you switch to thinner insoles.. The only real drawback for them is that they stick well to dry surfaces but are not grippy on wet rock.

Marty