Arcteryx Hercules (powershield o2) vs Beyondclothing cold fusion (schoeller wb400)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
I know softshells get talked about a lot, but I've got a question that pertains to a new model with a new material - polartec powershield O2.

I'm in the market for a softshell and I've narrowed it down to two options. The arcteryx hercules hoody or the beyondclothing cold fusion. I've tried on a number of softshells and I've found that a good fit is very important. I haven't tried the hercules, but I tried the griffon, which is a lower-loft version. The other option for getting a good fit is to go the custom route and get a Beyondclothing cold fusion. The arcteryx uses powershield o2. Has anyone heard of this variant? The beyond uses schoeller wb400.

My priorities from most to least important are: wind protection, water resistance, breathability, and warmth. Really though, I'm looking for a good balance of all those qualities. . I definitely don't need something completely windproof or waterproof. When the wind is howling, or it's raining steadily, I can throw on a waterproof shell. I just need something that will handle some drizzle or shed snow. The one use that I have the toughest time with is resort skiing. I ride lifts up which is cold and windy, but a lot of time I end up doing some hiking or a long traverse to access terrain and I work up a good sweat doing that when wearing a waterproof shell. That leaves me feeling clammy when I get back on the lifts. Winter hiking isn't as much of an issue because I only need to change layers a few times during the day. A softshell seems like it would be nice for winter hiking though if I could wear it almost all day.

Materials:
-The arcteryx uses powershield O2, which malden mills made specifically for arcteryx. Because of its limited use, it's kinda hard to determine the qualities of it. I believe it's supposed to be more breathable than regular powershield, but I think that means a compromise in wind protection. I do know from trying it on, that it has a really nice interior that feels great and comfortable; almost like fur. Even though it's not super stretchy, it's very compliant, which makes it feel like it's not even there most of the time. I find some materials very stiff, which make them hard to move your arms and they can feel constricting.
-The beyond clothing cold fusion uses schoeller wb400. I've heard a lot of good things about the material in terms of wind and water protection and breathability. I tried a mammut laser on, which didn't fit well, but it uses the wb400. The material is pretty comfortable with a fleece interior and its very stretchy, which makes it easy to, well to stretch. It seemed stiffer than the arcteryx though, which made it feel a bit more constricting and noticeable that I was wearing it. Perhaps with a better fit, it will be as comfortable as the arcteryx.

Construction:
-The shock is a new version of the cold fusion jacket. It offers gusseted under arms and articulated elbows, which is the same as the arcteryx. As an option, I can get pit zips on the cold fusion. The arcteryx doesn't have them. Both offer hoods.

Price:
-the beyondclothing with the options I want is $75 less expensive than the arcteryx, which is definitely something to consider.

I don't have any experience with polarshield, old or new versions, although like you I have read some not so good reviews over the years about breathability.

I do have BF cold fushion jacket which I have worn year round, often every day, for several years. I love the jacket and would recommend it highly. The color is a bit dingy now, but otherwise it shows no meaningful wear on the outside (the inside and maybe the pockets might be starting to wear).

My impression is that wb400 is the most comfortable, best overall material for winter use or all around use that I have ever seen. I have a hard time thinking of how it could be more comfortable, and even in 20 years of further clothing development, I can only really see it lighter, but not "more comfortable". It is very windproof and snowproof. It handles drizzle, even all day interminent drizzle when hiking pretty well, far better than goretex. It is warm and stretchy, and a bit like a wet suit. I have pit zips, which I recommend, but only need them occasionally in the winter. The jacket is so warm and tight I can feel a slight gap in a pocket zipper (not sure if that is a good thing, a complaint, or a bit of an obsession).

I sweat a lot and easily overheat, and in the past would take off my pit zipped goretex jacket in disgust, and just snowshoe in my base layer until I started to freeze. There is simply no comparison in terms of breathability: the wb400 is very breathable and rarely, or almost never clammy.

For winter hiking and snowshoeing, I wear it with a base layer. That is usually enough, and just right, but in really, really cold temps, -10 and below, I might wear a light fleece mid layer. It would be ok in say up to 60 degree temps when hiking. I wear it downhill skiing, including in very cold temps, with that midlayer, although on the worst days I might have wanted a bit more warmth (I needed heavy mittens more than anything).

I didn't get the zip off hood, or any hood, so that was a mistake and I would like a hood. The cut of the jacket is just below the hips, so it is regular length, and that means it is less warm on the lower back than a longer parka. I only notice this downhill skiing, so I bought bibs and on the worst days there (including the blizzard on 2/14) I wore the goretex parka. I still carry a light hard shell with a hood in the winter for emergencies. Above treeline and on the coldest windiest days descending, I have put that on, and then the BF serves as a fine mid layer.

So that is my opinion for what that is worth.

Last edited:
That's a very thorough review. Thanks so much!

When you bought your's, did they give you 3 choices each for snugness and length? In the measurements part, you put in your measurements, then you can select technical, standard, or "for layering" for snugness and then you can select "ends at top of pants fly", "end below pants fly", or "in between". If you had these options, how did you choose?