Approaching Slide from the Neversink

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Just wondering... looking at the NYNJTC map, it looks like one could approach Slide from Denning by heading out to the "fisherman's trail", and following that all the way to the end, then bushwhacking up to the W-C-S trail. What is it like out there? I saw last year in a few trail reports that the trail along the Neversink can be tricky to follow - any other feedback or caveats to this approach? Is it crazy steep or full of dangerous cliffs or prowled by lions and tigers and bears? ;)

It looks like a nice long loop approach to Slide, but things often look a bit different on the map ;)

Yeah, we were thinking of shooting for the Cornell-Slide col, then coming back down the Curtis-Ormsbee trail, to the P-E trail (right? I'm not looking at my map right now) to head back to Denning.

Even a half mile of thick stuff can be pretty slow going... sounds like we had better get an early start.

Thanks Jason!

The fishermans trail can be confusing, but just keep headed upstream, there are gray paint spotches covering red paint on the trees. One or 2 crossings if you follow closely.There is a red can top star at the cut off for Friday, a red heart at the Lone area was removed :( .A nice trip, about 12 miles or so.

Thank you so much. You (plural) are such an awesome resource. I am very grateful to have this community to run all my potentially hare-brained schemes by!

Perhaps the heart needs to be replaced? Lone figures prominently in a novel I am writing - that little detail is such a treat to know about! It will be included in the book for sure.

Lone is a great peak, many strange things to be found and wondered at. Always keep your eyes open, enjoy the hike as well as the summit. However,
Rocky is the heart and soul of the cats. :)

Flammeus and I were planning that one - up Moon Haw Road, and down Peekamoose Rd (so the peaks are Friday, BC, Rocky, Lone, Table and Peek) - for the weekend of 9/20-21 (as a day trip - just choosing the better weather day).

Jason kindly offered to spot a car and hike with us - we travel with two big muddy dogs, so hiking (and sharing a car ride) with us is not always to everyone's taste!

If you can't make it that weekend, we could probably reschedule... so long as we don't have to wait all that long... just let me know :)

The four are on my list of things that must be done in Sept. or else.
I will probaly wait until late, hoping for some color.

I too will keep the 9/20 - 9/21 weekend open, though, I may be busy doing a S-BM traverse. I'll have to see how things pan out as the date nears.

I'd be happy to hop on for the first half or second half of the fun and assist with a car spot if that weekend stays open.
Mind if another hiking pooch joins the fun?

Alan

Bookah is a female Lab. Very much a beta dog. After the immediate meet and greet, she usually ignores other dogs so she can concentrate on terrorizing the mice, chipmunk and rabbit populations along the way.

Although I am a map addict, I'm not so familiar with the area under discussion. How would you do "half" or part of the hike? What route were you thinking of?

I think I enjoy the route-crafting almost as much as the hiking. :)

Bookah sounds like a great hiker girl. I think all will "play nice" together. My malinois seems to adore labs - she just gets all goofy and playful around them. Of course, a 65 lb malinois all goofy and playful is a force to be reckoned with - I have learned to stand back, lest she knock out my knees. My black dog (a groenendael) is the quintessential "little sister" - she wants whatever Iske has, and tries to do whatever Iske is doing. Whining with eagerness all the time. Just like children :)

H