AT Speed Record Attempt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stinkyfeet said:
BTW, Traildog knows how to go reeeally light: Rumor has it he once did Owls Head in winter carrying 1/2 a bagel and a coffee mug while screaming like a maniac and scaring the crap out of his hiking partners. :D

....and Andrew joined us for the Tri's-Whiteface-Passaconaway traverse on Stinkyfeet and Frodo's initial NH4s winter record carrying only a fanny pack with one half-liter water bottle and no snowshoes (he even led part of the way while post-holing). Apparently the fanny pack with one half-liter water bottle is about all he ever carries? :D

And knowing Andy like I do I would trust him hiking to Owls head with my son like that! (ok...maybe a whole bagel to share with T) They live in Lyme NH right now and everytime my son visits thats all he wants to do is hike the AT in there backyard. Andy is the one that got my son and I addicted to the woods and exploring this great state!

Last edited:
He's behind schedule but I guess you gotta give him some credit, sponsors and all.
He left Pinkham's at 4:14 this morning and at 8:51pm he's on Little Haystack. A Presi and Franconia traverse plus in one day. Now that's a good day hike!

Quietman said:
He's behind schedule but I guess you gotta give him some credit, sponsors and all.
He left Pinkham's at 4:14 this morning and at 8:51pm he's on Little Haystack. A Presi and Franconia traverse plus in one day. Now that's a good day hike!

Indeed, especially since he wasn't starting rested, but already having done all that he has in the past week.

update on Karl!!!

Karl was in his trailer at VT 11/30 yesterday (Thursday 8/21) morning at 8:00am. He had been there two days. He has trench foot on one foot and either fasciatis or something like tunnel syndrome (didn't get the actual name) in the front of his other leg. They were talking about taking him to the hospital for treatment - I think Bennington was mentioned. Anyway, it has put a crimp in his schedule. I also talked with a south bound through hiker named "Foot note" who told me he has come across others with Trench Foot as well as guardia and one with a snapped tenon on the front of his foot!! some hurting people out there. From VT 11/30 to Mad Yom notch and return I encountered at least 8 through hikers. I guess there will be a good "showing" this year.
Gordon

From reading Karl's blog post yesterday, it sounds like he is being really smart about not risking serious injury by pushing back onto the trail too soon. Trench foot was a really serious issue in the Korean War where our infantry soldiers wore "Mickey Mouse" (inflatable rubber) boots in an attempt to avoid frost bite. Good luck to Karl in his recovery efforts.

I must admit that although I have little interest in speed records - or even in peakbagging - I have become fascinated in this story. Especially since it now seems doubtful that he will break the record (after day 29 he was almost 350 miles behind schedule... kinda tough to make up). But he's still out there slogging and I find that impressive. It also makes me more impressed with the achievement of Andy Thompson.

Tony said:
I must admit that although I have little interest in speed records - or even in peakbagging - I have become fascinated in this story. Especially since it now seems doubtful that he will break the record (after day 29 he was almost 350 miles behind schedule... kinda tough to make up). But he's still out there slogging and I find that impressive. It also makes me more impressed with the achievement of Andy Thompson.

I think that Karl realized after his 2- to 3-day shutdown in Vermont that he would not have a chance at the record, but wanted to continue for making the AT more familiar for his next record attempt.

Karl will be finishing on Springer sometime late tonight. I'm impressed that he could stay motivated to finish even though he new early on that the record was out of reach. Way to go Karl!

MikeM said:
Karl will be finishing on Springer sometime late tonight. I'm impressed that he could stay motivated to finish even though he new early on that the record was out of reach. Way to go Karl!

Congrat to Karl and the record have no importance, hiking is more than
break some record..... :)