any avalanche issues on Welch-Dickey route?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno

Reaction score
Hi all!

I haven't been on Welch Mountain before. Does anyone here that's been on the mountain think there may be avalanche possibilities because of all the snow we've had so far this late fall? I was planning on doing the Welch-Dickey route up the slabs on Saturday, and have never been there before.

Thanks!

-danno

I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen any signs of them and I've been up in the winter a half-dozen times.

I'm still alive and unbroken after not experiencing an avalanche on the entire loop today. It could be possible I guess, anything is. You can thank me later for breaking the trail. :) ;)

Have fun, it's a beautiful route. There's lots of snow up there, on the trees, etc...about 8-10 new snow I had to power through, it snowed on me all day. Very peaceful having the only sound audible being the snow falling off of confers. :)

Last edited:
TDawg said:
I'm still alive and unbroken after not experiencing an avalanche on the entire loop today. It could be possible I guess, anything is. You can thank me later for breaking the trail. :) ;)

Have fun, it's a beautiful route. There's lots of snow up there, on the trees, etc...about 8-10 new snow I had to power through, it snowed on me all day. Very peaceful having the only sound audible being the snow falling off of confers. :)
I am no expert on avalanche conditions and only know by what I have read - but from what I have read I would not think the angle on the Welch Dickey slabs is enough to get an avalanch going - any one care to comment on this I would love to read it!

The section between 2200 and 2400 ft has an average slope of ~25 degrees* according to the topo, around the lower limit where most avalanches occur. Rock slabs are also not the best surfaces for holding snow.

* Wet snow avalanches can occur at lower slope angles.

Doug

DougPaul said:
The section between 2200 and 2400 ft has an average slope of ~25 degrees* according to the topo, around the lower limit where most avalanches occur. Rock slabs are also not the best surfaces for holding snow.

* Wet snow avalanches can occur at lower slope angles.

Doug

Thanks Doug - I was thinking along those lines about the slabs - there is really nothing there to stop anything that started going downhill - pure slab - even if it is not very steep.

Thanks for the info guys!

Thanks DougPaul for the info. Though I have done quite a bit (read that as less than quite a lot) of winter hiking, I don't know anything other than what I've read on the slabs on the Welch-Dickey loop. It sounds like an avalanche would be possible on the slabs, and I will look at the snow conditions when we get to that point. In the California Big Bear area I saw the aftermath of an avalanche that I admit I was surprised ever happened. The angles were low, but they also had mixed rain/snow/rain/snow in the area when it happened. We have been lucky to have just snow so far (and will continue to have snow through the whole winter!).

I will head out tomorrow (saturday) and hope for the best.

TDawg, without question thanks a million for breaking trail ahead of me. You can bet I will thank you again while on the trail and after the I get back. Sounds like you had a beautiful hike.

I look forward to the first day of winter.

Happy snow shoeing everyone!

-danno