Attempting to salvage the long weekend in Maine: The other hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
Our original plan was to head up to Kingfield, Maine on Thursday night, hike for four days and bag all 10 of the 4000-footers in the area as day hikes before heading back on July 6th. The plan started to go awry when Kim fell ill and Jen and Hui Yeng were also not feeling great. Mardi had planned to stay for the first three days, but now had to plan to be back in Boston by Saturday afternoon. Add to that the weather forecast and, well…you get the picture. Nevertheless, I packed up the car (and a few extra pair of dry socks!) and intended to stick to the original plan as much as circumstances would allow.

I arrived on Thursday night to Deer Farm Campground just outside of Kingfield. The owner there was surprised that any tenters had shown up at all for the rainy weekend. We continued to be a bit of a novelty for the regular RV-ers there for the rest of the weekend. I checked in and purchased a little firewood and had my tent and a lousy tarp set up and a fire going by the time Mardi arrived. Not long after that, Al Sochard pulled in. He was on his way home from a vacation in PEI and had spent the day rafting on the Penobscot out of Millinocket and decided to hang out with us for his last vacation day. It pretty much rained all night.

Crockers & Redington
Our original plan had been to do a big hike on Friday hitting the Crockers, Redington, Sugarloaf, Spaulding and Abraham using a car spot at the southern end of the Firewarden’s Trail off Abe. Given the shortage of hikers and cars, the weather and a late start, we dialed back those plans considerably. We decided to take Al’s high-clearance vehicle for the drive down the CVR. We only made it as far as the metal bridge before we decided the road was too bad to proceed. We started the road walk at 10:30, overshot the AT trailhead by quite a bit and had to backtrack, hitting the trail for real at 11:30:eek:. The hike up to S. Crocker went quickly and the weather was cloudy and wet. At the summit we had a quick break then took off for the trip over to Redington. The herd path is easy to find from the summit viewpoint. The path comes out on a corridor (take a right) then hits an AT boundary corridor that’s cleared (take another right) then about 100 feet from that junction cuts into the woods on the left again. The way is very easy to follow (given the trail-like quality of the path and all the flagging) as you work your way down to an area that has been clear cut. Head diagonally to the left across the clearing (wet!!!) and you will come out on a logging road where there is a cairn (and more flagging). Head up the logging road a bit and you will come to a second cairn where you re-enter the woods for the climb to the summit. More flagging helps you keep on track until you pop out at the summit where there are remnants of the wind towers and a canister. It was raining in earnest as we reached the summit, so a quick photo opp and we headed back to S. Crocker. Somehow I managed to get us off track on the way back to the logging road, despite the flagging! We eventually made it back out and found the cairn to get us back on track. We popped out on S. Crocker completely drenched from the rain and the car wash of the path and surprised a couple who had just arrived at the viewpoint.

Another quick break at the junction and then a speedy trip over to North Crocker. Our only morsel of good weather came as we were on our way out…the sun came out just as we got to the viewpoints where the trail is more of a field of boulders. I wandered on ahead of the other two and when I reached the CVR I continued on the AT to check out the crossing of the Carrabassett. This would have been part of our original hiking route, and I discovered that it was uncrossable.

We arrived back at the campground to find our friends established at the site next door. They had a great tent set up over the picnic table that proved very handy when the rain started up again. We said farewell to Al and hello to Kim’s Stoli Dolis. We cooked dinner on our stoves and enjoyed the evening as much as possible considering the circumstances. It rained pretty much continuously for the next 15 hours.

Ice Age 3
On Saturday we woke up to…wait for it…rain! :mad: We cancelled all plans for hiking since some in the group were already fighting illness and no one could get excited about being out in the rain all day. The iPhone came out and in no time we had the movie listings at the cinema in Farmington. Went out for breakfast, at the Woodsman in Kingfield. Then we went to scout out the trailhead for the Firewarden’s trail to Abraham for future use. To get there, take the W. Kingfield road off of Rt 27 and continue on after the paved road ends about 2.7 mi. Left at the fork. I believe the trailhead is another .7 miles further, but we couldn’t find out because about .2 miles from the Y you come to a bridge that is impassable by all but the most rugged of vehicles (see photos).

Headed to Farmington, confirmed the movie times and proceeded to waffle about whether to see a film or not given that the sun had finally come out. The group finally decided to see the movie and then have drinks/food. We emerged from the theater to find dry pavement…that quickly became wet as it started raining! Headed over to the brewpub for a couple of hours and then back to our wet campground. We did get a fire going and had fun with some fireworks (and more Stoli Dolis!:D). Marchowes joined us for the evening.

