Any FWI'ers out there (do you feel you have to modify everything)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirobdack46r

Reaction score
FWI, means to "fool with it", usually a different word goes with the F but I toned it down for the sake of the forum.

At work they call me FWI, I even have a plaque on the wall that was made for me for the art of FWI'ing, I’m always modifying things to make them better (for me anyway) sometimes it works, sometimes I should have left it alone.

This extends to my hiking gear too. I bought a sewing machine primarily just so I can modify my gear. My GPS works best when flat and up high so I've sewn a special strap to all of my shoulder harnesses to hold the GPS. I've made and sewn on water bottle carriers where there weren't any. I’ve sewn on special straps to hold my trekking poles when not using them, made and sewn a zippered pocket inside another pocket to hold some special items. Added some upper load straps to a pack that did not have them. The list goes on.

Anyone else make any modifications to any gear that others may benefit from?

I add those little cinch clips (available cheap in various sizes) to just about any loose string, e.g croakies for my sunglasses, stampede string on my tillie hat, shoelaces and clips on the small open cargo nets on the sides of my Mountainsmith daypack ... you name it, I cinch it ... helps avoid loosing things in the wind or on bushwhacks and simpler to deal with in the field or on the water. Hmmmm ... I wonder if it would help with frozen winter shoelaces?

I pass up a lot of hairbrained FWI schemes lest it become a FIU but do occasionally send in a suggestion to manufacturers.

I welded a little piece of metal to the bridge of my eye glasses, so when they slide down I can reseat them using this. I can also use it to take my glasses on and off without the ear piece, so they won't loosen. Only problem is that now I can't stop looking at it, and I've gone cross-eyed. :D

Dug, so you are the Jerk? That was a very funny movie, one of my favorite Steve Martin films.

Johnson, Navin R.

I've been called many things in my day...jerk being one of them. :)

I always modify my packs. Just got a mid-capacity, lightweight summer pack. After looking and looking, got an Osprey Atmos 35 panel loader. Lots of innovative features and suspension. But it has a number of design disappointments.
There is an external zipper to access a mesh pocket. Great for quick to get at things. But since there is NO other internal place to put your wallet, no way I'd stick my wallet there and risk it falling out while accessing a pair of gloves. Solution, 1oz Eagle Creek zippered sac. Sewed it inside the pack, and its waterproof and weighs nothing.
Guess where Osprey puts the key hook? Right in the same zippered pocket where it gets in the way and could be knocked loose and lost.

For those of you who miss the pockets and little places to store things, the Eagle Creek waterproof sacs are great, I sew them inside of my other packs as well.
Didn't mean this as a knock on Osprey. This is my 2nd Osprey one, but I'm fussy about my packs.