Anyone planning on hiking the Cascade Brook Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Sochard

Reaction score
Be aware that the bridge 1.5 miles up (south from Franconia Notch on the AT) is gone- washed away :(
This info courtesy of the AMC Trails Supervisor.

Be aware that the bridge 1.5 miles up (south from Franconia Notch on the AT) is gone- washed away :(
This info courtesy of the AMC Trails Supervisor.

Seems like that happened a few years ago, and it was replaced with an indestructible steel bridge

Must be other flooding too

Newer bridge?

Wasn't that bridge a relatively new bridge, made with fiberglass or aluminum that was air lifted in?

I have pictures from '05 of it in pieces next to the brook, ready to be constructed.

That bridge is a truss bridge with the members made of extruded fiberglass, very durable. From what I remember it sat on rather high abutments too, but you can never be sure how high the water will get, especially if there is an ice jam upstream that hauls suddenly. It is also possible a big tree could have fallen on it and the high water swept the halves downstream. More to come later maybe.
In the last ten years we have replaced five inherited bridges on AMC trails east of Cardigan, all with better siting, design, and materials than what they replaced. My crew knows what a steep learning curve means. I sympathize with the AMC Trail Crew.
Creag nan drochaid

The Bridge

Was constructed by the AMC in 2005 with assistance and approval of the Forest Service and Appalachian Trail Conservancy. It was 50 feet long, truss style bridge built of fiberglass composite components. The parts were airlifted in and assembled on site. Bridge is now in pieces and scattered well down the brook. Will in all likelihood be a while before it can be replaced/rebuilt (funding, engineering, permitting, scheduling etc.) Mother Nature sure can leave a mark (or destroy one)

According to the WMNF website it will not be replaced before 2012.