Another Pemi traverse?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redd

Reaction score
With the recent posted related to the Pemi wilderness and my abundant time off right now (unemployed), I'd like to get up there this coming week for a traverse and some peak baggin'.

I'm thinking along the lines of a hike from Liberty Springs parking area to either Zealand Trailhead or Crawford Notch, using the AMC shuttle in between.

Planned campsites would be Garfield and Guyot sites. I also plan to travel light, no stove, bivouac, etc.

Here are my questions (given I'll be driving all the way from MD):
Anyone with experience using the shuttle?
There’s no mention on the AMC website about bear preventative measures at either wilderness campsite…is there a cable provided? Metal box? Or is it a Do it Yourself job?
Would there be a preferred direction – I prefer to park in Liberty Spring, as I’ll be coming up from WAY south, but maybe leaving the Franconia Ridge as my last day would be a little too full hearty!?

Thanks a lot!

Redd

I recently hiked from Liberty Springs to Crawford Notch... I can't answer your shuttle questions (we used the Shuttle COnnection, which was $$ due to the distance.) It was an enjoyable hike in that direction -- left a long but easy 13 miles for the final day. Franconia Ridge is beautiful and not difficult. If weather looks better at the beginning of your hike, I'd definitely head that way first.

There aren't bear boxes or cables at Garfield or Guyot, so be sure to bring some rope. Caretakers at both of the sites said bears haven't been a problem this year (probably thanks to the caretakers being so near and monitoring what people are doing.)

Have a terrific trip!

- Ivy

There's not a lot at Liberty Spring; in fact, there is no way to get to the head of the Liberty Spring Trail except by walking. There is a large hiker's lot (with privy) at the trailhead of the Whitehouse Trail, which leads to the AT at Whitehouse Bridge and then to the Liberty Spring Trail. It's the last right turn on Rte 3 before that road rises up to join I-93 through the Notch.

Whether coming or going from there, I recommend staying on the bike path when it and the Whitehouse Trail separate. The path is an easy, paved walk (just stay clear for cyclists). The trail is a bad joke that goes out of its way to be annoying.
:D

Earlier this year my son and I parked at Crawford Notch and took the AMC Hiker Shuttle to the Whitehouse Trail and then we hiked up the Liberty Spring trail for our Pemi Traverse. The AMC Shuttle cost $10 a person and we hiked back to our car. This worked out very well for us. We left Crawford Notch at 8 am and started hiking at 9 am. For us, this was the best schedule and the convenience of hiking to our car at the end worked out well. Have fun.

Woody

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input everyone. I was a little concerned about the parking situation in Franconia Notch...as its been ages since I've been there and I don't remember where the trailhead parking is actually located.

Sounds like it should be a good trip.

Redd
:D