Avery, West Peak and the Horns
On Sunday the rest of the group decided to head over to Rangely to hike Saddleback and The Horn before heading home. I had planned to stay through Monday and wanted to do the Bigelows that day to “take advantage of the good weather”, so we went our separate ways:(. Both groups were tricked by the sunny weather we were enjoying at low elevations. See Adventurous’ posting on their hike. Although I had no sun and no views, the day was still enjoyable because a) I was in a new place and b) it didn’t rain on me at all. I took the fire warden’s trail up to the AT. About a quarter mile in I came to a crossing that is an outlet for Stratton Brook Pond. Mardi describes this as being a “trickle” when she was there just a few weeks ago. Let’s just say I was glad I packed the Crocs at the last minute! The rest of the hike up was very pleasant. Once on the AT, I hurried on over to Avery. As I got into more exposed territory the wind picked up a bit and it was more foggy than it had been lower down, but it was not very cold and not raining. I took a quick summit photo and made my way back along the AT.

Surprise, surprise, the conditions on West were the same as on Avery. I was very disappointed not to have the great views I know can be had along this ridge. I guess I’ll have to make it back some day (soon!). On to the Horns and down towards Horns Pond. Passed a group of boys and their leaders who were backpacking through the area. They had what seemed like an ambitious plan for the day given the overall energy level in the group. They were being picked up after two more days, so hopefully Monday’s good weather made up for what was probably a rather dreary outing.

On to the Horns Pond campsite where I finally got some views (from the privy…here’s to you, Dr. Wu!). Hike out was uneventful and quick. Decided it was too much trouble to change shoes for the water crossing on the way out.

Saddleback and The Horn
Now this is what it’s all about! It didn’t rain Sunday night. I took a shower and enjoyed a nice fire and some reading time at my site before turning in. I awoke to bright sunshine and quickly packed up all my gear. The drive over to Rangely took longer than I expected, but I didn’t mind because it was so nice out. I talked to Kim briefly just before heading up the trail – she was headed back to the doctor to get another assessment of her condition and possibly more meds. The climb up the ski slopes was messy – very soft and muddy. But I didn’t care because it wasn’t raining! And the sun was out! After reaching the top of the upper lift where there is a first aid shack, it was easy to find the trail up to the AT. Once up on top of the ridge, I got really excited. The views were great and this is just the kind of exposed hiking that I like. I stopped for just a couple of minutes on the Saddleback summit and then headed on to The Horn. There are some very wet and muddy spots along the way – in fact, my feet were under water through one section (no idea how Kim et al managed to avoid it). But I didn’t mind, because it wasn’t raining and the sun was out! The climb up to The Horn was incredibly pleasant. I didn’t meet any more hikers until I was most of the way back to Saddleback. Stopped for a little lunch and sunbathing on Saddleback before I reluctantly started the trip back to the lodge. I had a long drive home, so I couldn’t spend more time lingering on the peak (a good thing, too, because sunscreen was not part of my kit for this weekend!). But I didn’t mind, because it wasn’t raining and the sun was out!:):):):)

Pictures from the weekend are here: Rangely-Stratton

Rebecca

Very well done. It's important to know when to hike in the pouring rain, and when to pour vodka-based drinks.

This was a fun, thoroughly wet day out with Rebecca and my new friend Al. I would add that Friday's hike took a long time. We weren't out of the woods until 6:15, making it a seven or eight hour hike depending on how long our backtrack to find the AT actually took us. The herd path was slowgoing- probably a mile an hour. I believe the total distance was 9.6 miles or so.

I'm glad that the sun finally showed it's face for you on Monday. Persistence pays off and it certainly did in your case. You definitely made the best of a dismal weekend...weatherwise. Despite the weather and feeling like crap all weekend - I still had fun hanging out with everyone. I can't wait to head back to this area in good weather.

You want good weather? Winter's coming soon! :D Doesn't rain then, usually.

Sounds like you all had a great weekend regardless of the rain. That Stratton Brook Pond outlet in your photos is higher than I've ever seen it, and I've been there a lot.

So, how was the movie? :rolleyes:

Sounds like an awfully fun time despite the weather!

Dave, that's why I added the "usually."

Remember, I'm the guy who didn't get to do his #67 at Redington because of the nice late December rain. (Got it the next October, though I still have to return and climb it in winter.)

Many of the mountains in that area are way too isolated to risk doing them in seriously hypothermic conditions.

Oh, and the answer to your question is a bigger number than I dare to post on this family site. :eek:

Way to go girl, it is all about your attitude! :rolleyes:

This area is worth returning to again and again!

I will be up there sometime next week if I can sneak out of work for a few days... :)

but we couldn’t find out because about .2 miles from the Y you come to a bridge that is impassable by all but the most rugged of vehicles (see photos).

Just an FYI - a trail conditions report posted here from July 6th states "When we were there Monday, bridges appeared to be being measured for repairs and seeing as the truck that carried the measurers was bigger than mine I followed them as did others with good ground clearance." So anyone looking to get up there, it sounds like there will be access again, maybe even soon.