as usual, looking for some trip suggestions.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Howdy folks. Well, I'm leaving my job for a higher paying closer to home job...I'm giving myself a little bit of time off in between to decompress, and what better way then a little backpacking...I'm interested in doing this trip in VT, of which I know little about the trails/camping regulations, etc. I'd like to hit some of the peaks on the NE 100 Highest, and I might have the option of dropping my car, hiking for a couple days, and then having a friend in Burlington pick me up and bring me back to my car...that said, I'm looking to head up early next Thursday morning and hiking until Sat morning/afternoon. So any suggestions for a great 3 day, 2 night loop or "thru" hike would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks!

Captain Fantastic

I haven't done this trip yet, but it's on my list... Hmmm. Perhaps it would be a good Labor Day Weekend trip? :)

In any event, what about starting at Lincoln Gap and doing Abraham, Ellen and Camel's Hump for a one-way trip on the Long Trail. I don't have the map or guide here with me, but I remember when looking at the map that it seemed like it would be a good solid 3-day hike. Could be wrong though. But regardless, the Abraham/Ellen ridgeline section is supposed to be beautiful, and we did Camel's Hump a few years ago and it was a great summit.

I'm sure there are other out there who can give you more VT advice, but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head.

Have fun!
-Danielle

That ridge is a nice walk & distance for three days may be a bit much depending on pace. Glastenbury, Stratton & area around Baker Peak are nice, only Stratton is a NE 100 though. Maybe a trip to Jay & Big Jay before the snow flies, it usually flies there 1st.

You might consider starting at Middlebury Gap, staying at Emily Proctor or Cooley Glen, hitting Breadloaf and Wilson (both NEHH), second night continue to Battell Shelter, third day cross over Abraham (VT4K) and Ellen (VT4K) (a very sweet ridgewalk) and down to Appalachian Gap. If you want to shorten your days, ehad up to Emeily Proctor Trail and bag Breadloaf before moving on to Cooley Glen instead of starting off at Middlebury Gap. BTW, these will be tough days.